Just cancelled my preorder of Civilization 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the version that was up for a short time on the website by mistake was also speaking Aramaic.
The people demand a linguistics professional listen! Please release video to the public now. :mischief:

So the OP mistook Aramaic for Arabic. I took him at face value, but now I feel (and look) foolish for assuming he was correct in his assessment in the first place.

This is the perfect response to those who claim we should have been taking the OP's panic seriously. Ten pages of melodrama over something which wasn't true even to begin with...

Meh, I'm still glad we had the conversation. Now I will know what language he will speak and why. If you don't like reading melodrama, you really weren't forced to. I thought the discussion had merit, even if it ended up being based on speculation (how many threads here are based on speculation, after all!)

Actually, the version that was up for a short time on the website by mistake was also speaking Aramaic.
Huh. Go figure.
:mischief:
...Why it was up "by mistake", while some of the leaders on the Civ5 site still have sample speech available?

@Mod: Maybe it is possible to copy Gregs statement to the first page?

Done.

Should just close this thread. Its a Non Starter thanks to 2K Greg!!!

Discussion threads will not get closed, just because the topic is not valid anymore. There can still be good discussions about the topic ;).

Case closed. Exoma probably thought that Darius was speaking Arabic since it's a semitic language like Arameic. Farsi (spoken in modern Iran) is Indo-European. :ack:

So, lemme get this straight...

It turns out that OP himself was historically inaccurate about the language being spoken at the time?

Classic and epic fail.

Case closed. Exoma probably thought that Darius was speaking Arabic since it's a semitic language like Arameic. Farsi (spoken in modern Iran) is Indo-European. :ack:
...Or his Islamic friends made fun of him and said "oh yeah, definitely, it's a modern Arabic here", and then had few laughs at his gullibility xP

In any case, Greg, 2k and Firaxis just scored yet another chunk of brownie points from me for fast response and rational approach :king:

Hey guys,

Just so you know, Darius is speaking Aramaic, not Arabic. I am told that Aramaic is the historically correct language for the time.

So, Exoma, can we expect to see your pre-order renewed? ;)

GAME OVER!

WINNER: Civ fans everywhere.

PLEASE ENTER INTIALS

A _ _

It turns out that OP himself was historically inaccurate about the language being spoken at the time?

Classic and epic fail.

That'll be soon corrected when the mighty anglo-american empire liberate his country...he will soon be speaking american...and with a texan accent too.

That begs the question if Exoma's Arab-understanding friend(s) put a prank on him. ;)

Depends how you see it. Exoma posted at some point that Aramaic was the language of the leading class, and the Persian of the time spoken by the common people.

Hey guys,

Just so you know, Darius is speaking Aramaic, not Arabic. I am told that Aramaic is the historically correct language for the time.

So, Exoma, can we expect to see your pre-order renewed? ;)

So, what's the story with Ramesses and Arabic? Is that historically correct too?

The question that now stands....... Are you going to re-preorder?

Why is this an issue since all them people is dead anyways?

Because Exoma believes that Persia = Iran and that because Darius doesn't speak modern-day Farsi, he's gonna rage quit his pre-order, despite the fact that it would be historically inaccurate to have Darius speak Farsi, since he actually spoke Aramaic, and Farsi is apparently as far away from Aramaic as Hindi is from Bocce (e.i. pretty far).

TL,DR; it's about OP being mad about a problem that didn't really exist.

Good riddance, if you're going to notice something this unimportant (the leaders didn't even speak in previous versions!) then I'd rather you go nitpick something else. Make sure the door hits you in the head on your way out!

<--- relieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom