Legions

Not so much a feature request as a theoretical idea: Could you make unit stacking dependent on technologies or unit promotions? For example you unlock 2 stacks after....bronze working.

Okay, it is a feature request. Shameless, shameless feature request.

Also: This is awesome.

You can stack, but you can´t stack attack. Though IMO there should be a limit to the stacking (especially since you can´t currently see what´s in the stack and it´s excruciating to try ´n pick the unit you want to use from a stack - so I´m currently only using the stack feature as little as possible).

Interface reasons don't stop stacks from being overpowered. Stack attack was always just an interface convenience that never had an actual effect on battle.

Personally, I'd like to see someting like:

• 1-2 units can stack fine.
  • with 3+ units, an additional 8% penalty is applied for each additional unit, to all units in the stack (so with 10 units, everyone is at 44% strength)
  • Additional movement costs for entering a tile already containing 3+ units.
  • Some promotions, like Cover, would be nullified when in a stack containing too many units.
  • A hard cap of 10 units per tile
  • The return of Collateral Damage
  • Non combat units not counted in these penalties.
  • An AI that understands and works around these penalties, stacking when necessary, not just when it wants to.

By "stack attack" do you mean the Civ4 option? If so, realize that it's just a UI shortcut to attacking with each unit one after the other. It doesn't give you any benefits at all. It cycles through all selected units, picks the strongest and attacks with it. The best defender for each unit is still picked so you don't gain any advantage. You are only freed from click, click, click, clicking to make all the attacks.

So not having the stack attack in Civ5 is only a PITA. It's not a compromise to avoid SoD abuse. :lol:

Edit: What WarKirby said. :) D'oh!

Well, thanks for stating the obvious. Lemme repeat: you can´t stack attack. You can stack all you want, but in order to attack you need to unstack all the units in your stack. (So if you have 10 units, like in the cap example, you need to unstack them 1 at a time.) This is because there´s no stack interface/icon. Oh, why do I even trouble myself...:rolleyes: Carryon!

Lemme repeat: you can´t stack attack.

We're all agreed here.

You can stack all you want,

Here's where a little more obviousness would be nice: by "stack" do you mean "place multiple units on a single tile"? Yes, this mod allows that. But given that you keep mentioning "stack attack" which means "selecting multiple units and making them all attack with a single click", here "stack" might mean "select multiple units" which we all know is impossible in Civ5.

So ya, some clarity would help here. <obvious> Using the same term to mean multiple things doesn't help. </obvious>

but in order to attack you need to unstack all the units in your stack.

Are you saying you need to move them off the tile with the stack to attack? I doubt it as this only seems to be a bug on city tiles. So that must not be it.

So I guess in the end you're asking for the ability to select multiple units at once, but Civ5 has no notion of this. In Civ4 you had CvSelectionGroup which grouped units into stacks. They may have removed it entirely from the SDK.

Hi Kael,

Thanks for all your hard work. Your mods make this game much better. I was wondering if it was possible to make a version of Legions that allows just 2 units per plot and adds all of the promotions? You can PM me at Go_Utes@comcast.net if you'd like. Thanks much in advance.

Here's where a little more obviousness would be nice: by "stack" do you mean "place multiple units on a single tile"? Yes, this mod allows that. But given that you keep mentioning "stack attack" which means "selecting multiple units and making them all attack with a single click", here "stack" might mean "select multiple units" which we all know is impossible in Civ5.

So ya, some clarity would help here. <obvious> Using the same term to mean multiple things doesn't help. </obvious> [...] Are you saying you need to move them off the tile with the stack to attack? I doubt it as this only seems to be a bug on city tiles. So that must not be it.

What I´m saying is in my post. I´m not saying anything I´m not saying. Seems rather <obvious> obvious </obvious>. When I use stack, I mean stack. When I use stack attack, I mean stack attack. Anywho, what I mean is word for word in the post you´re cutting into irrelevant bits, so I´ll not repeat it again..

Has anyone got a download link for this, or even a torrent file, as I have had a problem running Microsoft BITS so I cannot use the Mods browser...

Just wanted to say, fantastic mod. War was so slow before, this speeds it up significantly. I know the non-stacking way may be more realistic but it was very tedious. Thanks again

Biggest flaw I've found with this (besides the stack-attack option I'd like) is that when you stack your units in a city they do nothing for defense and when the city is taken you lose them all. Found that out the hard way. No biggie, great job.

I am using a modded version of the 'Legions' mod to enable two units per hex.
[PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT, Set Value="2"] This generally works fine except when combat situations arise where either I am sharing a hex with an enemy or an enemy is sharing a hex with another faction (The second can screw completely if you try and attack getting stuck in a 'Do you want to go to war' loop.

I have read through this thread and it would seem that nobody has yet found a solution to the combat problems. There also seems to be no definitive answer as to whether this IS fixable or is likely hardcoded.
A possible solution would be to prevent units of different factions sharing hexes (without preventing ' Pass throughs')?? Although this would seem to leave the question of which unit attacks and defends in a two stack situation?

This is starting to be a game-breaker for me. Personally I find 'normal' Civ5 (1 unit per hex) way too restrictive and think it causes more problems and frustrations than it solves. With 2 units per hex many problems (and virtually all frustrations) are solved (defending catapults and generals, moving where YOU want without units suddenly swapping places or being blocked unnecessarily), BUT and it's a big but, once combat starts to get in any way involved (with more than one unit per hex) the whole thing falls apart and more than likely I will sooner or later encounter either mysteriously invisible units, a major infinite query loop or a 'waiting for opponents' loop that means you have to reload.

So I'm in a can't live with - can't live without it situation. (i.e. A game breaker). A solution would be SOOOO great. An answer to some of the questions posed in this response would be a start I guess.
(It seems to me (as an old ex programmer myself) that the game was written to allow multiple units per hex but that the 'programmers' were unable to solve the combat problems within budget and time constraints and therefore went for the 'easy' option of allowing 1 unit per hex.)
I'm also starting to think that if this was solvable then some of the expert modders out there would have cracked it by now.

I am using a modded version of the 'Legions' mod to enable two units per hex.
[PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT, Set Value="2"] This generally works fine except when combat situations arise where either I am sharing a hex with an enemy or an enemy is sharing a hex with another faction (The second can screw completely if you try and attack getting stuck in a 'Do you want to go to war' loop.

I have read through this thread and it would seem that nobody has yet found a solution to the combat problems. There also seems to be no definitive answer as to whether this IS fixable or is likely hardcoded.
A possible solution would be to prevent units of different factions sharing hexes (without preventing ' Pass throughs')?? Although this would seem to leave the question of which unit attacks and defends in a two stack situation?

This is starting to be a game-breaker for me. Personally I find 'normal' Civ5 (1 unit per hex) way too restrictive and think it causes more problems and frustrations than it solves. With 2 units per hex many problems (and virtually all frustrations) are solved (defending catapults and generals, moving where YOU want without units suddenly swapping places or being blocked unnecessarily), BUT and it's a big but, once combat starts to get in any way involved (with more than one unit per hex) the whole thing falls apart and more than likely I will sooner or later encounter either mysteriously invisible units, a major infinite query loop or a 'waiting for opponents' loop that means you have to reload.

So I'm in a can't live with - can't live without it situation. (i.e. A game breaker). A solution would be SOOOO great. An answer to some of the questions posed in this response would be a start I guess.
(It seems to me (as an old ex programmer myself) that the game was written to allow multiple units per hex but that the 'programmers' were unable to solve the combat problems within budget and time constraints and therefore went for the 'easy' option of allowing 1 unit per hex.)
I'm also starting to think that if this was solvable then some of the expert modders out there would have cracked it by now.

amen, I totally agree

I cant find this in the Steam workshop. Does anyone have a link or the file you can upload.

Please note that this was one of the first ever mods developed for Civ V and that the reason it doesn't work anymore is because Kael does not mod Civ V anymore (think he works at Stardock or something?). Nevertheless somebody will have to make a new one.

Please note that this was one of the first ever mods developed for Civ V and that the reason it doesn't work anymore is because Kael does not mod Civ V anymore (think he works at Stardock or something?). Nevertheless somebody will have to make a new one.

I take it this mod wouldn't work in G&K anyway.

I take it this mod wouldn't work in G&K anyway.

I mean I don't know exactly what the mod changes.

If it's just unit stacking that's easily moddable in the GlobalDefines.xml.

Actually, this mod can be made in 15 minutes and it would be fully compatible with gods and kings no problem. The AI just won't stack. Ever.

I mean I don't know exactly what the mod changes.

If it's just unit stacking that's easily moddable in the GlobalDefines.xml.

Actually, this mod can be made in 15 minutes and it would be fully compatible with gods and kings no problem. The AI just won't stack. Ever.
I just had a look at that file there are heaps of things in there. What do i need to change.

Top Bottom