[GS] June 2019 Patch Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I specifically said "in one way or another" to specify all the victory types. Religious victory is one Religion dominating all the others, Culture victory is having
one Civilizations culture dominate all others, diplomatic victory is using diplomacy to dominate world politics. The only one that doesn't fit is the Science victory
that involves leaving for space.
You're conquering space/have mastered technology unparalleled

Soon. The most hated word on the internet.

It was a fun stream. I knew it was big but a lot of interesting things big and small.
Better settler placement UI and AI looks a small thing but could hurt the human player a lot on the early game on 2 highest difficulties. Where the human can’t keep up wit settling due to bonus for AI. This might just be another difficulty level on its own. If the AI plants down its cities more efficiently like a human can on some starts.
+ I’m liking the work on UI and balance. Some serious development time went into this patch.

They said there were some things in the early game they couldn't show today. Was that a reference to the overhauled pantheons? Or might there still be something else they haven't revealed?

Looks as though this is a 'farewell to Civ VI' patch - a much bigger update than most patches, most of which seems devoted to fixes that seem to be the game's intended 'final form', including long-awaited fixes to features like excess GP points that they could really have added at any point.

I'm hopeful the 'surprise' is a new civ, ideally Babylon to complete the Original Twelve. An early game feature they may not want to reveal could be the Statue of Zeus.

Looks as though this is a 'farewell to Civ VI' patch - a much bigger update than most patches, most of which seems devoted to fixes that seem to be the game's intended 'final form', including long-awaited fixes to features like excess GP points that they could really have added at any point.

I'm hopeful the 'surprise' is a new civ, ideally Babylon to complete the Original Twelve. An early game feature they may not want to reveal could be the Statue of Zeus.

I am definitely not reading this as a "farewell to Civ VI" patch. They indicated multiple times on the stream today that more patching is forthcoming, and that some of these changes are "first passes." Plus they have recently heightened their engagement with us on CFC quite a bit more.

Also, Dennis ended by saying: "We are not done. There is some really cool stuff coming up. Can't talk about it yet."

If anything, I see this patch as indicating that they've got more support planned.

Nice changes.

Now if only they added the Civilopedia to the main menu! :D

I am definitely not reading this as a "farewell to Civ VI" patch. They indicated multiple times on the stream today that more patching is forthcoming, and that some of these changes are "first passes." Plus they have recently heightened their engagement with us on CFC quite a bit more.

Also, Dennis ended by saying: "We are not done. There is some really cool stuff coming up. Can't talk about it yet."

If anything, I see this patch as indicating that they've got more support planned.

I agree that this isn’t any indication that Civ6 is in final form. This patch seems to overhaul the loose ends in GS and fix some longstanding issues that have affected the game since Day 1. The game will be tighter and balanced in preparation for whatever comes next, but Dennis and co. seemed firm that more was coming.

Also, I don’t think they would throw in a new civ into a patch. FXS is doing great with player service right now, but they are not going to give away the house...

My notes from the livestream: (I tried not to duplicate items from my previous notes from the earlier video)
I was typing as I watched it, and didn't go back to watch frame-by-frame, so I probably missed some things
that showed on the screen that they didn't talk about.
  • They said the full patch notes are some 12 pages long. Lots of bugs fixed.
  • UI:
    • Mini-map on load game menu
    • Settle recommendation tool tip shows reasons why spot is good
    • Stats on diplomacy ribbon (score, military strength, science, culture, gold, faith, diplomatic favor)(more than CQUI!)
    • Gossip now moved toward right side of screen (collapsed to one item by default)
    • Combat notifications to left of that
    • New gossip report (with filters)
    • Pantheon chooser is now a menu on the left so you can see the map
    • Production panel now defaults to production queue if in use
    • Bodies of water are now labeled
    • National parks named and labeled
    • Power Lens explained:
      • green = powered
      • no color = doesn't need power
      • red = needs power and is not powered
      • Also shows range of power plants (white border lines)
  • Pantheon rebalance
    • Goddess of the Hunt now +1 Food +1 Production from Camps
    • Goddess of Fire (+2 Faith from Volcanic Soil, +2 Faith from Geothermal Fissures)
    • Oral Tradition gone
    • Goddess of Festivals +1 Culture (was Food) from all Plantations
    • Fertility Rites now also gives you a free Builder
    • Religious Settlements now also gives you a free Settler
    • Goddess of the Harvest is gone
    • Earth Goddess now +2 Faith from Breathtaking tiles (was +1 from Charming and Breathtaking)
    • God of Craftsmen now +1 Production +1 Faith from all Strategic Resources (was +1 Production from Strategic Resource Mines)
  • Culture
    • Nerf Great Works of Writing from +4 Culture/+4 Tourism to +2 Culture/+2 Tourism
      • Still doubles w/Printing Press
  • Great People Points that can't be applied (e.g. Great Prophet points after all religions founded) now converted to Faith points
  • Districts
    • IZ
      • +1 for every 2 adjacent Mine tiles (was +1 each)
      • +1 for every 2 adjacent Lumber Mills tile (new)
      • +1 for every adjacent Strategic Resource tile (new)
        • Mined Strategic Resources count toward Mine bonus too
      • +2 for every adjacent Aqueduct, Bath, Canal, Dam tile (new)
  • Buildings
    • Workshop buffed from +2 to +3 Production
  • Policies
    • Diplomatic
      • Music Censorship
        • Rock Bands from other players may not enter your territory.
        • -1 Amenity in all of your cities with 10 or more Population.
  • World Congress
    • Diplomatic Victory now requires 20 points (on Standard?)
    • Vote for Diplomatic Victory is now +2 or -3
    • Potential +5 in one session: +1 ea resolution +2 for voting for self, +1 winning vote for self???
    • Statue of Liberty +4 DV points
    • Potala Palace +1 DV point
    • Mahabodhi Temple +2 DV points (was +1)
    • Competitions give +1 DV point to winner
    • Aid Request Buffed from +1 to +2 DV points
    • Aid and Military Requests now give the aid given to the target
  • Units
    • Upgrades no longer loose bonus abilities of previous units
    • Combining units (into corps/armies) now combine special abilities of all units (no duplications)
    • Rebalanced which units require which strategic resources (particularly horses, iron and niter, but no details given)
    • Battering Ram no longer effective against Medieval and Renaissance Walls,
      but now upgrades into Siege Tower
    • Siege Tower no longer effective against Renaissance Walls
    • Movement increase for Mobile SAM, Rocket Artillery, and Modern AT (not detailed)
  • AI
    • City/district defense
    • Tactical maneuvers
    • City settlement decisions and aggression
    • Ranged attacks vs districts
    • Operational movement around mountains and such
    • Diplomatic Trading
    • Leader tweeks to make them play their own game
  • Noted that Firaxis QA does a lot of smoke testing and gameplay testing while 2KQA does a lot of detailed testing on multiple platforms, hardware configurations, etc.
  • Holding patch release until it is ready for all platforms (and cross-platform multi-player), so no release date announced, but "soon"
  • Dennis ended by saying they're NOT done with Civ VI, there is more to come after this patch!

Looks as though this is a 'farewell to Civ VI' patch

that big blank spot on the wall behind them is very telling... That isn't by accident. I am guessing this will be a farewell to GS patch though. Doubt we'll see any more major changes to GS until new content comes out.

I agree that this isn’t any indication that Civ6 is in final form. This patch seems to overhaul the loose ends in GS and fix some longstanding issues that have affected the game since Day 1. The game will be tighter and balanced in preparation for whatever comes next, but Dennis and co. seemed firm that more was coming.

Also, I don’t think they would throw in a new civ into a patch. FXS is doing great with player service right now, but they are not going to give away the house...

Agreed. Although, at this point, I’m reluctant to make any guesses about what FXS will do. The amount of effort and innovation they’re throwing at the game this year is nuts.

Some of the stuff in the last patch also feels like it’ll need some balancing as well just because some mechanics will need to be completely reworked. So, hopefully that’s an indication of further support.

I think there is still room for some key new content. And some of the more bland mechanics from RnF could still use another look. I don’t think we can expect anything as big as GS, but I think we can still expect some very cool stuff.

My notes from the livestream: (I tried not to duplicate items from my previous notes from the earlier video)
I was typing as I watched it, and didn't go back to watch frame-by-frame, so I probably missed some things
that showed on the screen that they didn't talk about.
  • They said the full patch notes are some 12 pages long. Lots of bugs fixed.
  • UI:
    • Mini-map on load game menu
    • Settle recommendation tool tip shows reasons why spot is good
    • Stats on diplomacy ribbon (score, military strength, science, culture, gold, faith, diplomatic favor)(more than CQUI!)
    • Gossip now moved toward right side of screen (collapsed to one item by default)
    • Combat notifications to left of that
    • New gossip report (with filters)
    • Pantheon chooser is now a menu on the left so you can see the map
    • Production panel now defaults to production queue if in use
    • Bodies of water are now labeled
    • National parks named and labeled
    • Power Lens explained:
      • green = powered
      • no color = doesn't need power
      • red = needs power and is not powered
      • Also shows range of power plants (white border lines)
  • Pantheon rebalance
    • Goddess of the Hunt now +1 Food +1 Production from Camps
    • Goddess of Fire (+2 Faith from Volcanic Soil, +2 Faith from Geothermal Fissures)
    • Oral Tradition gone
    • Goddess of Festivals +1 Culture (was Food) from all Plantations
    • Fertility Rites now also gives you a free Builder
    • Religious Settlements now also gives you a free Settler
    • Goddess of the Harvest is gone
    • Earth Goddess now +2 Faith from Breathtaking tiles (was +1 from Charming and Breathtaking)
    • God of Craftsmen now +1 Production +1 Faith from all Strategic Resources (was +1 Production from Strategic Resource Mines)
  • Culture
    • Nerf Great Works of Writing from +4 Culture/+4 Tourism to +2 Culture/+2 Tourism
      • Still doubles w/Printing Press
  • Great People Points that can't be applied (e.g. Great Prophet points after all religions founded) now converted to Faith points
  • Districts
    • IZ
      • +1 for every 2 adjacent Mine tiles (was +1 each)
      • +1 for every 2 adjacent Lumber Mills tile (new)
      • +1 for every adjacent Strategic Resource tile (new)
        • Mined Strategic Resources count toward Mine bonus too
      • +2 for every adjacent Aqueduct, Bath, Canal, Dam tile (new)
  • Buildings
    • Workshop buffed from +2 to +3 Production
  • Policies
    • Diplomatic
      • Music Censorship
        • Rock Bands from other players may not enter your territory.
        • -1 Amenity in all of your cities with 10 or more Population.
  • World Congress
    • Diplomatic Victory now requires 20 points (on Standard?)
    • Vote for Diplomatic Victory is now +2 or -3
    • Potential +5 in one session: +1 ea resolution +2 for voting for self, +1 winning vote for self???
    • Statue of Liberty +4 DV points
    • Potala Palace +1 DV point
    • Mahabodhi Temple +2 DV points (was +1)
    • Competitions give +1 DV point to winner
    • Aid Request Buffed from +1 to +2 DV points
    • Aid and Military Requests now give the aid given to the target
  • Units
    • Upgrades no longer loose bonus abilities of previous units
    • Combining units (into corps/armies) now combine special abilities of all units (no duplications)
    • Rebalanced which units require which strategic resources (particularly horses, iron and niter, but no details given)
    • Battering Ram no longer effective against Medieval and Renaissance Walls,
      but now upgrades into Siege Tower
    • Siege Tower no longer effective against Renaissance Walls
    • Movement increase for Mobile SAM, Rocket Artillery, and Modern AT (not detailed)
  • AI
    • City/district defense
    • Tactical maneuvers
    • City settlement decisions and aggression
    • Ranged attacks vs districts
    • Operational movement around mountains and such
    • Diplomatic Trading
    • Leader tweeks to make them play their own game
  • Noted that Firaxis QA does a lot of smoke testing and gameplay testing while 2KQA does a lot of detailed testing on multiple platforms, hardware configurations, etc.
  • Holding patch release until it is ready for all platforms (and cross-platform multi-player), so no release date announced, but "soon"
  • Dennis ended by saying they're NOT done with Civ VI, there is more to come after this patch!

I’ve commented on big stuff elsewhere. But there are lots of really great small changes - eg defence to Rock Bands which are really interesting. UI stuff is just awesome.

I feel like there is maybe too much GDR in the game. They said they wanted to them to be like “Walking Wonders” but now you get them for free?

Part of the problem is that there aren’t other future units so the GDR doesn’t stick out so much. But I also think GDRs are just too easy to build / get.

I’m fine Civ having a whole Mecha thing, to me Civ is a science fiction game just one that plays out across all of history. But the trick is to make sure the real sci-fi stuff is just at the edges and has context. So when the game does get a bit gonzo it feels “wow” not overwhelming.

This gets me wondering what the final patch for Civ 5 was, and what Firaxis's communications were near that time. I remember that sometime after BNW was released, there was a patch that added Cocoa and Bison to Civ 5. I got my first civ game (Civ 5 complete) sometime between BNW and Bison/Cocoa patch... which I think was the last major patch.

Anyway back on topic... it's almost too bad about this canada/lumber mill love since I just played a whole canada game with the "better canada" mod, so I don't feel like doing another one right now. Maybe sometime in the future...

This gets me wondering what the final patch for Civ 5 was, and what Firaxis's communications were near that time. I remember that sometime after BNW was released, there was a patch that added Cocoa and Bison to Civ 5. I got my first civ game (Civ 5 complete) sometime between BNW and Bison/Cocoa patch... which I think was the last major patch.

Anyway back on topic... it's almost too bad about this canada/lumber mill love since I just played a whole canada game with the "better canada" mod, so I don't feel like doing another one right now. Maybe sometime in the future...

There was some minor DLC with the last patches. A few map scripts and a free scenario, I think.

After that was radio silence until BE was announced adjacent to E3.

Perhaps Holy Site will become the most valuable district after this patch.
This time Friaxis is clearly starting to adjust balance in earnest. This indicates they've been working on other things for years, like new expansions. So, GS may really be the last expansion of Civ6, which is a bit sad.

Yeah, feels more and more like we won’t get a Third XP, although perhaps still some dlc with additional Civs and leaders.

If we’re lucky, dlc might have some mechanics that fill in a few remaining gaps, but I can’t imagine we’ll get anything huge.

I really really hope I’m wrong. The game is in great shape, but it would really benefit from a little longer support. I still think there are a few areas where the game maybe still hasn’t quite hit its straps - ideology and global conflicts, future era techs, and some of the mechanics introduced in RnF.

Last edited:
I am concerned that the defense of rock bands card, while valuable, won't be as useful as expected. IIRC, someone tested it, and even if all of the usage goes against one civ, you still build enough tourism (or foreign tourists) to become influential and win.

So, realistically, if someone uses it, the answer is just to send your rock bands somewhere else and win anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom