1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Legions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Kael, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Hybrisma

Hybrisma Chieftain

Have you messed around with limited stacking at all?

Civ4-esque stacks of doom, to put it frankly, sucked. But maybe limited ability to stack will help the AI protect their ranged units a bit better.

2. Kolath

Kolath Eternal Lurker

Kael, as for an interface, the game already has something like it for air units. Could you apply the air unit stack interface to all units or would that also require source code access?

3. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Dones anyone still have a copy of the documents of Legion 1? I need them or just a copy of the Member Count part is just fine also.

4. Lebowski89

Lebowski89 Chieftain

Heh, the one change that makes this game a million times better for me is the one change that many of you want modded out. Thank goodness for mod's they allow the game to be accommodating to everybody.

Stacks of death do suck though, come on.. admit it:p

5. Xmas

Xmas Chieftain

Kael, do you know if there's a way to make a ranged attack hurt all the units in a stack (except civilian ones)?

6. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

I liked this mod cause it bring back the classic promotion's, but too bad it won't let me purchase more then one unit.

7. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Chieftain

Is there anyway to modify the stacking so only certain units can stack (ie a naval unit with a transport, defender with artillery/ranged units ?

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I noticed an interesting siege of Sidon in my last game, which the Ottomans wanted to capture (and indeed did). A lot of unit moving around was going on, but if an exposed Archer or Catapult got damaged (from green to yellow) they pulled it back. Even Sidon tried this, but to little avail, as they didn´t really have any spare room. As I had made Sidon my ally, they even gifted me a damaged Catapult, which I however immediately gifted back, because I had no need for it. (In retrospect I might have kept it, but I was interested to see how long they would hold out.) Anyway, there was a lot of stacking and unstacking going on.

Another question: have any CTDs been reported associated with Legions? (I suspect not, but want to eliminate a possible cause, as I have Legions enabled all the time now.)

9. QES

QES Court Jester

Lol Kael. You read my mind every time.

I hope you are well man, I see you are still der uber furor of the civilization community.

EDIT/ADD: I did like the intention of civ 5 to make terrain and positioning matter. I was just wondering if it was possible to have stacking but limit it to "unit types." One can have a civy and a military unit together, what if it was 1 civil, 1 infantry, 1 ranged, and 1 cavalry per hex? This would still limit mobility and require strategy, but then some things could get some protection.

A compromise worth making?

10. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

Where in the XML is it determined whether a unit counts as a combat or a non-combat unit for stacking?
    And what about missiles and aircraft, which can stack?

11. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Ok I have played 1 game to the discovery of coal.

My impression is the AI handles this allot better than the 1upt.
    Not having an interface to see the unit is annoying but livable
    1 Bug i notice however is a melee unit garrisoned in a city cannot attack out of the city in a double stack, I was also trying to attack across a river if that matters, sorry no save

Overall I would say until the AI is fixed for 1upt this is infinitely more playable.

p.s. the city has a place to view two units, i wonder if you could use something similar to display two units. probably not but it might be an avenue to look into.

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Stacked units doesn´t mean you can stack attack. But I have noticed difficulty trying to get a unit to attack from a city, so that´s confirmed (I can click endlessly on the Attack button, but the unit won´t budge; if I do 1 move out of the city, then attack, it works fine.)

13. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

What happens if you simply right-click the target unit instead of using the attack button? FWIW, I never use the attack button.

14. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Tried that too. Plus left and- or rightclicking. Especially Swordsmen, Longswordsmen and their upgrades I can´t seem to get to attack directly from a city. I get the attack button plus odds, but no go...

15. Kissa

Kissa Warlord

I have the same problem.
    Aparently only the range attack units can attack from a city.

Dont know why ?

Plus, in Civ4 range attack units can "suicide" attack (direct attack non range attack), but not in Civ5 ?

16. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

I had a similar situation occur without the mod. It seems that it's just some kind of bug in the game's code.
    I had a garrisoned melee unit in my city, and a naval unit in the same city. The melee unit was not able to attack out of the city, but after moving the naval unit out of the city, he was able to attack.

17. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

I can verify this behavior. In my case I had a Bowman garrisoned in the city and moved a Swordsman from behind the city to attack a unit on the other side. It stopped in the city and would not attack. Since I had already attacked with the Bowman, I had to move the Swordsman out to perform the attack. Luckily it had enough MPs. :whew:

18. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I'd like to see stacking discouraged, but not removed entirely. Doesn't this just restore the old problem in it's unholy glory?

One unit per tile is bad
    Stacks of doom are bad

Can't we have some middle ground?

19. JeBuS27

JeBuS27 Heretic

Small stacks of lesser doom?

20. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

You can stack, but you can´t stack attack. Though IMO there should be a limit to the stacking (especially since you can´t currently see what´s in the stack and it´s excruciating to try ´n pick the unit you want to use from a stack - so I´m currently only using the stack feature as little as possible).