Lets talk about Tom MacDonald...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows, what valk takes away is up to her. Apparently she has very strong feelings that this rap stuff she doesn't listen to is hate speech.

I mean, let's meta out the conversation. She asks me, specifically, what I mean by a lingo use. I reply with the intended specific use. Somebody else types a "generally accepted" use, differing in tone from the specific use*. Naturally, we jump straight on that in order to take high offense. This is exactly the sort of person in the sort of thread you want to have telling you what music is actually violence that should be prohibited. Okidoki.

*Gee, haven't seen that over and over and over again for 10 years or anything, right?

Last edited:
Is this a gun thread? a hate speech thread? A trash US constitution thread? All current popular choices on CFCOT

Marketing thread.

Oy mate, bloody hell that's a nuclear take

Edit. We need some cancel'in

This thread is trolling... and cancel culture... inevitably encouraging both.

I recommend closure... I mean cancel culturing it.

@Valka D'Ur - FWIW I'm 100% certain that @Farm Boy was not directing the term "ratchet" at you.

EDIT:I'll PM the rest

Last edited:
You don't seem too upset about Joe McCathy getting "cancelled." Joe McCarthy was a fascist just like this guy. I don't see how rehabilitating offenders criminalizes free speech or kills the free market. None of those things are related and besides the free market is overrated anyway. In a country like America he's free to go be a racist elsewhere. Fortunately when it comes to so-called "free speech" there's more moderate countries like Canada where you can't just spew any garbage you want. For example, if you mis-gender someone in Canada, or want to be an jerk and refuse to use their preferred pronouns it's considered a criminal offense. Trans people are offered the same rights and protections as any other minority group.
Legally they are. There is a list of people who can't be discriminated against, yet it happens all the time if loopholes are found. For instance, I was told last year that the company that owns the building I live in will now not rent to people who are on the same disability benefit I'm on. So if I ever move elsewhere and want to return, they will give me a fake smile and say no, for whatever fake reason they've come up with.

This is obviously discrimination, and I could file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission (provincial agency). But it would take time and lawyer's fees, and in the meantime I have to live somewhere... so moving isn't an option.

I used to think abolishing the first amendment was a radical idea until I found out there's many much more moderate and civilized countries like Canada that have laws concerning what is and isn't allowable speech. Really it's not the idea of abolishing the first amendment that's radical, it's the first amendment that's radical. It allows racist gutter scum to perpetuate and reap the benefits of the systemic inequality that's been in place since America's founding and if they want to spew their bile, "it's jus free speech bro."
When the hate laws came in, some people screamed about "freedom of speech." There are some people here who watch a lot of American TV and get the idea that American laws and concepts apply here (some Americans think their own laws apply in Canada, which is why some of them get very angry when told they can't bring their guns across the border; while gun ownership is something people can get licenses to do, it's not a right enshrined in our constitution or Charter).

The most notorious case of someone being charged with a hate crime that I tend to think of is Jim Keegstra, a social studies teacher in my province who indoctrinated his students in Holocaust denial and anti-semitism. He told those kids horrendous lies, forced them to parrot all this back in their essays, and basically messed up years' worth of kids. Some of them rejected his beliefs but had to regurgitate them in their assignments or risk failing (this was high school, so there was a diploma on the line). Some weren't sure, didn't care, so they did the assignments. Some bought into it and at the trial they said of course they believed their old teacher. Kids who later changed their minds and felt betrayed by their teacher were really messed up, horrified at what they had been taught, and that they'd believed it to be true.

Keegstra deserved prison, in my view, and got a slap on the wrist. He was fined and stripped of his teaching license. He went back to being a mechanic, tried politics, and my grandfather (also someone who hated Jews and tried to convert me to those beliefs; I shut him down and said that whatever he believed, I did not want to hear it) said he would vote for him. One of the people I worked with in the theatre was a Keegstra supporter, and the producer and director told him to shut up about the trial - don't talk about it, and don't refer to it in other ways. He slipped up once or twice, but for the most part did keep quiet during the run of the show we were doing (he was part of the main cast).

Politics didn't work out; Keegstra underestimated his popularity, and years later, he died. Only his family misses him now and whoever sided with him. The rest of us sighed in relief and said 'good riddance.'

There are other cases, of course. A FN chief was stripped of his Order of Canada for anti-semitism (comments made in public; if he'd said them in the privacy of his own home, no crime would have occurred). A woman in Banff made a hate video, claiming the Holocaust never happened and that everything she'd been taught in Canadian schools about it was a lie because her mother said they were lies. This woman and her brother were arrested in Germany for hate crimes; I don't remember what happened to the brother, but she was eventually released for "time served." Not sure if she went back to Banff, but if so, I don't imagine she was very popular (she taught music). I saw that video, reported it multiple times to YouTube as hate speech, and it took a long time for someone there to finally take it down.

And then we get to the FN cases... I honestly don't understand why certain people in government have not been charged with hate crimes (this pertains to the residential school system). The Premier of Alberta might regret lifting some of the covid restrictions this summer. There are people who are very much looking forward to being able to protest in public again (up to now they've been doing it either online or leaving chalked messages in front of the Education Minister's office since she refuses to answer phone calls, emails, or snail mails and won't engage with anyone on social media).

This thread is trolling... and cancel culture... inevitably encouraging both.

I recommend closure... I mean cancel culturing it.

@Valka D'Ur - FWIW I'm 100% certain that @Farm Boy was not directing the term "ratchet" at you.

EDIT:I'll PM the rest
Okay. Am reading the PM now.

Moderator Action: There seems to be some division on whether this thread should be closed or not. From my position, and likely from the country I live in, Tom MacDonald's videos would be considered hate speech. That's one of the reasons that the videos were removed. I have no problem with closing the thread, however: a discussion of hate and hate speech helps to diffuse and negate it to a certain degree. That being said, for those who object, please report the thread and the moderation team will discuss closing it if necessary. In the meantime, please be civil, and try to have a productive discussion. Thank you.

I took your advice and last night I went through and reported all of his videos for hate speech. The unfortunate thing about YouTube is you can't report a video without watching it and giving him more views. It's chilling that some of his videos have over 10 million views.

Congratulations on the promotion to hall monitor.

Lol, that's where we are.

Beautiful thread Tom. Sublime.

Legally they are. There is a list of people who can't be discriminated against, yet it happens all the time if loopholes are found. For instance, I was told last year that the company that owns the building I live in will now not rent to people who are on the same disability benefit I'm on. So if I ever move elsewhere and want to return, they will give me a fake smile and say no, for whatever fake reason they've come up with.

This is obviously discrimination, and I could file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission (provincial agency). But it would take time and lawyer's fees, and in the meantime I have to live somewhere... so moving isn't an option.

Oh trust me, I know the Canadian laws are far from perfect, but they're an important step in the right direction. Personally I think it needs more teeth too, but nonetheless it's progress.

When the hate laws came in, some people screamed about "freedom of speech." There are some people here who watch a lot of American TV and get the idea that American laws and concepts apply here (some Americans think their own laws apply in Canada, which is why some of them get very angry when told they can't bring their guns across the border; while gun ownership is something people can get licenses to do, it's not a right enshrined in our constitution or Charter).

"I have a right to offend minorities and behave like a jerk. I can say whatever I want"

Um no, actually you can't lol and other countries have similar laws too. People don't like the speed limit, but it’s necessary. It's there for a reason, to create a safe space on the road for everyone and when people break the speed limit we have the police deal with them. These things are in place for the benefit of everyone.

The most notorious case of someone being charged with a hate crime that I tend to think of is Jim Keegstra, a social studies teacher in my province who indoctrinated his students in Holocaust denial and anti-semitism. He told those kids horrendous lies, forced them to parrot all this back in their essays, and basically messed up years' worth of kids.

And on the internet things like this are an even bigger problem and it's exactly why we have and need verified and trusted sources of information. Right now the internet is like the Wild West, so unless something verified by Microsoft NewsGuard or a credible fact-checker like Snopes, I know not to pay it any attention. There's far to many far-right hate sites out there. Nobody should have to wade threw the sewers of the internet on a daily basis. Of course this causes righties to cry about "cancel culture," but this stuff is just so toxic and thankfully as of late a concentrated effort has started to be made to remove a lot of this hateful content from the internet. The only downside is we're still relying on big tech and well, just look at YouTube. They have no problem not only hosting Tom MacDonald's content, they actually pay him for uploading it!

Keegstra deserved prison, in my view, and got a slap on the wrist. He was fined and stripped of his teaching license.

Politics didn't work out; Keegstra underestimated his popularity, and years later, he died. Only his family misses him now and whoever sided with him. The rest of us sighed in relief and said 'good riddance.'

There are other cases, of course. A FN chief was stripped of his Order of Canada for anti-semitism (comments made in public; if he'd said them in the privacy of his own home, no crime would have occurred). A woman in Banff made a hate video, claiming the Holocaust never happened and that everything she'd been taught in Canadian schools about it was a lie because her mother said they were lies. This woman and her brother were arrested in Germany for hate crimes

Yeah, I don't know who all these people are who got "cancelled" that we wish we had back. All that happens is as a society we've become more sensitive about how we talk. Isn't that what everyone wants? Besides there is no such thing as "cancel culture" to begin with. There's legitimate sources of information and there's illegitimate sources. There's hate speech and there's acceptable speech.

And then we get to the FN cases... I honestly don't understand why certain people in government have not been charged with hate crimes (this pertains to the residential school system). The Premier of Alberta might regret lifting some of the covid restrictions this summer. There are people who are very much looking forward to being able to protest in public again (up to now they've been doing it either online or leaving chalked messages in front of the Education Minister's office since she refuses to answer phone calls, emails, or snail mails and won't engage with anyone on social media).

There's plenty that should be tried and convicted south of the border too. Starting with Trump and slowly working the way down through the entire Republican party. If you have no problem flaunting your support for a racist bigot or endorsing the violence with your silence you're at minimal going to need some serious re-education.

Oh trust me, I know the Canadian laws are far from perfect, but they're an important step in the right direction. Personally I think it needs more teeth too, but nonetheless it's progress.

"I have a right to offend minorities and behave like a jerk. I can say whatever I want"

Um no, actually you can't lol and other countries have similar laws too. People don't like the speed limit, but it’s necessary. It's there for a reason, to create a safe space on the road for everyone and when people break the speed limit we have the police deal with them. These things are in place for the benefit of everyone.

And on the internet things like this are an even bigger problem and it's exactly why we have and need verified and trusted sources of information. Right now the internet is like the Wild West, so unless something verified by Microsoft NewsGuard or a credible fact-checker like Snopes, I know not to pay it any attention. There's far to many far-right hate sites out there. Nobody should have to wade threw the sewers of the internet of a daily basis. Of course this causes righties to cry about "cancel culture," but this stuff is just so toxic and thankfully as of late a concentrated effort has started to be made to remove a lot of this hateful content from the internet. The only downside is we're still relying on big tech and well, just look at YouTube. They have no problem not only hosting Tom MacDonald's content, they actually pay him for uploading it!
Keegstra's trial happened in the mid-'80s, in my city (he taught at a school in a town in Central Alberta). So at that time there was no such thing as social media. If you wanted to post a public comment about something, you wrote a physical letter to the editor, who might or might not publish it in a physical newspaper.

But Keegstra had a captive audience in his students, who needed those social studies credits to graduate from high school. Unfortunately they didn't have the fact-checking resources we have now.

I do kind of hope that RED.RED is not as serious about his crusade as he is suggesting.

All that happens is as a society we've become more sensitive about how we talk. Isn't that what everyone wants?
Not everyone has the same appreciation for sterile and dead silence.

Hey now, all this harmony isn't free.

I do kind of hope that RED.RED is not as serious about his crusade as he is suggesting.

You're gonna have to elaborate on that one because I don't recall suggesting a "crusade," but I have noticed a significant rise in violent speech directed at women, minorities, and the LGBTQ+ community that's being encouraged by people like Tom MacDonald and if you want the honest truth about it all, really this all started with Donald Trump. I know that's not something we're suppose to mention anymore because "that's divisive" and we need to ride fences and be "radical centrists" (whatever that is) to keep literal fascists out of office. "Don't be a snowflake" by pointing out that he opened the gate and green-lighted all of this from day 1 when he said Mexico was a country of rapists.

Not everyone has the same appreciation for sterile and dead silence.

If yelling racial epithets at minorities is what you need to keep your conversations spicey you're in the wrong place. Perhaps you should seek out the comment section of Breitbarf or head down to that sewer they call *****.

Moderator Action: What did I say? I said be civil. That includes not calling each other names. The thread will pause temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom