LINESII- Into the Darkness- Part II

A considerable part left for you to discover, perhaps.....

And Iggy should be able to clarify some things about this when he posts in a few hours.

Theirs no way you can maintain a spy network over the entire world for centuries.
When your spies masquerding as priests (or whatever) die its not as if you get first dibs on replacing them.

OOC: Well, I hope JD realizes that won't work. World spanning governments never do, and unless he has lazers, nothing can come of this, because his tech won't be enough to back it up. And even if he's infiltrated most of the world through his spy network, there's still a considerable part left to even be discovered...

lurker's comment: Whatever, it would make for a fun new world domination campaign. This NES needed some new far-reaching aggressors after the Ascendancy was crushed, and the Citadel will possess a few trully unique advantages here.

OOC: JD. You were founded in 910. It is 1730. That's 820 years. You were founded around the time of the beginning of the Iron age. Even assuming TRIPLE our own world's progress, you could have a maximum tech level of the 15th century. That's still swords, you know.

If Iggy is allowing you to be a pseudo-Zionist conspiracy that has infiltrated the entire world and has the potential to destroy all nations in the world, then this would be the most ridiculous thing to have ever occurred in NESing, and would essentially render the entire point of this NES null and void, because reality would be thrown out the window. It would be more sensible to allow a fleet of sentient penguins to bombard and destroy the planet then to allow that kind of thing to happen.

It's just not realistic in the least, and if something even vaguely resembling it is true, then I would NEVER join another LINES, and I would hope no one else could. Realistically, you might have infiltrated most of Tellus and Azulia, but not to the level of being able to cripple them, let alone rule them. The rest of the world would simply be infeasible.

OOC: JD. You were founded in 910. It is 1730. That's 820 years. You were founded around the time of the beginning of the Iron age. Even assuming TRIPLE our own world's progress, you could have a maximum tech level of the 15th century. That's still swords, you know.

If Iggy is allowing you to be a pseudo-Zionist conspiracy that has infiltrated the entire world and has the potential to destroy all nations in the world, then this would be the most ridiculous thing to have ever occurred in NESing, and would essentially render the entire point of this NES null and void, because reality would be thrown out the window. It would be more sensible to allow a fleet of sentient penguins to bombard and destroy the planet then to allow that kind of thing to happen.

It's just not realistic in the least, and if something even vaguely resembling it is true, then I would NEVER join another LINES, and I would hope no one else could. Realistically, you might have infiltrated most of Tellus and Azulia, but not to the level of being able to cripple them, let alone rule them. The rest of the world would simply be infeasible.

This reminds when Azale closed his nes at apolyton because he had let Erez develop robots while playing as a Corporation and he was about to unleash them in a few turns.
But he realised that would completely alter the course of the nes and well most likely destroy it while annoying everyone.

To: Valin Republic

We are willing to pay a reperation cost.

OOC. NK. Take this. Assume its potential was realized, given that society was different. Add a few hundred years. Extrapolate.

by the way Iggy what happened to all of my swordsmen?

OOC. NK. Take this. Assume its potential was realized, given that society was different. Add a few hundred years. Extrapolate.

Your a living example of North Kings pet peeve.

My pet peeve is the general hyper-advancing of technology and ideas in general. I mean, honestly, why do people NEVER rest until they get into the Iron Age? There were dozens of huge empires that existed in the Bronze Age; Iron isn't even that much better than Bronze, anyway, just cheaper. Bronze Age empires, for all of their faults, are fascinating. Then we have the rush to gunpowder, and the rush to find every other continent in the bloody world. Seriously, folks, why must you find more and more and more land? Why not develop what you have? Sending out massive resources to visit far off lands isn't feasible, usually...

hmm, well, your at the beginning of the Pre-industrial age then. there have been no mention of a massive incress in Citadel Population, or even hints of your techs. anything as significant as a bonified industrial revolution would have noticed.
that being said, anything short of that, including the foundation of the industrial revolution but it not happening yet, well, nice for you. you still can't do it, but your going to give everyone a heck of a run and bootstrap everyone else up one level.

OOC: LOLZ. Damnit. I blame the Oneists. The next people i was going to conquer was the Citadel because they had lands i wanted. But NOOOO you guys HAD to fight back and not be genocided peacefully. Thanks for condemning the world to death.

And Jala, how do the Bladeists fit into your new pacifist world order?

I for one like the concept, it;ll be interesting for the next 4-5 turns. Though if he found land south of Guarela i'll be mad. I must have sent like 2-3 expeditions down that way in Biguns.

Are my ships still bigger than his *crosses fingers*

That is stupid. Jal, I am well educated on ancient technology, but that was one of the least promising. Hero's steam engine was utterly useless and inefficient: you would need the thousands of years of advances that came after it to make it of any use: there is a REASON that steam was not utilized until the 1800s; people do not leave a technology lying around if it is useful.

And if you don't want to take my word for it, here, I'll give the facts and figures.

This device had an efficiency of about 1%, most likely, due to the inherent problems in its design.

So if you were to make a large scale model, and get from it only .1 horsepower, the work that a single man can do, it's fuel consumption would have to be 25,000 BTU per HOUR. Charcoal, the best fuel there was in the ancient world, would be 12,000 BTU per pound. This would have taken far too much work to even get the levels necessary to fuel the monster... For the work of one man.

Now, if you took a piston steam engine, yes, you could get something crudely approximating the idea of a modern steam engine, but to do this, you need several technological geniuses in a row, multiple Heros of Alexandria, plus no accidents, no discouragement, and a tremendous amount of good luck.

The machining and other problems with this means it is absurd to suppose that the technology could even be developed, let alone mass produced. Even more so, the idea that you've been able to keep it a secret when you have Citadelers wandering all around the world is just plain stupid.

Furthermore, steam engines in and of themselves are not even that important: only for sea transport and pumping did they really make a dent initially, even when all the elements needed for their design actually WERE around. Far more important were waterwheels and other forms of power, and if you think you have a monopoly on that, then you are delusional.

You might have gunpowder weaponry, but the idea that you've managed to keep THAT a secret is also absurd, and furthermore completely farcical, because we haven't even seen a single story about Citadelers wandering around in the pursuit of alchemy.

Chemistry, machining, power systems, and thought take millennia to advance for a reason; they DO NOT come overnight. Yes, the advances seem obvious to you, because you live in the bloody modern world.

I made the mistake once of letting a Rome develop gunpowder... But even I, in my newbieness of the time, even I, impressionable, young, and idealistic as I was, didn't let them keep that secret.

What makes you think that further research took place at the Citadel itself, or that all scholars knew about it?

Anyway, I strongly encourage that you wait until Iggy posts. You don't know the full situation.

What makes you think that further research took place at the Citadel itself, or that all scholars knew about it?

If you've kept it known only to one or two people, then it's effectively useless, because you'll need to equip, and in that time people can spy on you. You aren't invincible.

Thanks, by the way, for completely ignoring the fact that it's absurd to let anyone even GET the technology.

Anyway, I strongly encourage that you wait until Iggy posts. You don't know the full situation.

No, I don't. What I do know is that if even half of this bull is true, then I would call this NES a farce, and leave.

North King you're like my hero at this moment.

I think this is a plot by iggy to make people quit in disgust so updates are faster.

I must agree with North King on this one. Of course more infromation would be needed for final judgement, but if it turns out unrealistically...

:(

I must agree with North King on this one. Of course more infromation would be needed for final judgement, but if it turns out unrealistically...

:(

I must agree. If my last NES is to end in such a farce, I will be most disappointed.

Maybe the Citadelers were all poisoned because their drinking water was contaminated, so they have dreams of world domination and advanced tech and whatnot. >:O

As in, they only think they can take over the world, but when they try to do so, everybody crushes them and their supposedly technologically super advanced weapons.

It could happen!

More seriously, I'd side with North King, but there is the matter of Iggy going around to make some IC posts. So I'll wait and see.

I'll stay out of blind loyalty. Though that hasn't really served me well in the last couple turns *glares at Khemri*

Top Bottom