Leoreth Plays China

The only problem I see in China's gameplay is how the dynamic names appear. Basically, you need to control the whole China to the dynastic names show up, which is very ahistorical, since some dynasties, like Zhou, have control only of what is the core in the game. Another example is the Song dynasty, which the name stays even when they reborn after Mongol's conquest.

I don't think this is true. From my experience, you need to have at least four cities to get the dynastic names. That's a slight stretch for Zhou but not wildly unrealistic (and there's a good chance you will found 4 cities before reaching the Classical Era) and completely realistic for anything later. If you control fewer than 4 cities, you don't control anything close to all of China, and it's fair that you'd be considered just one of many competing states instead of a full-fledged dynasty.

The names are triggered by technology discoveries/eras. The below might have some inaccuracies but I think is roughly correct. So if China respawns post-Mongols and still isn't in the Renaissance but has discovered Gunpowder, it will be called Song, which I think is okay.

(All names require controlling 4 or more cities)
Zhou: Ancient Era
Qin: Classical Era, before 1 AD
Han: Classical Era, after 1 AD (the timing here seems a bit off to me and should maybe be pushed earlier)
Sui: Medieval Era, before 600 AD
Tang: Medieval Era, after 600 AD
Song: after discovering Gunpowder
Great Ming: Renaissance Era
Great Qing: Industrial Era (I think? This might be triggered by a year cut-off instead)

Last edited:
Not founding Chang'an as your capital is weak and cringe. Agreed on Luoyang though.
In previous versions it might have been better but for me Luoyang as capital just makes everything worse, like entering classical era at 100 CE

I don't think this is true. From my experience, you need to have at least four cities to get the dynastic names. That's a slight stretch for Zhou but not wildly unrealistic (and there's a good chance you will found 4 cities before reaching the Classical Era) and completely realistic for anything later. If you control fewer than 4 cities, you don't control anything close to all of China, and it's fair that you'd be considered just one of many competing states instead of a full-fledged dynasty.

The names are triggered by technology discoveries/eras. The below might have some inaccuracies but I think is roughly correct. So if China respawns post-Mongols and still isn't in the Renaissance but has discovered Gunpowder, it will be called Song, which I think is okay.

(All names require controlling 4 or more cities)
Zhou: Ancient Era
Qin: Classical Era, before 1 AD
Han: Classical Era, after 1 AD (the timing here seems a bit off to me and should maybe be pushed earlier)
Sui: Medieval Era, before 600 AD
Tang: Medieval Era, after 600 AD
Song: after discovering Gunpowder
Great Ming: Renaissance Era
Great Qing: Industrial Era (I think? This might be triggered by a year cut-off instead)

it would be cool if Shang as a name would appear

You have to settle Luoyang as your capital, as it has far more commerce than what Xian can offer.
Get Calendar + Alloys ASAP and get those plantations running.

I tried this again
Did not reach the goals but I still managed to make China rich, with highest score. In 1650 I have Thailand and Japan as vassals

Of course you can cheat, but the chad move is to found without giving yourself a river

Luoyang is one north west on that hill, but it shouldn't be a hill. It's important because that's a different river. That Yangzi tile is Yiling / Yichang where the Three Gorges Dam is and an important pass militarily, so that tile should be a hill instead. Also Shanghai is one south east. It would be the same tile for Suzhou as well. That northern tile is Yangzhou, an extremely wealthy city in times when the Grand Canal was working.

Going west along the north side of the Yangzi, one south of Yangzhou and one west of Shanghai / Suzhou is Nanjing / Jiankang / Wu, then Hefei, Wuhan / Hanyang, Yichang / Yiling, Chongqing / Ba, Chengdu, Changdu / Chamdo, Naqu / Nagqu.

Considering that in 1600AD scenario, Dujiang...... is built at South Eastern city where every where is river hill, I think making it a flat river tile wonder will be the exact opposite of the original purpose.

Top Bottom