1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Legions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Kael, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Railgun

Railgun Chieftain

Kael, while I do not like the Stack of Doom features of this mod and the unit maintenance fix, I really, really like the promotions. Is there any way you can make a mod with only those please?

2. Kael

Kael Deity

I just started an unmodded game with 22 civilizations without a problem. I assume it just uses duplicate civ/leaders to do this. With Queen of the Iceni you would have one less duplicate civ/leader since it would have another leader to draw from.

You are the 2nd person to request that in this thread. And yes I am looking into releasing a promotion mod, but I'd like them to do more than the existing 7 so I will have to work on it a bit.

3. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Kael, just wondering: is it possible to mod out the 1 upt rule for "civilian" units only, but keep it for military units? (And what tag in what xml file did you modify to break the 1 upt rule anyway?)

4. Kael

Kael Deity

Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Defines>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Name="PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT"/>
    			<Set Value="999"/>
    		</Update>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Name="MAX_CITY_HIT_POINTS"/>
    			<Set Value="10"/>
    		</Update>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Name="UNIT_MAINTENANCE_GAME_MULTIPLIER"/>
    			<Set Value="6"/>
    		</Update>
    	</Defines>
    </GameData>
    Plot Unit Limit.

And no, without source code access I don't see way to isolate it just to non-military units (though I think thats a cool idea).

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Looking at the XML i really wonder, why they did not use a DOM parser instead of this XML "rape" with a SAX parser (or someone did really not understand what he is doing).

6. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

And What Is Firaxis's Fascination With Uppercase Words For Elements And Attributes In XML? :(

7. frozenwings

frozenwings Chieftain

Thanks for looking into this, Kael. I'll be keeping an eye out for it :)

8. jfby

jfby Warlord

Theoretically we could set the unit per tile limit to a given number? I would prefer this over 1 or unlimited.

Also can this be done per terrain, or is it a general setting?

9. Kael

Kael Deity

There is no current way to have it applied by terrain or by unit type (I would take Pazyryk's suggestion and make a separate mod where non-military units were unlimited in a heartbeat if I could).

10. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

So the SDK doesn't come with the same DLL access we had for Civ 4? :confused:

11. Kael

Kael Deity

I don't have source code access. With Civ4 it was 6 months or so before source code was released. I believe (but this is just my guess) that Firaxis may want to wait until the code is reviewed and stable (meaning not going through changes) before releasing it.

12. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

That makes sense then. I came in at BTS modding. So we already had the DLL to toy with.

13. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Kael, are you using beta tools to upload these, or are you using some method which all of us have access to?

14. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

I couldn't find what is blocking the ability to raze city states and capitals, is that source code controlled?

15. Kael

Kael Deity

I am using beta tools. Hopefully they go public soon.

16. Kael

Kael Deity

From CityView.lua:

Code:
    		if (not pCity:IsOccupied() or pCity:IsRazing()) then		
    			Controls.RazeCityButton:SetHide(true);
    		else
    			if (not pPlayer:CanRaze(pCity)) then
    				if (pPlayer:CanRaze(pCity, true)) then
    					Controls.RazeCityButton:SetHide(false);
    					Controls.RazeCityButton:SetDisabled(true);
    					Controls.RazeCityButton:SetToolTipString( Locale.ConvertTextKey( "TXT_KEY_CITYVIEW_RAZE_BUTTON_DISABLED_BECAUSE_CAPITAL_TT" ) );
    				else
    					Controls.RazeCityButton:SetHide(true);
    				end
    			else
    				Controls.RazeCityButton:SetHide(false);
    				Controls.RazeCityButton:SetDisabled(false);		
    				Controls.RazeCityButton:SetToolTipString( Locale.ConvertTextKey( "TXT_KEY_CITYVIEW_RAZE_BUTTON_TT" ) );
    			end
    		end
    You would have to play with this to see if it works, but as I read it there is a source code function called CanRaze on Player objects. That function blocks the razing of capitals.

But it looks like the enforcement of that block happens in lua (where it hides the raze button). So you may be able to get away with just removing this section from Lua to allow capital razing. That assumes that when you click the action button it doesn't perform another source code check to make sure the city is valid. So it may work, but you really want source code access to change it the right way.

17. Erik_3E

Erik_3E Warlord

Yepp that whas what I meant, thanks for clarifying :)

@Kael
    Thanks for answering the question as whell. :)

Was the limit you culd reatch 22 civs or did you just try that many?

cant wait to gett my game tomorow now! :p

18. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

How well - if at all - does the AI handle the change from 1upt to multiple units per tile?

19. Kael

Kael Deity

I haven't done any large scale tests, so I dont know. It seems like the AI does okay with it in my few games, but I'm no expert. The AI sometimes has problems in the base game leading with cannons or leaving them exposed. This may actually help with those issues. But that's all theory on my part.

20. Martock

Martock Warlord

The 1UPT thing at first bugged me but I have to admit, after playing, it's grown on me. What bothers me is the range of ranged units. I hate seeing archers shooting at targets that are 2 hexes away but I know in time we'll be able to fix that.

Would it be possible to turn ranged artillery units (archers, catapults, cannons) into civilian units that have the ranged ability but can be captured (I don't think archers should have that option) or be destroyed when the defending unit on top is defeated?

Right now, with your mod, I can at least have that archer on the same hex as say, my spearman. That's great cuz i now have to protect that unit. With the 1UPT in place, that archer would need 1 unit in front of it to act as a block. In combat, that means if my 1 melee unit were destroyed, in all likelihood, that archer or catapult would be able to escape.