KaijuNES: Armageddon Deferred

I'm still not sure what a Japanese terror group is going to be doing in Valland, as their plan doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but I do approve of the Kaiju design resembling a bipedal beast, which resembles a cat insofar as Kaiser Schield resembles a turtle. It might not be exactly like a cat, but I can accept something strongly reminiscent of one. :)

Well, the now retconned reason is that half of them wants to bring that Kaiju to America to get revenge for the Atomic bombings, while the other half wants to take it to Europe, which brought the technology which destroyed the old way of life in Nippon in their eyes. Due to lack of supply due to wasting time from having no proper destination from the above conflict, the Terrorists had to dock into Valland so that they wouldn't run out of food for themselves, and it.

OOC: I'm just raiding a suspicious Chinese freighter. I don't know or much care if its connected with the recent raids.

It's also obvious who ordered the attack. If it wasn't the EU, and it wasn't me, it had to be China. And it was obvious too for other reasons. A bunch of non-credentialed Chinese dudes left the embassy via the 'secret' passage prior to the attack and returned shortly after the attack toting bags of 'stuff'. They're probably still stuck in there. (How the hell do you even have a secret passage? There's drains, underground cables, and, I dunno, planning laws to contend with. Those problems aside, it'd have to be an open secret and probably has been since the Cold War when that kind of stuff was built because random Chinese diplomats popping out of the ground or that one Chinese-owned store is rather, well, suspicious).

OOC: The idea of my fleet intercepting a wayward freighter was borne to simulate some fun into an otherwise boring trip to join the North Fleet. I never once mentioned it was Chinese in origin nor did I mention that it appeared military. Had I thought it was carrying military supplies I would have ordered an immediate search and capture of the ship for violating Valland Waters and International Law governing such transport of weapons. That said, I wouldn't have batted an eye that it was of Chinese registration, since half of our merchant trade include Chinese ships. I was simply helping a ship that appeared to be lost due to compass malfunction to Copping for repairs.

Just thought I would throw in my explanation since I no doubt caused all this somehow.

IC:

Admiral Logan thanks Prime Minister Thomas for at least taking the initiative and getting the military commands to work closer together. Logan will follow this Command order.

OOC: I decided that it's excuse was so obviously ridiculous ("compass malfunction?" don't they have phones? or GPS? actually what the hell is a compass this is the 2040s) and decided it should be investigated. If it turns out to be toting fireworks... redfaces all around. Until I blow it up...

OOC: @Cicero: there's virtually no way to avoid government surveillance if they really want to spy on you. Embassy isn't the Pentagon. It's gonna be small, and modern day heat sensors can see quite deep into buildings. This is with 2000 technology. There's been 30-40 years of development since then.

Simply putting thing s deep into a building isn't gonna hide it from thermal surveillance.

OOC: @Cicero: there's virtually no way to avoid government surveillance if they really want to spy on you. Embassy isn't the Pentagon. It's gonna be small, and modern day heat sensors can see quite deep into buildings. This is with 2000 technology. There's been 30-40 years of development since then.

Simply putting thing s deep into a building isn't gonna hide it from thermal surveillance.

OOC: Even if thermal imaging were to become more advanced, there would surely be countermeasures developed for it too. And given that China is a major world player, you can bet that it would want its embassies to be resistant to thermal imaging.

Edit: And I'm also just opposed in principle to you placing your man inside the embassy just by story. I mean you could make a plan for infiltration, but to say that this guy just got in (after actually thinking about it I'll admit that the secret passage is kinda dumb) just because he has a disguise is a bit powergamish. To get into the BioTech labs I made a plan then let Iggy sort it out; I think you should have done the same.

OOC: I decided that it's excuse was so obviously ridiculous ("compass malfunction?" don't they have phones? or GPS? actually what the hell is a compass this is the 2040s) and decided it should be investigated. If it turns out to be toting fireworks... redfaces all around. Until I blow it up...

Right... I forgot that we have gone beyond that. I should have said computer malfunctions, that would have effected all electronic systems on the ship.

That's implying China previously thought Valland to be so important that they basically tore down their old embassy and turned their embassy into a giant vault, at which point we wouldn't even have an old escape tunnel (which would, as Masada said, be a public knowledge right now) and I wouldn't even be attempting to infiltrate.

Embassies, I generally assume, are old buildings that I generally believe to be rather easy to infiltrate.

As to how I know that the Chinese are behind it: random group of Chinese people were spotted in civilian outfit near the biolab during a kaiju attack. I don't think Valland under kaiju threat makes for a good tourist destination (especially not around biolabs) and since a group of armed assailants wih good training raided not only one but two laboratories viewed by EU as an asset... Well, I think anyone can connect the dots quickly.

If you attacked without eelying on disguises and blew up everything, I would have accepted that there was no lead to trace you back. As it happens, you left two people dead and plenty of people injured but alive.

I could have written a dozen stories of me interrogating random people and connecting the dots, but I decided that this would be the faster, more interesting, method. If this offends you, I apologize and I will remove that story.

FYI, Ambrose's mission is not to steal data. It is to verify whether or not a Chinese spec operations unit exists. I don't have any illusion that I can recover the data,but if I know that the Chinese are involved greatly, than I can prepare IC for the next encounter.

Alright guys, this is getting annoying.

When I started this NES, I wanted to make it about the Kaiju invasion of Valland, and the Vallander defense against it. I didn't specify details about the outside world, and only offered a few details when people asked. Then, some players started joining as foreign organizations. This started off okay, because it seemed reasonable to me that there would be international involvement here. However, the way this has been turning out, it's becoming more and more focused on intrigue between foreign superpowers, with the Kaiju featuring as a mere thematic backdrop. We've seen a gradual slip from people playing as the European, American and Chinese forces intervening in Valland, to people playing as the governments of the European Union, United States of America and People's Republic of China. This is getting difficult for me to deal with.

I am not interested in running a near-future international politics NES. I have neither the knowledge nor the time to do that to any degree of acceptable quality. Without a proper framework for these nations, which I'm not going to hash out, a story NES trying to incorporate them is just going to degenerate into the powergaming and conflicts that we're seeing right here. It's turning into:

Country X does something in Valland.

Country Y notes that it has countermeasures to Country X's actions.

Country X declares that it has pre-empted Country Y's countermeasures by doing something else!

I'm simply not interested in this! It's an annoying mess that I come home to every evening and have to sort through.

Now, with that off my chest, let's try to resolve this particular issue.

Overall, I think that Seon's overstepping his bounds. I'll start off by saying that it is pretty reasonable to suspect Chinese involvement in the attacks. However, I think that Seon's still being unrealistically perfect and efficient in his sleuthing. The Chinese agents who infiltrated BioTech Industries were masked, they wouldn't have been identifiable as any ethnicity based on their appearance alone.

However, there are no Chinese military vessels idling around Valland right now. The nearest ones are the support vessels for the Chinese drone carrier that launched from Dakar recently.

Speaking of which, cicero, it has been my understanding from this:

Meanwhile, the PLA Navy Drone Carrier Shenlong and its Carrier Group will be steaming towards Valland, launching from our leased port in Dakar, Senegal. 20 Assault Drones will be launched towards the location of the attack, accompanied by 5 "Research Drones," which have been specially outfitted for taking samples from Kaiju while they are still alive by launching small needles with receptors attached. The Drone squadron will engage the Kaiju in conjunction with the other allied forces.

That you sent a carrier from Dakar, Senegal, in a course towards the North Atlantic. That's the most reasonable interpretation of your orders, and it's clearly the interpretation made both by myself, and by several other players. Saying that it had actually stayed in Dakar is inconsistent with your previous actions... unless the italicized first paragraph of 'Hook, Line and Sinker' is meant to be Xinhua presenting a somewhat coloured view of international events. ;)

Anyway, back to Seon. Figuring out where a hidden 'back door' from the Chinese embassy in a foreign country isn't a huge stretch. As Masada noted, there's a chance that it's a bit of an open secret among international intelligence offices. However, this discovery would be more acceptable if it weren't accompanied with several other convenient things that make your counter-infiltration so straightforward.

I do recognize that surveillance technology is very advanced, but I think you're pushing past the limits of a mobile drone's capabilities to pick up information about the interior with such acuity. The Chinese embassy is a solidly-built structure. Its walls will preclude anything beyond superficial thermal imaging, and it's not likely to be a building covered in windows either.

Overall, you're basically trotting in to what is a very secure compound, and not giving due credit to your opponent in this matter. The Chinese aren't likely to be keeping a massively incompetent staff who won't notice that several of their cameras are abruptly not working, or that someone unauthorized has entered their 'back door' tunnel. In this matter, cicero's response to your story is quite reasonable- they'd detect a lone intruder quite quickly.

Speaking of which, cicero's lampshading of the efficacy of EU Intelligence services made me chuckle. ;)

@SmithRobloxian- Your terrorist group seems to be about a century behind the times, if they're just trying to get their revenge now. ;) What's taken them so long? How would they keep the Kaiju pacified, and what would they tell the port authority when they docked? The national embarassment caused by the overlooking of the importation of chemical weapon delivery systems by the Super-Serious Exterminators has prompted a tightening of import inspections- keeping such a beast hidden would be difficult indeed, even if we disregard all of the other pboelsm.

@Masada- The freighter wasn't Chinese, and germanicus12 has clarified that it wasn't meant to be Chinese. It looks like you guys have both resolved that issue though, so all's well. :)

@germanicus12- A electronics failure or simple navigational error makes a lot more sense than a compass failure on a modern vessel, so it seems like a reasonable change to just substitute out a more likely cause for a wayward ship.

@Seon- Regarding your most recent post, I'll just reiterate. The Chinese raid happened at night, they changed their clothing before attacking the BTI Facility in Goldfoss. There were witnesses, but they wouldn't be able to point to a specific country, or even provide a useful description of the intruders. Also, the Chinese only physically raided a single site. The cyberattack on Hansey Labs used quite different methods, and is likely even harder to trace.

@Iggy: I'm trying to keep politics out as much as possible; the Guaishou Squad isn't really concerned with all of that (I think they'll be much more at home in a giant dragon robot). From now on though I'll renounce any ability to speak for the PRC government, and I'm sorry if I've contaminated this NES with politics already.

Edit: And the Carrier was only meant to be launched during the next Kaiju attack, along with the rest of the operation. But what's done is done, and it's not a very big deal anyways.

To Government of Valland:

We accept, and we will respect the laws. We also would like you to assemble an inspection at ports and airports in Valland, seeking to stop anyone in possession of biological materials. With a strong oversight by the government, it will be hard to escape with the stolen biological material from our laboratory. How do you make it a point to remember, a portion of our funding comes from the government, and if the material were recovered we could start the research easier. Moreover, it is the duty of the State to try and capture these terrorists. Remember that civilians were murdered, and that the stolen material can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.

Was China behind the Cyberattacks against Hansey Labs? Was my massive security run succesful at sniffing out the attackers?

@Iggy: I'm trying to keep politics out as much as possible; the Guaishou Squad isn't really concerned with all of that (I think they'll be much more at home in a giant dragon robot). From now on though I'll renounce any ability to speak for the PRC government, and I'm sorry if I've contaminated this NES with politics already.

Edit: And the Carrier was only meant to be launched during the next Kaiju attack, along with the rest of the operation. But what's done is done, and it's not a very big deal anyways.
Mm, I had assumed it was to combat Morra.

To Government of Valland:

We accept, and we will respect the laws. We also would like you to assemble an inspection at ports and airports in Valland, seeking to stop anyone in possession of biological materials. With a strong oversight by the government, it will be hard to escape with the stolen biological material from our laboratory. How do you make it a point to remember, a portion of our funding comes from the government, and if the material were recovered we could start the research easier. Moreover, it is the duty of the State to try and capture these terrorists. Remember that civilians were murdered, and that the stolen material can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.
We are currently engaged in an investigation to ascertain which forces may be behind for this murderous attack, and our customs agents are on high alert. Rest assured there will be severe consequences for those responsible.

Was China behind the Cyberattacks against Hansey Labs? Was my massive security run succesful at sniffing out the attackers?
OOC, yes they were. IC, it remains unclear who launched the attacks, and your internal investigation has failed to turn up any convincing leads.

Very well. I will watch out for it in the future, Iggy. I will retcon the story to EU agents putting the Chinese embassy under 24 hour surveillance.

I will admit that I am not paying as much attention to this bread as I was in the beginning. My more neurotic behavior can be attributed to that.

Operation Night on the Town

-New Town, Arnarnes, One week before Operation Thief in the Night

Agent Guang had been given leave to tour Arnarnes, under the pretense of "gathering intelligence on local customs and culture." Given that Guang was just a young man of 20 however, his plans would stretch the excuse of "gathering intelligence" to the breaking point. Having been raised to join the PLA Special Forces since a young age, when he had been singled out for his abilities in the martial arts, Guang did not have a normal childhood, nor a normal adolescence. He had been trained in social niceties, sure, but only to strengthen his ability to infiltrate and become inconspicuous in a crowd. Now, on his first mission, he had a chance to go see how the outside world worked in reality.

Guang left the embassy at 2100 hours in casual attire, carrying all of his documents which imparted upon him a false identity as Mao Zhongzheng. Having checked online beforehand, Guang made a beeline for the New Town, a district known for its nightlife, or at least what passed for nightlife in Valland. Entering the district, Guang immediately picked up that something was off. Everyone seemed to be more impulsive than anyone he had ever seen, desperately seeking a good time. Guang wondered if it had anything to do with the Kaiju attack; he had not spoken with anyone in the public since the attack started, but he realized that having giant beasts decimate cities in your country must make it seem like the end of the world. And indeed, the world might be ending, depending on how many more Kaiju existed.

Guang also noted the beauty of the Vallandic women; with their long legs, blonde hair, and blue eyes they were very exotic compared to the women of his village in Hunan. Guang caught himself staring at one in particular, who looked back at him with smile and giggled when their eyes met. Guang blushed, not used to this sort of attention. There weren't many women on the base where he trained, and those that were were typically at least middle-aged. One of the girl's friends called her over into one of the bars, but as the girl walked away she stole one more look back at Guang.

Well, the other guys on the team have always called me a pretty-boy Guang thought, allowing himself to set aside his modesty for a minute. Guang went into another bar, but since he didn't have any company he left after a drink and decided to hop around a few more.

Upon entering the fifth bar Guang was beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol. As he took his seat at the bar, he felt a tap on his shoulder and heard a voice say "Hey, didn't I see you earlier tonight?" Guang looked and saw the girl from earlier.

This must be fate!

"Yeah, I think I did! I'm Gua...Mao!"

"Nice to meet you! I'm Stella! You don't seem like you're from around here..."

"Yeah, I'm from China, I'm a student studying to be a diplomat. I'm here at the embassy!"

"Wow, that's so interesting! I haven't talked to many Chinese people before. Especially one as cute as you-"

"Heh, you're too kind. And you're Vallandic I assume? You're the most beautiful woman I've seen here!"

"Pretty forward for a foreigner, huh? Well let's talk over a few more drinks, then I'll see if we can go back to my place..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1100 hours, six days before Operation Theif in the Night

Guang walked through the street, marching along towards the embassy in a bedraggled triumph.

That was the best night of my life - I would do anything for that woman! Stella, for you I'd-I'd do anything. I'd set anything aside to defend you, anything, even-even-

Guang's dangerous train of thought was interrupted when he came to the door of the embassy, suddenly being reminded of his immediate responsibilities.

Upon entering the lounge in the embassy where his squad was sitting around the television, Guang was met by grins and stifled laughter. He looked in a mirror on the wall and realized the condition of his hair.

"Man, Guang, we were starting to worry about you, but it looks like you came through last night the luckiest of all of us!"

"Aww, get off his back. You're just letting off some stress to get ready for the mission, eh, Guang?"

Guo did not look as pleased as his squadmates. "I trust you didn't do anything to compromise our mission Agent Guang. You know the consequences if you did-"

"Don't worry chief, I made sure that I was in control of myself the entire time."

"How was she, Guang?"

"She was-she was the most wonderful woman I've ever met. I think I'm in-in love..."

This was met with more laughter. Guang blushed, embarrassed about the feelings he had just disclosed.

"I mean not really, she wasn't that great I gues-"

Duo laughed even harder than before.

"Can it man, we're just giving you a hard time! We're more than a squad, we're brothers. We know each other better than anyone else, and I'd give my life to save any of you! And we're all happy for you. I hope you got her number - I'd be surprised if we didn't come back to Valland soon!"

"I did, and I got her name too. She told me to add her on HoloChat-"

"Have fun with that man! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

When I started this NES, I wanted to make it about the Kaiju invasion of Valland, and the Vallander defense against it..

Yes please. Let's get on with punchy-punchy-smashy-smashy. I want me a Jaeger.

ELBOW ROOOOOOOCKEEEEEEEEET

A new story with Seon's retraction taken into account:

Operation Butterfingers

-Chinese Embassy, Arnarnes-

"...The Chinese government has responded to Vallandic warnings today by saying that its carrier group stationed at Dakar was merely present to protect Chinese commercial interests in Africa..."

External cameras had detected a drone of EU make circling the embassy. Guo knew that the Chinese might come under suspicion from the other powers, as some of the activity around the embassy could not be hidden, and the secret passage was common knowledge among intelligence agencies. Still, the EU was moving boldly, so the Guaishou Squad would have to be cautious in attempting to return the samples to China. Guo had already ordered the embassy to put its guards on double shifts, bolstering security in case anyone tried to do anything stupid. He had also ordered the embassy to send all the data they could to Lhasa through secure channels. With China's mastery of cyberwarfare, there was no way those would be intercepted.

As important as it was to stop anyone from getting into the embassy and get the data to China, it was even more crucial to get the samples back to the DRAKE program in Lhasa. The CCP and the PLA had given Guo extraordinary powers to carry out his mission, meaning that even the ambassador was under his command.

Guo's thought process was interrupted by Guang, "Commander, do you think I could borrow the embassy limousine for...something?"

"Don't worry Guang, we all know about Stell-wait, Guang, you're a genius! Of course, that's how we can get out!"

It was all clear now. The embassy had both an armored truck and a limousine in its loading dock. Guo knew that using the armored truck would draw too much suspicion, so he had already disregarded that option. Now, though, he realized that he could transport the samples in the limo with the Guaishou Squad.

With his plan concocted, he went to the Squad in the living room.

"Here's our operational plan. The moment the next Kaiju attacks, ourselves and the ambassador's family will evacuate the embassy. However, we will take the limo with the ambassador and his family will go with some security guards in the armored truck. The samples will be in our suitcases, putting the biopsies in special refrigerated suitcases, and we will go straight to our chartered jet in the airport. The ambassador's family will also move, and should the armored truck be stopped they will find nothing in it but an innocent family and some security guards. Should our limo be stopped, the ambassador will deal with the authorities for us. Should anyone try to attack us - well, we know how to defend ourselves. Any questions?"

"C-Commander, can I still use the limo tonight?"

Commander Guo sighed "Yes, just don't crash it."

Mm, I had assumed it was to combat Morra.

OOC: Oh yeah, it was. We were going to try to help combat the Kaiju while infiltrating BioTech and cyberattacking Hansey.

@SmithRobloxian, Your terrorist group seems to be about a century behind the times, if they're just trying to get their revenge now. ;) What's taken them so long? How would they keep the Kaiju pacified, and what would they tell the port authority when they docked? The national embarassment caused by the overlooking of the importation of chemical weapon delivery systems by the Super-Serious Exterminators has prompted a tightening of import inspections- keeping such a beast hidden would be difficult indeed, even if we disregard all of the other pboelsm.

They are Neo-Imperials, remember? Besides that, they are taking so long due to sailing to and from the New and Old world from the split opinion about who to attack first, fish works wonders somehow, and that is a key point that plays a part in the Kaiju's delivery.

Apart from that, I find it funny how I had to tweak my Kaiju far from my original design to make people happy about me having one, and while that was going on, there has been a ton of international gambits being played to and from the world powers, which was not related to anything which was the point of the thread, which was Kaijus attacking Valland. It was a elephant in the room, and you brought it up. I'll clap my hands now.

I follow that they want to revert Japan back to some pre-1945 style of governance. I just don't understand how and why they're trying to do it by the methods you describe. My confusion can be classified into three questions.

Why Valland? Your stated opposition is to Europe for westernizing Japan, and America for defeating Japan in World War 2. Valland is not on a direct sailing route from Japan to either of these places. It's like trying to compromise between traveling southeast and southwest, then traveling north instead. It simply doesn't follow.

How did you capture the Kaiju? If your group is not even decisive enough to pick a destination and stick with it, and lacked the foresight to pack enough supplies to reach one of their destinations, how were they able to discover, capture and transport this creature without attracting the world's attention?

What do you even plan to do with the Kaiju? Apparently you're able to keep it pacified simply by feeding it fish. A creature that can be rendered calm in such a manner doesn't sound particularly threatening. Indeed, if it can be reliably transported inside the claustrophobic hold of a ship, and not try to fight its way out and destroy the vessel carrying it, simply by being fed, then it's significantly less aggressive than your average wild animal. Either you're showing your Kaiju to be not very dangerous at all, or you're showing it to be so weak that it can't escape a handful of lost-causer humans who have locked it in an old boat.

@Lord Iggy I presume that my message has been read. Remember, not all of its content is meant to be secret, only what you deem necessary.
I really think the invasion in my lab was very interesting, especially because it was a surprise.

Top Bottom