[LP] Leader Pass Pack 5: Great Builders Revealed (Coming Mar. 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it truly "Scotland needs an additional leader", and not "Scotland needs a functional leader at all?"

The problem with Scotland is not that they don't have enough leader, but that the leaders we have are useless. Just rework him, and Scotland doesn't need a new leader. Even something as simple as "Cities gain +2 Amenities for 20 turns after liberating a city" to tie with the War of Liberation theme and the happiness bonus theme. Because, right now, it's garbage and doesn't even have the decency to be thematic with the rest.

(Personally, since we already have British Scotland alongside British England, we don't need yet another leader from the British Isles: we're at five already. Such a ridiculous territory doesn't need even more representation.)
Not to necro this thread but I would love it if you didn’t generalise an entire region as ridiculous. Scotland is as full of wonderful and generous people as most other places in the world.

And absolutely deserving of a second leader. *wink* Firaxis

Mods are created by one or a few amateurs for free. Modders have nowhere close to the resources official developers have.
I mean, is this really true?

Modders can be amateurs. A fair amount of the time they're not. I'm a professional software developer. I'm no artist, but on the code side of things? I'm pretty good (toot toot, etc).

And modders always have the most important advantage over any professional developer: time. A lot of the complaints about Civ VI that aren't fundamental to the design generally boil down to "polish".

As a professional, the time I get to polish a solution is minimal. And that's with the liberties I take in scope and in my arguments to justify the time estimates for any piece of work. Because polish matters, and as a senior developer thankfully do does my opinion. But only some of the time. Getting features out matters more, most of the time, because that's what sells.

I agree with this completely by the way:
I am well within my right to expect quality from an official release and to be disappointed at the slippage of that quality.

I mean, is this really true?

Modders can be amateurs. A fair amount of the time they're not. I'm a professional software developer. I'm no artist, but on the code side of things? I'm pretty good (toot toot, etc).

And modders always have the most important advantage over any professional developer: time. A lot of the complaints about Civ VI that aren't fundamental to the design generally boil down to "polish".
Yeah, in that sense you're absolutely right. What I meant, though, was the division of labor.

We have very few animated, voiced modded civs. The majority of them are from Sukritact. He does everything himself: modeling, animating, texturing, coding, writing. At Firaxis, you have dedicated professionals to accomplish each of these tasks. These professionals also have access to the developer tools as opposed to simply the modding SDK.

Yeah, in that sense you're absolutely right. What I meant, though, was the division of labor.

We have very few animated, voiced modded civs. The majority of them are from Sukritact. He does everything himself: modeling, animating, texturing, coding, writing. At Firaxis, you have dedicated professionals to accomplish each of these tasks. These professionals also have access to the developer tools as opposed to simply the modding SDK.
My bad. A lot of the feedback so far has - understandably! - focused on little but the art itself, which is what lead me to my opinion.

(also the line on tools vs. SDK is getting more blurred, for better or worse. I could write more but I'll save it for another thread)

I really like the artstyle for the Neuschwanstein in the back. Really a painting feeling.

Not a twink enough for my taste, but a better model. Eager to see him move and, more importantly, too see his ability.

Ludwig II was ma most anticipated leader of the whole LP and, while it's not to levels of my personal hype, I'm not disappointed at all and even pleased with what we have so far.

I somewhat wonder whether he'll speak German or Bavarian.
Is Bavarian considered a separate language? I thought it was just a dialect of German.

I think his voice is fine. It's definitely not as deep as Ramses and I don't think I'd want him too high pitched.

I really like the artstyle for the Neuschwanstein in the back. Really a painting feeling.

Not a twink enough for my taste, but a better model. Eager to see him move and, more importantly, too see his ability.

Ludwig II was ma most anticipated leader of the whole LP and, while it's not to levels of my personal hype, I'm not disappointed at all and even pleased with what we have so far.

My lil' Teutonic boyfriend over here.

Is Bavarian considered a separate language? I thought it was just a dialect of German.
Depends. Sometimes, it's considered a language, sometimes, it's considered a dialect - nevertheless, the difference from standard German would have been recogniseable in the vocabulary used - mostly in the way that I'd have trouble understanding it :p.

Anyway, as for the spotlight, I am fairly confident he speaks German - I can understand his words fine. He says: "Ich bin Ludwig von Bayern, König dieser Lande. Der Schwanenritters alte Sage lebt in mir erneut." Whether he speaks with a Bavarian accent or not I can't tell.

The English translation in the spotlight more or less fits (though a more literal translation of his second sentence would have been "The old legend of the Swan Knight lives in me anew", but meaningwise, that's kinda the same as the official translation).

If Rome gets another one I'd love them to throw out Constantine and make them religious, otherwise I don't necessarily care for another one. I'd much rather see Hannibal, even though its a DLC and would give us something in North Africa, at least. :mischief:

It's stretching a bit too far, but I could see Constantine added even as a dual Rome - Byzantium leader. Also I wouldn't mind Hannibal added as "Phoenician" even if not fully correct. For others mentioned, Isabella is clearly one of my first candidates, and Catherine the Great too, even when having Peter. (I won't mind Ivan either, Rusia can well have 3-4 leaders if others have). Napoleon (either I or III) would be nice too, and do not overlap much with current French leaders.

It's stretching a bit too far, but I could see Constantine added even as a dual Rome - Byzantium leader. Also I wouldn't mind Hannibal added as "Phoenician" even if not fully correct. For others mentioned, Isabella is clearly one of my first candidates, and Catherine the Great too, even when having Peter. (I won't mind Ivan either, Rusia can well have 3-4 leaders if others have). Napoleon (either I or III) would be nice too, and do not overlap much with current French leaders.
I mean I'd love Catherine too, but I just don't see anything new that she could bring that Russia already has with Peter.
The more I've thought about it another plus for Napoleon is they could make the Garde Imperiale his UU and give us another French UU, like the Musketeers. I know they said no new units in the LP but technically he wouldn't be part of the LP. :mischief:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom