Lead Designer Soren Johnson livestreaming and discussing Civ IV

That's not the vibe I got watching. Have you watched it yet?

Yeah, but that's not what he sounded like he was talking about, but yes that's not what he might have meant.

It's also possible that the blue circles were based on hidden resources in beta but removed at some later point and Johnson is remembering the original code, not what was released.

It's also possible that the blue circles were based on hidden resources in beta but removed at some later point and Johnson is remembering the original code, not what was released.
True, it may have even been that vanilla was/is like this as the experiment I linked wasn't carried out till BTS.

Sorry for the confusion! I am talking about the same "AI" function, but in the case of the blue circles, I believe that it is looking at hidden resources. When that function is used to decide where the AI founds cities, it does not look at hidden resources. (I believe the function takes a parameter that determines this.)

Either way, it's all in the released source code, so it should be easy to figure out...

Sorry for the confusion! I am talking about the same "AI" function, but in the case of the blue circles, I believe that it is looking at hidden resources. When that function is used to decide where the AI founds cities, it does not look at hidden resources. (I believe the function takes a parameter that determines this.)

Either way, it's all in the released source code, so it should be easy to figure out...
So maybe the blue circles give us more info than even the AI is privvy to!
Interesting, thanks for the enlightenment.

According to memory of discussions here years ago, and a couple of my games, the blue circles consider all hidden resources such as iron and coal. So it can be wise to trust the blue squares. Then again, the hidden resources might come too late (oil) to make a difference to your city.

The blue circles move, so they must be based on "de-fogged" squares only.

Sorry, I won't have the bandwidth to see your stream for two more days. You may have covered this. Did I mention that you are awesome?

I've read this whole thread and I'm still confused. (and the ones listed)

Getting old really sucks.

I've read this whole thread and I'm still confused. (and the ones listed)

Getting old really sucks.

No kidding. I pulled out my old floppy discs of some old games to rearrange my collection, and my youngest asked me what they were.... <sigh>.

Hill? What hill? I don't remember seeing any hill. How the hell can I be over it then?

They say the memory is the first thing to go.

The second thing is…. is…. ……. Rats! I can't remember. :D

Haven't visited these forums in months, if not years. Glad I accidentally found myself here today! Excellent. Can't wait to watch the videos (if my stunning 1.32 Mbps can keep up!).

Top Bottom