[LP] Leader Pass Pack 3: Rulers of China Revealed (Coming Jan. 19th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the worse. This configuration makes it so that the forum is basically dead (because we don't have a lot to discuss about except Wu's eyebrows), and when we finally have informations about the abilities, the forum is dead too because people are too busy trying the new leaders in the game, and once it's done, we don't have much to discuss about. So the forum is not really alive anymore, not the bustling activity we had for the NFP or even better, Gathering Storm. The speculations were wild. Here, we just think Qin looks cartoonish, Yongle is kind of forgettable (on purpose) and Wu is good but weird (perhaps because of eyebrows and the weird fashions they had back then).

I miss the old speculation. Frankly, one thing I wait about Civ VII is the discussions we will all have here.

I miss the Gathering Storm speculation days, back when the First Looks were first coming out. It was unironically the most fun I had online in a while.

I mentioned before in previous thread, but I would much rather they went back to releasing individual First Looks for each leader in the days leading up to release rather than the Leader Spotlight videos that are not particularly conducive for discussion. The amalgamated First Look of all three leaders the day of release is pretty much too late as by then we already have the DLC and/or have seen at least some of the LUA in a livestream.

Also...bring back Sarah for the First Looks! 😏

This is why I hate these rollouts. I just don't see why they can't reveal the abilities a couple days prior to release, so that people can discuss and theorycraft over them. I don't know why they have to hold these cards so close to their chest. Plus, the abilities are just recycled versions of other leaders' abilities, so they're nothing special. No new unique units, or wonders, or anything else added to the game.
Yeah, its kind of amazing how bad Firaxis is at building hype. Like, they seemed incredible paranoid during NFP that someone might learn something before Firaxis wanted them to, given how much they kept editing the videos to hide things. Like, releasing the complete list of Civs and Leaders at the beginning of the pass wasn't going to diminish the hype because people get excited for the initial reveal, all of these cool new leaders/civs, and then hyped again when they find out what their abilities and stuff are. Its so bizarre.

Honestly, I'd kind of take anyone else at this point.

This whole rollout feels really a backlash in quality from the previous ones. I mean, do you remember, fpr Great Negotiators, how on some medias the abilities of Julius Caesar and Nzinga Mbande were different from what was actually released? It's as if they aren't still sure about what the abilities will be and therefore are unable to proclaim them first, in the possible outcome that they will create a false hype. I remember, several weeks ago, how we were all disappointed that Julius didn't had his additional Military Card slot when conquering his first capital, or that Nzinga Mbande ended with a lamer version of Lady Six Skyes ability instead of her trade routes one which was perhaps less powerful but at least was interesting.

The only favourable explanation would be that they are so focus on Civ VII (or something else) that they really have the bare necessities to roll out some leaders, but nothing else. So marketing is dead and abilities are clonky and not definitive until the very last moment.

Frankly, despite the fact that this is all free, I feel disappointed and it does not give me confidence in Firaxis for the future. Thank God it's all free, because everything feels a mess. Fortunately we have Tokugawa which actually have an interesting gameplay tied to him.

I mentioned before in previous thread, but I would much rather they went back to releasing individual First Looks for each leader in the days leading up to release rather than the Leader Spotlight videos that are not particularly conducive for discussion. The amalgamated First Look of all three leaders the day of release is pretty much too late as by then we already have the DLC and/or have seen at least some of the LUA in a livestream.

Sara works for Zenimax now.

I miss the Gathering Storm speculation days, back when the First Looks were first coming out. It was unironically the most fun I had online in a while.

Me too. And I'm usually bad at speculation, but I did call railroads from the clue, so I got something right. I mostly just like to read what other people write. Always fun trying to guess which civs would be in the xp.

And it makes me concerned this may be the method of releasing content from here on out. I saw a youtube video that seemed to imply Frontier pack was a good way to release content. I mean, regular releases were nice, but I hope Civ7 has proper expansion packs. That's the only way to add on other complex systems imho. I hate to think the days of expansion packs are gone and everything will be piecemeal dlc.

Me too. And I'm usually bad at speculation, but I did call railroads from the clue, so I got something right. I mostly just like to read what other people write. Always fun trying to guess which civs would be in the xp.

And it makes me concerned this may be the method of releasing content from here on out. I saw a youtube video that seemed to imply Frontier pack was a good way to release content. I mean, regular releases were nice, but I hope Civ7 has proper expansion packs. That's the only way to add on other complex systems imho. I hate to think the days of expansion packs are gone and everything will be piecemeal dlc.
They said, after Gathering Storm, that the game was "complete" in the sense of big mechanics. They added loyalty and environmental disasters, reactive environment, and after that all the systems were kind of OK. A lot of people were already complaining that too many expansions are just adding needless complexity over a mountain of stuff, and that it would just clutter the game more and more. That's why they went with the New Frontier Pass and small mods, and the Leaders Pack with only leaders. They don't need right now to implement big fancy new mechanics: they just need to find new ways to interact with them with new leaders.

Which is good, actually. Vietnam find a new way to interact with features, Portugal was a good way to interact with trade, the Mayas were a good way to... simply completely revert what you knew. Big new fancy mechanics are not needed to create new gameplays. Sometimes, a well designed civ is all you need.

However, don't be afraid: the quality and the delivery of the Leaders Pack is definitely the last we will have for Civ VI. The next one will be Civ VII. Which means that there will be a big vanilla game upon which speculating, and they will need one or two big expansion to add more fancy mechanics that they didn't had time to implement. It's the end of the cycle for Civ VI, we need to face it, but that means that a brand new tomorrow is upon us !

I hope they "accidentally" post a blurry image with leader portraits again. That was fun. But who will be the new Tamar of Georgia? :mischief:

Tamar of Georgia alt persona
She'd have to have a primary persona first--I was speaking of a Civ7 leaderboard. :p (I genuinely liked having Georgia in Civ6, memes aside, but I'd rather have Armenia take their place in Civ7 personally.)

Hail King Tamar. I'm sure that if she had come first, she'd have Jadwiga's personality and agenda. Hope she has a better skillset if she does come again

Hail King Tamar. I'm sure that if she had come first, she'd have Jadwiga's personality and agenda. Hope she has a better skillset if she does come again
Eh, girlish, sweet, and innocent is not how I'd describe Tamar from any of the sources. Maybe if she'd come first she'd have Tomyris's personality...At any rate, here's hoping she's not confusingly sulky and paranoid in her next appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom