1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kraken

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Civitar, May 1, 2014.

1. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Thanks for letting me know. I think you can see the same issue in the Nexus screenshots, but in Nexus that piece goes to the center of the unit. Isn't that usually an unassigned vertex?

2. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

It can't be an unassigned vertex. It is probably the same issue we are discussion with Nomad's attempted Dragon conversion here. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what causes this yet.

3. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

It reminds me of some graphic issues from right after Civ5 release in 2010. I'd start seeing a kaleidoscope of triangles flying out of units into infinity (the game would then become unplayable until restarted). In this case it's more "contained" with narrow triangles shooting out from a single point. Not sure if these two things are related or if that helps any.

Edit: the rays clearly have shadows, which makes me think that the graphic engine thinks they are "real".

4. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Wasn't Ekmek or more likely Wolfdog having similar trouble with Zombies a while ago? I remember a screenshot (waaaay before I joined these forums) of a group of Zombies all with rays shooting out of their stomachs. So how did you fix that Deliverator?

5. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

Leviathan (Civ IV .nif attached), but it was just a big ugly tadpole:

KRAKEN is better! Hopefully the reason for all the stray vectors appearing in many of these conversions can be figured out... :sad:

Attached Files:

6. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

@Pazyryk: Can you post your artdefine files so I can take a look at this? I keep getting spearman graphics when I try to replace the Trireme with the Kraken.

7. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

Code:
    INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_KRAKEN',				'Unit',	'SV_Jaguar.dds'		);

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_UnitInfos (Type,	DamageStates,	Formation) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_KRAKEN',					1,				''					);

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos (UnitInfoType,	UnitMemberInfoType,		NumMembers) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_KRAKEN',					'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_KRAKEN',				1		);

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos (Type,Scale,	Domain,		Model,							MaterialTypeTag,	MaterialTypeSoundOverrideTag) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_KRAKEN',				1,		'Sea',		'kraken.fxsxml',				'CLOTH',			'FLESH'			);

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombats (UnitMemberType, DisableActions, EnableActions,																		ShortMoveRadius,	ShortMoveRate,		TargetHeight,	HasRefaceAfterCombat,	ReformBeforeCombat	) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_KRAKEN',				'',	'Idle Attack RunCharge AttackCity Bombard Death BombardDefend Run Fortify CombatReady Walk AttackCharge',	12.0,				0.349999994039536,	8,				1,						1					);
    UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombats SET RushAttackFormation = '' WHERE RushAttackFormation IS NULL;

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombatWeapons(UnitMemberType,	"Index",	SubIndex,	"ID",	WeaponTypeTag,		WeaponTypeSoundOverrideTag,	VisKillStrengthMin,	VisKillStrengthMax,	MissTargetSlopRadius,	HitEffect	) VALUES
    ('ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_KRAKEN',									0,			0,			'',		'BLUNT',			'BLUNT',					NULL,				NULL,				NULL,					''			);

8. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

I've just cracked this issue - see this post.

9. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Yes you have - and I've fixed this kraken! Thanks Deliverator! I've also added a new skin to the download.
    Spoiler New Skin :

Because I'd never tried updating a download before, I did a new downloads page and updated the link in the OP. Sorry if I shouldn't have done that.

10. Nomad or What

:thumbsup: :goodjob: :clap: :bowdown: :worship: :yeah: :woohoo: :rockon: [party] :thanx:

11. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I guess you needed a kraken...

12. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

You can keep the same db entry by selecting Edit File. Then just upload the new files (and edit File Title or description if you want).

That way you get to keep your upload count :).

13. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Yeah... that's what I thought immediately after doing so:lol:. But I deleted the old one from the DB so as not to take up space.

14. Nomad or What

I am just happy that there will be a KRAKEN on the loose in Éa! :D

15. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Chieftain

We could still use additional sea monsters. It's no longer a huge need since we have one monster to harass ships. But if any others happen to appear I'll add them to the mod...

16. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

As Nutty said, there weren't that many sea monsters in Civ4, so I at least am limited.

17. Nutty

Nutty Chieftain

Weren't you going to put fins on your dragon?

Don't forget the ones mentioned above, though (seems like enough to me):

There's the Sea Dragon unit;

the Leviathan from FFH;

...and the humpback whale [it'd be kind of cool to make a whale-qua-barbarian-unit that could become a whale resource after it's conquered]

18. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

IIRC there are also a Sea Serpent and a Giant Turtle in FFH.

19. Nomad or What

Some more sea monsters, from Atlantica Online (most with custom animations):

Spoiler :

Sea Dancer

Sea Dragon

Sea Guard

Sea Turtle

Attached Files:

20. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I might look at some of the above sea monsters, since I can pop a castle on top to make Warhammer Black Arks. Specifically Nutty's and Nomad's Sea Dragons, the Leviathan, and the Sea "Turtle". Though Nutty, if you want the Leviathan converted I will need some animations to go with it.
    And, in general, if you want more sea monsters, could you please move them to a new thread? I was a little confused when I came into the Kraken thread and everybody is posting pictures of other monsters...