Korea (BC3000) UHV2 is quite difficult..

bqdx

Chieftain
I found the second UHV of Korea (discover Printing first) is very difficult (Regent), especially when China is powerful.

When Korea starts at ~100 AD, its technology is left behind China so much and there is no peaceful way (tech trading, great scientist) to achieve UHV2.

I tried to declare war with China but was unable to occupy Beijing (with 3 hwacha, 2 swordsman and 2 skirmisher). Also tried to raid ocean resource from China. And none of them works.

Any tip to prevent China from discovering Printing first?

I found the second UHV of Korea (discover Printing first) is very difficult (Regent), especially when China is powerful.

When Korea starts at ~100 AD, its technology is left behind China so much and there is no peaceful way (tech trading, great scientist) to achieve UHV2.

I tried to declare war with China but was unable to occupy Beijing (with 3 hwacha, 2 swordsman and 2 skirmisher). Also tried to raid ocean resource from China. And none of them works.

Strange, I found that the real competition for printing was from European civs. Somehow ensure that Europeans are in contact with the Chinese then it will slow down Chinese research?

Did you build Cheomseongdae observatory?

Also, what's the Version? 1.15 or latest develop?

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
City placements.
Shenyang has a Conf Temple which helps with your 1st goal.

Sariwon I built instead of Pyungyang to secure a tad more land tiles.
Seogyeong I think would be better if it was built on the coast, so it can build ships.
Another viable city location is Haerbin, near that Horse in North Manchuria.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
After some tech trading and researching I bulb a GS to get Printing.

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
Whipped the Great Temples in Seoul.
Other cities are building troops.

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
Give Shenyang to avoid war with the Mongols.
Do anything to avoid that war- build troops, agree to city flip, give in to demands.

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
Cheomseongdae secured. Its synergy with the Korean UP is amazing.

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
Shenyang is retaken after the Mongols collapse.

Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
Gunpowder unlocks both Korean UUs.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 199
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
Time for the kobuksons (turtle ships) to win this game.

Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
They are no match for cogs and galleasses.

Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG
A landing party is met by strong resistance.

Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
No matter, we still rule the seas.

Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
Historical Victory achieved.

I recommend researching Exploration asap (I guess after Firearms?). If you don't want to DOW, using Privateers is a viable option too. Just be careful against Frigates.

I try to juggle among training military units, building the religious buildings for UHV1, and building commercial and scientific infrastructure for UHV2. The last, especially, helps in the long run. I usually adopt Regulated Trade and Tributaries for the trade route boost, especially with lots of open border agreenents. Merchant Trade may also work, I guess. I also switch to Free Enterprise if I can.

EDIT: The military is for defense against the Mongols, just in case they DOW me and actually send their doom stack to me before conquering China. This doesn't happen every single time, but it helps to be prepared. :)

You dont need Exploration.
Just research Gunpowder, churn out some kobuksons, DoW on Japan and watch them throw their entire navy agains those turtles.

I try to juggle among training military units, building the religious buildings for UHV1, and building commercial and scientific infrastructure for UHV2.
IMO the best strategy is to build the Great Temples, Cheomseongdae and Sci/Eco Buildings in Seoul.
Every other city should be producing military units after the temples.

The military is for defense against the Mongols, just in case they DOW me and actually send their doom stack to me before conquering China. This doesn't happen every single time, but it helps to be prepared. :)
I think having a large military actually lowers the chance of them DoWing on spawn.

Last edited:
Just research Gunpowder, churn out some kobuksons, DoW on Japan and watch them throw their entire navy agains those turtles.
That's why I said if I don't want to DOW. Which is something I usually do only to actually conquer cities.

I think having a large military actually lowers the chance of them DoWing on spawn.
Well, I've had a few games where I still got DOW'ed even with a big military. The point here is just preparedness, really.

I suggest settling the capital 1S of the Iron and a second core city on the Rice, build an army for when Japan spawns, wait 10 turns and conquer all of their cities except for Sapporo. Build a shrine in each Core City and switch to Republic. Build Cheomseongdae and Borobudur in the capital, and from here UHV2 is a cakewalk. UHV3 doesn't have a time limit and you have an incredible economy, so victory is all but assured.

In 1.81 Korea is pretty straightforward actually, on Regent at least. Settled Seoul in place, Pyongyang (or a different name) just below the iron, forming a canal. Then the northern city on the coast right below the deer. I razed the barb city and founded a city on that little peninsula right below the wheat instead, as it is outside the Mongol spawn zone. It didn't matter, however, because the Mongols captured it anyway and that was fine. Used two GS's on the path to printing and had to help spread the religions to all my cities with some missionaries. I also built the Cheomseongdae but it didn't seem that crucial. The rest was straightforward and I don't have much to add to the comments above. Aside from Japan I also ended up declaring on Indonesia to sink some extra ships. Btw the conquest-oriented civs are really scary in DoC. Fortunately the Mongols didn't push on into my core and accepted peace after taking the aforementioned city.

In 1.81 Korea is pretty straightforward actually

Time travelers used to be a lot more subtle, nowadays they seem to be all over the place huh.

I'm talking about the development version from GitHub, the latest of which is 1.81. The major version that 1.81 belongs to is 1.16, which is still in beta. One of the changes from this version is that for the Phoenicians, founding your capital in Carthage won't give you a palace automatically. From the version history file: "fixed capital moving to Carthage even if you're not Phoenicia".

Edit: I already see what the problem is. The version history folder is sorted by number, so because 1.81 is the highest number, it appears at the bottom, whereas 1.15 is somewhere in the middle. Looking at the dates, I realized that 1.81 is indeed an old version and that it's not the version I'm playing on. The one I'm playing is the latest commit, which is already considered 1.16.

Last edited:
At this point wouldn't it be easier if we just declared 1.16 to be 2.0 and go from there?

Dawn of Civ 2000

Top Bottom