King of the World #11: Darius I

Ceasefire can be broken before the 10 turns. Heck, you can break them the turn after you signed it.

Fixed it for you. :p

Seriously, even my 6 year old bro doesn't play like that! He has healthy stacks of 30% Seige. 10% (!) Medics for small raider stacks. 20 % Stack defence and only 40% true city attack. My stacks are 40% Seige 50% Attack and a measly 10% Stack/Medics

First post here ;) although ive been reading for a long time, especially KOTW threads, great stories =)

Well...i think the situation is pretty serious, not very...BAD...youve got lots of power, land, production, but you're nowhere near beating china, and you've lost most of your army there, while taking 2 cities completelly useless at the moment...
I dont think you can reenforce them, even with a peace treaty, i highly doubt if he's going to sign open borders with you, probably not...another serious threath is rome, not even a direct threath, but if he takes a couple of chinese cities, china will capitulate, making those chinese cities useless until you're ready to take both rome and china at the same time...which i can see happening shortly..

I think the best solution is to whip those entire captured cities away, into OFFENSIVE units, trebs, maces and knights for example. Idea: while flooded with chinese culture, the cities will immediatelly starve to pop size 1 as soon as the revolt is over, so you might as well whip them...Defensive units are not very likelly able to hold out with 0% cultural defense, against the chinese army. And even if they hold out: who cares, 2 useless cities...If the garrison helps to attack ganzhou however, recapturing them afterwards is a peace of cake...
Long term: rome is out of the question now, you might be able to handle rome alone atm, but as soon as another civ attacks, you're in trouble, secure china up to bejing, and he will most likelly capitulate, after that, its either straight to rome, or carthage first while teching a bit more.
Im wondering how pascal and sitting bull are doing btw :D always fun to see how an AI handles those situations, my guess is: huge land...completelly powerless because of tech...

btw, im an emperor player...so always value you're own intuition higher ;)

Welcome to CFC loenatiek! :goodjob:

I agree with a lot of your suggestions. However, whipping is kind of limited, isn't it? I mean, each has a lot of population, but each Treb will cost 3 pop and each Knight probably 3 as well......

All right, everyone. I say it's time for a rollicking monster round. What do you all say?

Xerxes knew that powerful siege would be key to breaking the stubborn Chinese people. But a gun large enough to be effective against city walls would need to be forged from a metal harder than any yet known. Boudica refused to reveal the secrets of her reclusive island people, but Asoka was willing to talk... for a price:

The Persian people launched immediately into an attempt to discover military applications of Indian Chemistry.

Xerxes' diplomats, meanwhile, bargained with their inscrutable Chinese counterparts over the terms of a cease fire. Ultimately, a small reparations payment, along with the Pacific island city of Ningbo, was deemed appropriate to both sides:

Though it must be said that Qin Shi Huang was... none too pleased with the arrangement, he nevertheless withdrew his forces and turned his attentions to Rome. Various Siberian cities changed hands as the two superpowers fought back and forth.

Across the Persian empire, commoners built Trebuchets (which would end up being used as chassis for future Cannons) while young nobles were trained in horsemanship and armored as Knights. All of this materiel was sent towards Chengdu, except for those distant Russian cities, which instead served to build up Odessa against inevitable Roman treachery.

For the moment, though, Rome was the ally, as were its subsidiary states. Despite their unwillingness to expound upon the secrets of natural science, the Celts were all too willing to share their love of zealotry:

With these secrets in hand, and still in the midst of the Golden Age of Leif Erickson and Mo Tzu, Xerxes initiated sweeping changes to his government:

Let the people think themselves free, but let them only worship as the state permits. And, frankly, the entire world had largely turned on Persia, so closing borders to trade was not quite a sacrifice.

OVerwhelming Chinese forces coursed past Chengdu to crash against the last of India's homeland:

The lonely Longbowman standing guard in Agra would not fare much better.

As this madness went on in the east, Xerxes, impatient at his enforced period of calm, sent his warrior elite to pacify the east African coast, followed by Settlers to fully tame it:

Ulundi was also founded farther south.

In 1230, with the second Persian Golden Age having drawn to a close, enough pieces were in place to reopen hostilities with the dreaded Chinese:

Of course, with our re-entry into the war, we could no longer accept Julius' aid. having China bow to Rome would be a nightmare:

So, we stood alone. A small force of Knights and Cannons squatted outside of Bangalore, mostly to keep the Chinese forces tied up in the Himalayas. Meanwhile, the fresh troops from Chengdu, along with the hardened veterans from Shanghai and Nanjing, converged on Guangzhou.

With the help of powerful Cannons, the city collapsed like a house of cards:

The soldiers, flush with success, regrouped, and set their sights on Beijing!

Caesar, meanwhile, grew restless. Persian envoys were summarily sent back, told that Rome "had enough on our hands right now." And Xerxes doubted that Caesar wanted to pick at the scraps on Qin Shi Huang's rotted carcass.

It was a dirty trick, but but there was only one way to delay the inevitable:

The die had been cast. Xerxes had ten turns to claim as much Chinese territory as possible before hostilities opened into a two-front war.

As the Persian forces in China scrambled, exchanging Maces for Rifles and playing cat-and-mouse with a final, last-ditch Chinese army, cartographers aboard a Caravel made contact with the New World:

Sadly, Asoka had already proven the world's spherical nature, but a peek into the doings of the New World was much appreciated nevertheless. Indeed, placing the Maya in the South American rain forest was tantamount to murder. Sitting Bull sat astride North America like a Colossus, but Pacal barely eked out a living in the jungles, subject to constant Barbarian raids.

Boudica, our future enemy, helped us in our quest for Nationalism:

Replacement Parts was a dangerous prize to give away, but our Knights are dangerously outdated. We need Military Tradition.

Thebes, meanwhile, continued to be difficult as a Great Person Farm:

The chances of a Great Artist were miniscule! Ah, well. He was sacked away in anticipation of another Golden Age.

Back on the front, Beijing fell easily:

And the war with China had become a full-on rout.

The time had also come to claim the Chinese strongholds in the Indian mountains:

China performed the classic AI mistake of sending half the garrison off to become an offensive stack. Well, I guess it's not too much of a mistake. They wouldn't have really done much good behind the Walls, other than maybe by delaying things for a turn or two.

By P'yongyang, our main army was state-of-the-art, with multiple City Raider 3 Riflemen forming the core of a unit bristling with Cannon:

The city held no Wonders, but was, nevertheless, a powerfully productive city site.

Sadly for Qin, he repeated Asoka's mistake, staffing Agra with a lone single-unit garrison. Fortunately for us, our army rolled over it just as easily as China's had.

Have I mentioned that I hate taking the Agra site? Thank the Gods that there was only one Cho-Ko-Nu in there.

Finally, in 1320, the time for talk is over. It's time to decide this game once and for all!

I knew this time would come. I probably could have put it off for a while longer with another cheaty demand, but what I'd already done was exploit enough.

State of the World to follow.

All right. Now we're at a state of war with Rome and, less importantly, China. So I think the first order of business is the Power Graph:

As you can see, Caesar is still ahead of us (though not unassailably so), and Qin has, well, seen better days.

Here's a closer look at our army versus what we know about Caesar's:

Given our Espionage advantage, I have my doubts that Rome has a major stack hiding from us, though it is possible. We're roughly equal in Cavalry, he has a huge advantage in foot soldiers, but I vastly outweigh his siege.

The Diplomacy screen:

Yeah, it's lonely at the top. Especially when you've spent the whole game antagonizing your lessers. We really have no allies left.

The Tech screen:

We have Rifling and Steel on Caesar, which would be a bigger advantage had he not had Military Science on us. Our Riflemen might have some trouble charging into the mouths of his Grenadiers. That said, Cavalry over Cuirassiers will probably be a big factor if I can get enough upgraded in time. As will, obviously, Cannons over Trebuchets.

The Old World:

Most of my Western forces are holed up in the strongpoints of Odessa and Athens, with reasonable garrisons elsewhere along the Siberian border. Most of my best troops are, obviously, tooling around China. Maybe we should leave the cities north of Korea to Qin and push westward, through Mongolia and into Rome's Arctic rim. The war with Carthage, as it is, will mostly be a meaningless one. I don't have a lot of troops committed down there, and Hannibal doesn't really have much of an army.

The New World:

Pacal seems to be getting his footing, but it's too little, too late. As you can probably see, he moved his capital at one point. Somehow I doubt the shift was voluntary. Sitting Bull is something of a factor, but given what I know about him (and the AI in general), I don't think we need to worry about an invasion fleet anytime soon.

Here's the save:

:wow:

Have you got any plans on how to hold him back? Or just the casual whipping?

Love the writing btw!!!!

Fantastic edge of your seat ending.

Can you get Qin to capitulate?

Love the offense in China and the securing of Africas Southern extremities.

What has JC got on it's way to you?

I knew Rome was going to DOW in the moment you paid him to stop the war. Remember that part of Rome being Pleased with QSH in stipe of the war? That you would be his worst enemy as soon as his war with QSH stopped?... No one listens to me :p

NEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Thanks for the round, first, before I start yelling. Whoops, too late. ;)

1) C'mon, man! Boudica would have given you a cheaper price for Chemistry!
2) Astronomy, pleasseeeeeee! Wipe out Wang Kon and force Qin to capitulate!
3) Press your advantage on the Chinese front. Make Qin bow down and kiss your feet. Odessa will probably hold.

I knew Rome was going to DOW in the moment you paid him to stop the war. Remember that part of Rome being Pleased with QSH in stipe of the war? That you would be his worst enemy as soon as his war with QSH stopped?... No one listens to me :p

I listened and agreed but don't you think this is more fun anyway?

Okay, the State of the World's up.

re: The ending- I just love the weary-but-determined look on Caesar's face. From his perspective, I most definitely am a horrible villain that needs to be wiped out. And I don't aim to make it easy for him.

re: Vassalizing Qin- Nah, I can't. Wang Kon's vassal status is likely the sticking point, here. Worse comes to worst, I can just get another city from him in exchange for peace and focus on Rome. I think we're good dedicating at least a few troops to China, though. At least for a while. Believe me, once I can make him kiss the ring, I will.

re: Rome- Oh, I listened. This war is no surprise. I knew that the showdown was coming, hence my beefing up the garrisons in Odessa and Sparta.

re: Chemistry from Boudica- I don't know how you're thinking I could have gotten a better price from Celtia there, Gooblah. I checked again, and Boudica refused to trade Chemistry to me. If you look at the last round, it's even in the "Won't trade" column.

@Neal: Weird, when I cracked open the previous save....whatever.

Spend your gold reserves upgrading your Eastern Knights to Cavalry. Promote any Riflemen in the area into City Garrison to help resist Grenadiers.

The thing that surprised me when opening the save is that it looks that you simply acted as you weren't going to war with Rome. There are 3 cities that can be easily overrun in this IBT if you don't do anything ( including one 5 tiles of the capital... shame on you ). I don't see how you can save moscow without a massive dose of luck and even if you survive to the first wave , there is a sizable mini-stack to kill the wounded.

Other thing that bugs me is the tech path. Let me capitalize this, for you to read it right :p : YOU NEED RAILROADS .In case you haven't noticed, you have a empire from Natal to Korea :p it is the same mistake you made in the Frederick game :old: : troops in the middle of your land are not fighting your enemies in the borders

Ok, enough of ranting: China is near the breaking point. Probably taking another 10 pop city will break him into submission

What to do:
-Tech to railroads ( levees would be nice too :p )
-in more immediate concerns: upgrade, whip and pray.

Odesa is your key to victory. After you take JCs main offensive troops, hit his core hard through Neapolis and Cumae, then take Antium with your force in Athens.

That said, Cavalry over Cuirassiers will probably be a big factor if I can get enough upgraded in time. As will, obviously, Cannons over Trebuchets.

Cavs pwn grens, as well. Slider to 0 until all units are upgraded. It should only take a few turns.

The tech choices are difficult. Logistics screams for RR, economy screams for communism. What to do? OTOH, I'm not sure why Rolo is so upset about your not having RR -- after all, you just finished rifling, which is arguably a lot more important ATM than RR. But whatever you do, I don't think it will come in time to help during this war. :(

Great job with China, though. :goodjob:

Top Bottom