Kylorin's Students

Everything is in the title.

What do we know about them (except Perpentach , I mean)?

Which ones are dead for sure?

Here is a list of them (taken from the lore compendium of Loocas) :

Air – Greysun
Body – Kezef (whose experiments killed all the animals on the Grigi plains)
Chaos – Carnivean
Creation – Majen (elven)
Death – Barbatos
Dimensional – Os-Gabella
Earth – Jenkin
Enchantment – Velgyr
Entropy – Asmoday
Fire – Mikel Dylantyr
Force – Paimon
Ice – Badb
Law – Soqed Hozi
Life – Leucetios
Metamagic – Gastrius
Mind – Perpentach
Nature – Herve
Shadow – Wode (elven)
Spirit – Laroth (who would create his own empire
in the underworld)
Sun – Tamesis
Water – Trenton Majosi

What is the story of an empire in the underworld?

Thank you for your answers

Well, Barbatos is dead (living), and still around killing young Civilizations.

Perpentach is alive (technically), and still rules the Balseraphs.

Os-Gabella is alive (unfortunately), and helping the Sheaim to fix that.

You covered Laroth, who is alive (In the land of the Dead) IIRC.

Trenton tried to bring Danalin into the world, I think that he wound up dead after that... it's in the pedia somewhere.

And that's all I know off the top of my head. Though Gastrius lives on in all of us after a good Mexican Dinner...

Laroth was a student of Kyorlin whom his master killed. When he died, his soul was not claimed by one of the gods, so it departed to the underworld (as most souls do). The underworld is greatly controlled by the subconscious minds of its inhabitants, making it essentially be identical to whatever the dead would dream. The torments one faces are solely created by one's subconscious guilt, so innocent children enjoy an eternity of plesant dreams. Loroth was the first (as far as we know) to discover the power one can command simply by dreaming it, and the first to have enough control of his subconscious to consciously control his environment. Knowledge of spirit magic probably helps.Essentially, his soul is dreaming lucidly, and these dreams come true.

He is trying to build an army to overthrow Arawn and claim Godhood for himself. Many of Arawn's angels, who are upset with Arawn's refusal to get involved in creation and desire a more active god of death, have sided with Laroth. However, he has had trouble gathering armies to serve him, since most of the dead are too caught up in their own dreams to realize what is going on. He needs souls of strong wills, such as only the greatest heroes of Erebus have. It is for this purpose that he created the netherblade, imbued it with souls from his realm, and gave it to one of his angels to give to Rathus Denmora.

I don't think Laroth is mentioned directly in the civilopedia much, but he is very important to the backstory of the Sidar, Malakim, and Illians. After he died, Laroth somehow captured a large number of Elves and made them his slaves in the underworld (although they themselves were still alive). These were neither Light Eves nor Dark Elves, since this was before the split, but living in the sunless underworld/shadowed vale for so long made them look like Svartalfar. Varn's father lead a rebellion of the "Once Elves," and they managed to escape out of the Underworld and into the Shadowed Vale, which was separated from Creation by an impenetrable mist. They took several powerful artifacts with them, including The Heartstone and some books of magic. Not all the elves escaped, including Varn's father. VArn's older brother then became king of the Once Elves.

Years later, Auric Ulvin and the children he was traveling with stumbled into the Vale. It seems the hearstone went missing about this time, and Auric was blamed. Varn's brother demanded the children be executed. Before the sentence was carried out, Varn's wife, Talia Gossam, met with Auric. She was the first to recognize his true magical potential (because he is a reincarnated god) and may have taught him some magic. Varn believed that the children were innocent and tried to sneak them to safety. When his brother's warband were about to kill them all, Auric reached for whatever mana source he could find to fight them with. This source was the Sun, which then ripped though and destroyed the mist that separated the Vale from Creation. Most of the Elves, who had never seen sunlight before, were blinded, but Varn saw Lugus in the light, and became his chief priest.

When they escaped from the Vale, they took some things with them. This includes some of Laroth's books of magic, including such knowledge as how to consume your own soul in exchange for immortality. They were latter used to create the first Sidar.

The Sidar worship, or at lest revere, Arawn, but he does not care. (However, the archangel of Death, Gyra, has intervened to help them, at least when her twin Basium was trying to wipe them out.) Rathus Denmora was especially reverent of Arawn, and sought to go the the underworld (though the portal that the Once Elves used to escape into the Shadowed Vale) to serve him. He was not aware that this portion of the underworld was Laroth's domain, or that the angel he met was not loyal to the god of death. He has no way of knowing that he is actually serving Laroth, and helping him to gather an army to overthrow the god he sought to serve.

With the exception of Kyorlin (given eternal youth by Ceridwen), Os-Gabella (true immortal), Barbatos (now a lich), and Perpentach (whose body is long dead but who finds new hosts) I'd expect all the human sorcerers of the Age of Magic to be dead. The Elves might still be around. I'd assume that Trenton is dead to, since his race is extinct and I think he returned to them just before they were wiped out (because he refused to summon his god and start a new godswar). However, the only ones I know for a fact are dead are Laroth and Gastrius. A copy of Gastrius lives on in Perpentach. It may be that most of these sorcerers now serve Laroth in the underworld, or have been processed into demons.

I'm trying to do a search for the names in the file directory. I did find a GP merchant named Jenkin, but that is more likely a coincidence.

I couldn't find anything else, but from Yvain's pedia entry, it sounds like he is very powerful and could possibly have either of the elves as his ancestors.

The same is possible for Thessa, but given Yvains power, it would fit more for him.

Well, we don't know that they were all evil, or rather that they all stayed evil. It is quite possible that some of Kyorlin's students followed him when he had a change of heart.

I don't think that what we know about Trenton Majosi makes him sound evil

I'd have to guess that a guy named "Asmoday" who practices the most Evil form of magic from a sphere controlled by the Erebusian equivalent of Satan is probably some sort of nasty demon by now.

Wode is the student of Shadow magic and was elven. i would assume that he was of the Unseelie Court and would then be one of the founding fathers of the Svartalfar.

Wode is the student of Shadow magic and was elven. i would assume that he was of the Unseelie Court and would then be one of the founding fathers of the Svartalfar.

or founding mothers, it's never really stated whether some of the students were male or female. Most are already known or obvious from the name, but some aren't clear on that.

By the way, what's with Os-Gabella? Wasn't she ancient and didn't she run away from humanity? Then why did she become one of Kylorin's students?

AFAIK, noone knew how to wield magic before Ceridwen (I think) taught it to Kylorin. So if Os wanted to learn new and interesting ways to kill herself, she had to demean herself to learning from a mortal.

So, what did Gastrius do?

You mean other that die at the hand of Kyorlin and advise Perpentach from within his mind? I don't know.

We need to convince Kael to come to this thread and tell us where all of these are. Be it in Creation, the Underworld, or (probably the most likely for most of them) one of the Hells.

Since elves are extremely long lived, it's entirely possible the two elven students are still alive. The time frame from Kylorin teaching his students to the beginning of the age of rebirth is probably a thousand years, maybe less. So if the two elves are still alive, they are probably in the elven equivalent of bieng in thier 90s or 100s.

I wonder if Greysun belonged to the ancestors of the Hippus, his name sounds like a tribal name.

I agree, we really need to get Kael to say where they are now. Although I'm sure most of them are dead, even the ones that were good and sided with Kylorin.

EDIT!: I just noticed something, the name of the student for life magic has the exact same name as Tali's archangel. So is this guy actually the archangel of Tali or just someone who happens to have the same name? edit: just double checked, the name is slightly different, only missing the second u. It's still a curious thing though.

well obviously the ones that were Afions are dead ( a few of the students were Afions,but i can't remember which ones.)

.Arawyn., are you a student of Barbatos? I haven't seen such thread necromancy in quite a while. (If it weren't for the periods and the y I'd think something really strange was up, as the god of death Arawn abhors necromancy.)

Of Kylorin's disciples only Trenton Majosi was an Aifon. There may have been lesser Aifon mages serving in Patria, but Trenton is the only one to receive personal instruction from Kylorin or go on to head a school of magic.

We know that Trenton was one of the greatest heroes of the age of magic, and that on his quest to find a way to save his people took the time to fight valiantly alongside human, elven, and dwarven allies to save their people's too. Nothing evil has been revealed about him. He almost certainly sided with the redeemed Kylorin against his corrupt peers, and may have helped inspire Kylorin;s change of heart in the first place.

Jenkin was one of the player characters in Kael's D&D campaign, but I think the only thing revealed about him in the lore of Erebus is that he was friends with Barbatos.

I believe that Mikel Dylantyr was a character from Kael'd D&D campaign, who was the archmage of the bannor capital city of Braduk and good friends with its king Khorde NuValle. As the Bannor were the most fanatically good faction of the age of magic, Mikel almost certainly took a lead role siding with Kylorin in his rebellion against his own evil establishment. He was likely involved in the founding of the Bannor nation.

We know that Gatrius commit crimes serious enough that Kylorin thought he deserved death, but that his atrocities were not as bad as those Perpentach performed. Considering that Gastrius's precept most certainly includes memory altering spells. I've come to like the idea that Kylorin's memory of killing Gastrius was forged and this archmage actually got away. I especially like the idea that Gatrius has become like the Gowlers, existing only in memories but free to explore and alter all the memories of those who know of him. If this is so, it might not even be a copy of him that guides Perpentach but the archmage himself, and this consciousness might not be limited to entering his mind only. It also seems rather plausible that he could have created a tome not unlike Tom Riddle's Diary from Harry Potter which preserves his essence in sentient mutable text.

It seems quite likely that an elven student of Kylorin still lives. Arendel Phaedra and Faeryl Viconia have been alive and ruling since long before the end of the Godswar, likely before Kylorin's great grandparents were even conceived. Of course, more modern elves may not have such longevity. (Also, although it has never been officially stated, I like to think that they are 3 of Cernunnos's 3 wives and so may have been gifted immorality by the Archangel/God of Nature.) Yvain has unfortunately been retconned into a treant, but before that he was an example of an elf that has lived at least since the age of rebirth. (I have come to prefer to think of him as a Satyr though, to make his title of "favorite child of Cernunnos" literal.)

We don't know anything about Leucetios personally, but we do know that life mages created some of the worst monstrosities in history. Their behavior was so egregious that Arawn shut himself off from Erebus and cut off their supply of life mana. We don't know the exact time this happened, but when it did life mages were left virtually powerless until Sucellus took up the precept and was resurrected at the start of the current age. (I had noticed the similarity in the names before. If I recall the archangel of air's name comes from what Romans in Gaul called a local Celtic deity associated with lightning. The archmage's name seems to be an Oscan dialect epithet meaning light bringer (which in standard Latin is of course Lucifer), generally applied to Jupiter. The Celtic deity's name is likely taken from the same source.)

I have no basis for this, but I like to think that Badb froze himself in suspended animation and could still be revived.

.Arawyn., are you a student of Barbatos? I haven't seen such thread necromancy in quite a while. (If it weren't for the periods and the y I'd think something really strange was up, as the god of death Arawn abhors necromancy.)

Naw, i made up the Name Arawyn when i started playing World of Warcraft. My toon was a nightelf, and i though "hey, Arawyn sounds a hell of a lot like an elf name!" so i decided to use it. And i did. I use for my username for everything. I like the name alot :D:)

Top Bottom