Leftism in Academia

MattBrown said:
Plus, I dont think we should make too much of this stat. Clearly, professors arent making their students all that more liberal...or else we'd see that in elections. Any educator worth his pay ought to be able to explain the concepts of the subject without injecting bias, and when he deicdes to offer up his own opinion (which I think professors should do), that he makes a clear distinction between his thoughts and the text.

The only way this becomes a problem is if Professors grade their conservative minded students in a more harsh manner. Studies have shown (I posted one last year from the University of Nevada, and American has done a similar study that I participated in, and reached the same conclusion) that this is not the case. Conservatives do just as well as Liberals.
Okay. One thing, though, that we seem to be forgetting: professors don't just teach, they also do research. For maximum utility, this research should be done in an intellectual setting in which different ideas are fired back at each other in a healthy spirit of debate. When there's no debate, creativity in the academic field is stifled.
betazed said:
while it is obvious why the lower end of the education scale would be democratic/liberal (I am using the term interchangeably - possibly incorrectly so), it is not at all obvious (though I can think of several pointers) why the other end of the spectrum is democratic/liberal.
Well I'm curious, what would those several pointers be?

MattBrown said:
This totally dpends on what you do in the goverment, and which level (local, state, federal), you work for. Some of the federal jobs are very very demanding...and if you're lazy in local goverment, its easier for somebody to spot you and throw you out
Well I was talking mostly about my experince with brazilian gvt employees, but my short experience with gvt emplyess of the other nations is not much better, I'm afraid.

luiz said:
Well I was talking mostly about my experince with brazilian gvt employees, but my short experience with gvt emplyess of the other nations is not much better, I'm afraid.

Of course, I should have understood that. In that case, you are exactly right. We should all be so lucky to work for the Brazilian goverment. Man, if I lived there, I'd be a libertarian too!

Bozo Erectus said:
The only problem I have with the Leftism in Academia is that too often its more like Stalinism. Anyone who strays from the partyline in any way is villified and personally attacked, before finally being silenced.

Definently true. The instructors at S.I.U. are scary hard-left. :eek:

Lots of good and interesting replies.

To speak to a couple points raised by Ainwood and Tulkas... I think you're right in terms of the entreprenuerial spirit. I find that's a non-partisan drive. :)

But, in terms of the idea of a "capitalist", I'd need further definition as to what that specifically means. If you mean in an investment sense, I'd say you have to look at the persons motivation. I'd say the capitalist investor doesn't care much if the thing he's investing in betters society. He cares that it will line his pocket. Now, obviously, if it also is a social good, so much the better.

But, I'll argue that capitalism, esp. is amoral. It does not care at all, specifially, about the "good" of society or the improvement thereof. Not directly. It cares about markets and profits.

As for educators, the whole "those who can do, those who can't teach" is so old and insulting.... the reality is that teachers are "doing" something. Let me correct the saying. Those who can do, those who care teach, and those who can't post on internet forums. ;)

But, in the end, I simply think that there is no broad conspiracy. Certain industries, attract certain types of people. Bankers and accountants are different that artists who are different than mechanics etc.... In the case of academia, given some of the demands of the job, it simply skews a certain way.

WillJ said:
This is in reference to an article included at the bottom.

72% of professors at American universities identify themselves as liberal, only 15% as conservative. Other statistics (on party registration, ideas on various issues, etc.) show similar imbalances.

Why do you think this is? Possible explanations (which ones you like will obviously depend on your political leaning):

The reason is very simple. College is a place where ideas are expected to be tossed around for the sake of education. This breeds introspection into new ideas more than old ones, and new ideas are usually liberal.

I think this whole "Leftists are scruffy idealistic nerds who can't see the real world" doesn't hold water.

Fact is, there are rich liberals and poor conservatives. Liberal elite and all that.

Tulkas12 said:
I tend to veiw this the other way around. Conservatives are't generally interested in teaching. Its not their bag. They ten to be more entrepenuerial then that. They go to the private secter as the risk/rward factor there is much greater. This goes ino the whole idea that I think modern liberalism is basically paternalism, in which I veis that lefties just wnat someone to take care of them.

Shane I thnk the confusion came from ( I know this bothers me too) the idea that conservatives are backwards. Conservatives lead the way in innovation as often as not I'm sure. Progressive is probably the biggest misuse of a word that I know of, and it will continue so I've gotten used to it.

conservative = status quo =/= wanting progress

blackheart said:
conservative = status quo =/= wanting progress
Wow, that's just great generalizing.
Here, I can do one too:

conservativism = status quo = racism?

or how about

liberalism = big government = authoritativism =/= wanting progress ?

garric said:
Here, I can do one too:

or how about

Holding the statuos quo does not necessarily lead to racism, unless the status quo is already that of racism.

Please read the wiki articles on liberalism and conservatism, you'll see that by definition, conservatives are resistant to change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism#Liberal_conservatism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism

garric said:
Here, I can do one too:

or how about

Seriously, wtf are you talking about. He basically quoted the dictionary definition of conservative (non-political context):

3 a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : TRADITIONAL b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners <a conservative suit>

What is so hard to understand? Or do I need to post what "status quo" means as well?

garric said:
Hmm, you do certainly seem to be an expert on the subject.

garric said:
Listen, I'm amazed you have trouble understanding why a liberal like you has little clout when it comes to these things.
garric said:
I don't need a liberal like you, Mojo, to tell me what's "good" for me.
garric said:
Pros [of suburbia]:
-Not so many liberals
garric said:
Only a brainwashed liberal would think the US government had any part in making 9/11 happen; most of the time they don't really believe it, just say it because their liberal friends told them it's true.
garric said:
Oh well, liberals do crazy things all the time...
garric said:
Only a hardcore anti-American liberal would think twice about this question
garric said:
I know liberals have a problem with common sense

Top Bottom