Just please help

Elit3

Chieftain
This will be the second time ive tried to play this game.
specs:
intel 4 2.8
graphics- geforce FX 5200 (yes i have tnl)
1gig ram
win 2000

i can start playin this game. but i get black terrain. game crashes.
cpu reboots. the whole 9 yards. i know my graphics card isnt the best.
but ive heard that this game is supported by this graphics card. am i wrong or
what? and if anybody can help me ... then help.:cry:

Patch the game to version 1.61 if you haven't already done so. Just select check for updates in the ingame advanced options menu. If that doesn't work you can download it manually from the official Civ 4 site. That graphics card isn't great, but I've got the game to run stably on a computer with the same card and half the RAM.

ok thanks alot. since i just reinstalled the game i havent updated the patch. thanks for swift reply. i will comment and see if it works :)

Also .. does game run fine on this card? i mean im the type of person who likes to play big games with lots of civs... Massive. I would be playin civ 3 but the AI is wayyy to disloyal, backstabbin son of a ..... you can figure it out. anyway, hows it play?

I think your card would start to struggle toward mid-game eras if you're set on playing huge maps with the max. number of civs. The 256mb version would cope better but not by much. I had that card myself but upgraded to a 6600 instead since it couldn't cope with the videos. The FX5200 isn't a good card for games of CivIV's nature.

You can however try a few tweaks:
- Go to the nvidia control panel through the Display control panel. Switch the Image quality to Performance or High Performance and set the Anti-alising to off.
- Civ4 settings, lowest graphic settings possible and the lowest res possible plus Anti-alising samples to zero.
- Switch the Wonder videos off, you're not missing all that much anyway.
- Increase the AGP aperture if your card uses the port. Increase to either 128mb or 256mb but no higher. This setting is found in the BIOS setup usually under 'Advanced Chipset features'.

Hopefully, those tweaks might help abit.

Zanmato said:
I think your card would start to struggle toward mid-game eras if you're set on playing huge maps with the max. number of civs. The 256mb version would cope better but not by much. I had that card myself but upgraded to a 6600 instead since it couldn't cope with the videos. The FX5200 isn't a good card for games of CivIV's nature.

You can however try a few tweaks:
- Go to the nvidia control panel through the Display control panel. Switch the Image quality to Performance or High Performance and set the Anti-alising to off.
- Civ4 settings, lowest graphic settings possible and the lowest res possible plus Anti-alising samples to zero.
- Switch the Wonder videos off, you're not missing all that much anyway.
- Increase the AGP aperture if your card uses the port. Increase to either 128mb or 256mb but no higher. This setting is found in the BIOS setup usually under 'Advanced Chipset features'.

Hopefully, those tweaks might help abit.
IMHO, mid ages slowness is not related to VGA card. I already upgrade my VGA card thinking that I will resolve mid ages slowness problem. But, it is still bloody slow. Looks like upgrading CPU to faster one will solve the problem than upgrading your VGA card.

Regards,
Arto.

Ok well the game does work. though a bit choppy. I was wondering though. the game does slow down toward the end.. 2.8 is by no means slow. and I have 1g RAM. Should i really get a faster computer do deal with the increase of military units late game? or more memory? Or is this problem a combination of both. And if so. which is more important.

Top Bottom