Leoreth Plays April Poll

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Mar 13, 2021.

?

Which civ should I play in April?

1. America

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Arabia

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Brazil

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Canada

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. China

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. England

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Inca

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Indonesia

31 vote(s)
    35.2%
  9. Rome

28 vote(s)
    31.8%
  10. Turks

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

I'm not, I still cant do most UHV's but my playstyle largely revolves alt history runs and finding strategies to survive in bad conditions and scenarios and exploiting a few non core cities to use for resources.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    freethink and YelCinist 2000 like this.
  2. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Warlord

Pick Rome or Im burning Jakarta down

Hickman888, DanLT3 and brett0007 like this.
  3. Kott

Kott Chieftain

Rome is so easy, so I will change my vote from Inca to Indonesia.
    For the next time I suggest Brazil as Inca does not seem to have a chance.

freethink likes this.
  4. char81

char81 Warlord

I’ve always found Khmer to be surprisingly easy.

5. Xfactor

Xfactor Warlord

Voted for Rome , changed from Arabia - i remember my inital vote during january was Rome, and indeed the gameplay of it , especially the early turns is very intense and good. Snowballing is pretty easy if everything goes well , but if not , you'll be S/L all the time. I've found that recent versions of the game aren't as punishing on Stability as before , since now when i play it , Byzantium rearly spawns , but before i had trouble keeping myself Solid around that period, now i can say it's quite a breeze if you decide to conquer everything, and it's a peace of cake if you set yourself up. Let's see how Leo does.

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Incas are certified impossible, why no one wants to give Leo taste of our agony ?:mischief:

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  7. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Everyone wants me to taste agony, it's just a question of flavour

8. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Warlord

That's what he and/or she said?

9. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Warlord

I like mine in Beige

10. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Warlord

Are the China votes like the Reform Party of Ross Perot? The party where they get a significant amount of votes but still is not able to win in any elections

freethink and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  11. Leoreth

We can include Persia in the next poll

12. Leoreth

Voting will probably conclude soon, and it looks still open to swing the result if you want.

YelCinist 2000 likes this.
  13. Leoreth

Bug fixes should close soon. Final chance to vote today.

YelCinist 2000 likes this.
  14. freethink

freethink Prince

This should be the DOC quote of the year!

YelCinist 2000 and 1SDAN like this.
  15. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

Put CIV Canada as an option in the next one as well. I think it will be an interesting challenge because of the auto-play mechanism, usually civs like USA / england progress a lot in the tech tree and that makes playing with later civs more difficult.

16. Leoreth

Dawn of the final day

(things took me a bit longer than anticipated)

17. Leoreth

Screenshot_2021-04-27 Leoreth Plays April Poll.png Civ4ScreenShot0269.JPG

It begins

18. Leoreth

Okay, I think this round of voting has accomplished what it set out to do, demonstrating that Indonesia is broken.

I played it a couple of times and I don't think it's possible to win the first goal as it stands right now without doing some crazy things. Even with China collapsed the best I could do is rank second place behind Japan, at quite the distance. And Japan is unlikely to collapse before the deadline.

The second goal is not that problematic in this context, but with the problems of the first goal already in place I don't think it makes a lot of sense to push all the way to the third goal here.

To be honest, none if this really is news to me. I know that Indonesia has problems. Honestly for that reason I kind of wished that a different civ had won, because I have no idea how to proceed from here. I don't think it makes sense to soldier on when there are clear problems already, however, I also don't think it makes sense to address them right now. I haven't talked about it much, but I wanted to come back to Indonesia first thing once the new map is implemented, before touching any other civilizations. It just makes a lot more sense with the expanded space in that region, which is much better suitable for varied play on that map. Most likely, this will also involve a split into a Malay and a Javanese civ with differently themed goals. Considering that these changes are going to take place under those better suited conditions I don't think it makes sense to sink more time into it.

I was wondering if I should still address some more glaring issues, i.e. their starting situation, access to Hinduism, replacing the UHV goals with easy to implement alternatives that work better, but I think my time is better used elsewhere.

Which is a pretty underwhelming outcome because it means you won't get either the usual let's play from me nor any iterative changes. I don't want to use this as a way to weasel my way out of this month's game but I don't know any better course of action. I shortly considered doing a Rome session instead (as they are the runner up) but that felt too much like ignoring the result and those who voted for it.

Instead, I will let it stay like this and follow up with the May session sooner than intended (it's also May soon already anyway). The poll will launch soon, and in the meantime I will try to make progress or even finish the victory code refactoring.

19. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Warlord

20. Hickman888

Hickman888 Warlord

If you think your time is better spent on other projects, I understand, but I want to encourage you to not drop Indonesia just yet! Settling your capitol on the stone of Java, while adopting Redistribution, may not be the historically accurate solution, but it should allow you to coast through UHV 1 fairly easily. Maybe Despotism in the beginning, to whip out some needed infrastructure. I also have a feeling that UHV 2 was intended to be taken as "Convert to Islam, and trade with the Muslim powers to access luxury resources", but I think most players (including me), just settle several colonies to access their resources, and I'd be interested in seeing how you tackle the challenge. And the 3rd UHV is pretty easy, heck, maybe it could be made to be a bit harder. I just think there's at least a few insights you can gain from an Indonesia game. (Stronger tech diffusion for 3rd world civilizations, post Industrial era, to help Indonesia make it to Microbiology before the 3rd deadline...:mischief:)

For the record, I voted for Rome, but I just hate to see you leave Indonesia so quickly. But again, if you have more plans in the future for Indonesia, and need your time spent doing other things, that's understandable.

h0spitall3rz and 1SDAN like this.