1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

June/July Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

You misread that line. Just to make it a bit clearer:

UI Addition: Combat preview for Aircraft.

As in, air units now have the same style combat preview that most others have.

2. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

They also mentioned shifting the position of dynamite around, so it may have something to do with that as well. But reading between the lines here, this suggests to me that this is part of nerfing the longsword rush while trying not to nerf other military units. So giving swords and pikes more of a window, and reducing the longsword window before more advanced units come out (muskets and rifles). And perhaps slightly increasing the window of rifles before people get to infantry. I may be totally off-base, but that's what these changes say to me anyway.

3. snoochems

snoochems Prince

Seems I misread the changes to Theocracy... wow... that is a huge hit to happiness. I was already concerned with the other nerfs to happiness. Maybe Firaxis just does not want use to have any kind of vertical or horizontal growth?

I'm suddenly not so keen on this patch. I enjoy building more than two cities and expanding. I hate this whole global happiness system. Ugh.

4. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

I think some people need to calm down, yes there are a lot of nerfs but if you look at the patch notes as a whole you will see a clear, unique gameplay philosophy... They are trying to force players to adapted a greater synergy between their techs, policy's and play style.

Personally I love the changes, it'll force all the n00bs who think they're pro because they LS rush on higher dif to drop back to warlord... lol

5. snoochems

snoochems Prince

efa.

5char

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Yes... Because you obviously have the ability to precisely describe the exact impact of all the diverse changes, and know EXACTLY how the game will play post-patch. Yep. Zero need to even play the game to know that it is now meant to be played with no more than 3 cities.

Again. Wait for the patch, before making any statements of that nature. Same goes for saying it's a godsend, of course, but frankly: You have not played it yet, have no idea how it all functions together, and simply have to wait and see. Your pet strategy may be altered or gone, but there will be new ones.

7. Babri

Babri Emperor

One thing I don't get is that instead of nerfing City healing they nerfed defence buildings. That does not feel right. Now you are forced to blitz the enemy as cities will have fewer HP but will still heal quickly.

8. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

Pick honour and those defensive buildings will get back all the nerfs to the happiness buildings

9. snoochems

snoochems Prince

You still have to then build those defensive buildings in each city basically.

10. Mesopotamian

Mesopotamian Warlord

11. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

These nerfs to happiness look terrible. I think most of the other changes are absolutely fantastic though :) And they must have playtested the nerfs before they introduced them, so hopefully it is all balanced out :)

12. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Btw:

Hanging Gardens now give 10 Food instead of 1 population per city and Happiness.

10 food per turn for the city it is build in? That sounds like a ridiculous amount.

13. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

I think it is probably 10 food spread across your empire.

14. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes! I love you people. Just what I was wishing for!

15. Foos56

Foos56 Chieftain

"Himeji bonus reduced to 15% from 25%, and provides a free Castle in the city where it was built."
    2K Greg- What if the city has no wall built in it?

I'm glad the initial wonders have been nerfed, since the trend over the last patch nerfed early game improvements (i.e. TP's lost 1 gold, mines no longer included in Golden Age buff, etc.) Overall this patch looks intriguing.

I do have to agree with civnoob13 - WTF happened to factories? I could see dropping it to 33%, or even 25%, but 10%? That's an abysmal nerf. I'd strongly suggest the Dev Team reconsiders that. 2K Greg, can you explain your reasoning for doing so?

16. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Whether it's 10 food in one city, or spread across your empire (which seems weirder, I'd say, because the distribution formula probably wouldn't feel very intuitive, and then they could use the same for maritime CS, which are the only ones that don't give a fixed amount of something), it's now a pretty solid wonder, I'd say, comparing to the others from its era.

@Foos: remember that late game production costs have been reduced. The bonus from factories probably isn't as needed now.

17. CTH

CTH Prince

Late game buildings cost less to build now, perhaps that is the reason. However I do agree that it sounds a bit low.

18. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I demand they take this stupid America Power stuff out of this game and not have Order and Freedom exclude each other out! The developers prejudice should not affect the game, especially when we are talking about the Civilization series!

19. Foos56

Foos56 Chieftain

@elprofesor: Good point, but a 40% nerf still seems overly dramatic... but you do get that extra hammer. Meh, I won't lose sleep over it.

20. Knut_Are_M

Knut_Are_M Prince

I looks to me like policys are much more important now.
    particularily the happiness granting policys. If you stack em that is +6 happiness per city with all culture and defence buildings.
    you can also get +3 per city if you get both military caste,meritocracy and order.

all in all it is possible to deal with the unhappiness, but you need to invest early in culture to get it. You really need those wonders and culture buildings.

Early rex got hit by a huge nerf stick. settling on lux gets 1 pop before policys.
    (-2.5 if india! go culture india).

at first glance aztec river start looks nice. Get water wheels+ hanging gardens + monarchy for an inzane peaceful 1 city start.

Egypts bonus to wonders is better now, because great engineers come after the first wonder.