K-Mod + DoC = Awesomenss

Danwood

Warlord
If you merge k-mod (including its brilliant GW system) with this mod, i guess the result will be just unbelievable.

Plz:D

Umm...its been tried, it resulted in a long absence on the part of Leoreth, frustration by all and serious AI issues. As a result, only parts will be added, though you should ask Leoreth about that.

Well, AFAIK, Leoreth tried(and I think failed) already to merge in K-Mod.

EDIT: Dang Sheafer, you Ninja'd me

DoC + K-Mod = wasted evenings and train rides + headaches.

There is a playable merge of both mods still in my mod folder, but I'm really using the most forgiving definition of "playable" here, i.e. the game doesn't crash. The list of issues that I've detected on first glance, only from autoplay, without even playing it:

- there is a C++ exception when cities flip which crashes the whole RiseAndFall module, leading to incomplete or skipped flips for spawning civs and respawns (especially respawns)
- settling behavior, especially for colonies, is worse
- civs are too willing to vassalize
- the AI doesn't improve jungle tiles, often even keeps forested tiles with bonuses on them
- sometimes AI civs only found their capital and never leave it
- no noticeable turn time increase

For none of these problems could karadoc or I find a solution, and even then the result would probably be underwhelming. My conclusion is that what's optimal for normal BtS games (i.e. K-Mod's AI improvements) isn't necessarily good for RFC.

What worked well is the interface upgrades from BUG mod, so I will just merge that mod later on.

Surely there are also aspects of K-Mod that worked well and would be nice to have, such as the global warming mechanic, but extracting single features from such a large mod isn't exactly easy.

Oh, that's terrible!

You can always steal some changes by Karadoc and implement them in DoC, expecially the awesome GW system (or alternatively you can merge the GW Mod by MinorAnnoyance, which also is good).

GW in vanilla game sucks, its not realistic at all and it's only tedious

As I said, it's not as if one feature is concentrated in one file of the game code. Usually it's scattered all over the place.

As I said, it's not as if one feature is concentrated in one file of the game code. Usually it's scattered all over the place.

Damn, i see.

Then i strongly recommend merging GW mod by minor annoyance which at least fixes the awful vanilla GW mechanics.

I intend to do something about that but honestly, global warming isn't even relevant in most games so this has a rather low priority for me.

I intend to do something about that but honestly, global warming isn't even relevant in most games so this has a rather low priority for me.

I know its impact is relatively small, but the end-game gets a "doomsday" feeling with it, and if it's well done (like the k-mod or minor annoyance ones) the feelings is much greater, and really enriches the game more than we are used to think.

DoC + K-Mod = wasted evenings and train rides + headaches.

For none of these problems could karadoc or I find a solution
If you're actually spending money on train tickets (or any other things of this sort) in order to improve DoC, feel free to setup a paypal account. We the players will reimburse you. It's only fair.

If you're actually spending money on train tickets (or any other things of this sort) in order to improve DoC, feel free to setup a paypal account. We the players will reimburse you. It's only fair.
I just like to visit friends or family over the weekends, and use my time on the train for modding.

That's really nice from both of you, but I travel for unrelated private reasons and just use the time to get some modding done. Especially those mind-numbing WinMerge sessions are exactly the right thing to do while riding the train.

I think the quote I seconded does not only apply specifically to the Train scenario :p

I thought about something like this too, thinking about the numerous hours you and Rhye have put into this, you really deserve a least something for it. Even if it wouldn't be a fortune we could gather together, it could be a small token of our gratitude. The money gathered in could then be split among you and Rhye. (I really have no idea about the degree of "credit" - or amount of work hours - is to be attributed to the two of you, but 50/50 would probably be the most non-controversial way)

I think it's safe to say that Rhye's work weighs more than mine, and then you also have to add in the contributions of people like edead and countless others.

I thought about something like this too, thinking about the numerous hours you and Rhye have put into this, you really deserve a least something for it. Even if it wouldn't be a fortune we could gather together, it could be a small token of our gratitude. The money gathered in could then be split among you and Rhye. (I really have no idea about the degree of "credit" - or amount of work hours - is to be attributed to the two of you, but 50/50 would probably be the most non-controversial way)

I think it should be splitted from the beginning; so one goes for RFC and the other one goes to DoC. I doubt Leoreth and Rhye knows each other in the real world which will make it hard to split the money. I'm not sure if we can split the money online :)

If doing something like this would just result in bickering and an endless discussion of who deserves which share of the money, it's obviously not worth doing. About splitting it between RFC and DoC, I just thought that it would make sense to see them as one, as DoC is the continuation of RFC, and is the active mod - and community - as of now.

True, but I'm just trying to discuss the technical difficulties :)

DoC is built on RFC, but I think the current DoC is already pretty differ from the original RFC. Too many UHV, CNM, UP, etc have been revised, too many things re-balanced.

I think DoC is already distinctive enough to be differentiated with RFC, just like SoI. Therefore, with all respects, I think that whatever donated to DoC should goes to DoC's creator only and whatever donated to RFC should goes to RFC's creator only.

From that point, if DoC's creator want to share the donation to RFC's creator.. it's a different story :)

Top Bottom