List of Mac-compatible MODs

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have been trying to figure out if a mod exists to make mountains passable and possibly let them make shields ect. Does anyone know of one? I tried to figure it out myself and quickly found it would not be easy. I searched and found some for the pc version but nothing that says it works for mac.

This modcomp has some Python code that can be used to make mountain tiles generate yield. I think it's a passive bonus to a city rather than a properly worked tile though. Perhaps you could adapt it to your needs?

Unfortunately, to make mountains passable or workable like other tiles requires DLL changes, meaning it is impossible on Mac as the Mac version of BTS does not support these.

Unfortunately, to make mountains passable or workable like other tiles requires DLL changes, meaning it is impossible on Mac as the Mac version of BTS does not support these.

Actually, at this point I am only working with the original. I believe vinilla is the term. But I assume it is more limited than BTS. Anyway, if the current mountain tiles can't be made passable or workable, is it possible to add another terrain type and just use the graphics of the mountains?

How do you get the latest version of civ gold (5.2) running on mac?
When I download the file I get the exe extension, I then followed the instructions and expanded the file using Ez7z and get an error telling me "Error: Can not open file as archive"

Can someone help me? What am I doing wrong... BTW, I got it to work pre version 4.0

If they have changed it into a .exe for version 5 then it likely that you can't just expand it. You need a way to extract the mod from the Windows installer. I have a Windows installation in Parallels that I use. I'll download version 5 and have a look.

Please can we limit this discussion to one thread? I'm responding in the Civ Gold for Mac Users thread.

I'm pretty new to this yet so if what I'm looking for has already been posted, I apologize.

I'm trying to get Rise of Mankind to run in BtS on my MacBook but I get a flood of XML errors at loading and then no interface at all once I get a game going. Is there a way to make this work?

I'm pretty new to this yet so if what I'm looking for has already been posted, I apologize.

I'm trying to get Rise of Mankind to run in BtS on my MacBook but I get a flood of XML errors at loading and then no interface at all once I get a game going. Is there a way to make this work?

I believe some people have managed to get a very early version of RoM working (1.03?). Recent versions of RoM are impossible to run on Mac, for reasons described throughout this forum.

EDIT: Found the relevant post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10707090&postcount=109

I downloaded and expanded the only link I can see that works for ROM 1.03. I'm not convinced this will work fully on a Mac, as it contains a CvGameCoreDLL.dll file. However, I was able to get it to start a game.

Yes, there were tons of XML errors. My standard trick for dealing with these is already documented elsewhere around here, but here it is again!

1. The problem is invalid characters in XML text files. They work in Windows, but fail on the Mac. And I can't recall a mod created for Windows that hasn't had this sort of problem.

2. The solution I use is BBEdit's "Zap Gremlins" facility, and for a mod like RoM with over 200 files, about 190 of which needed fixes, the BBEdit Text Factory is highly recommended in order to maintain your sanity.

3. I set the Text Factory up to apply "Zap Gremlins" to all XML files in the mod directory and save the changed files. I then hit the Go button and a few tens of seconds later the job was done. I was then able to launch RoM and start a game.

You can download a fully working trial copy of BBEdit, and that should last long enough to enable you to fix RoM.

BBEdit has a free baby brother called Text Wrangler, but it doesn't have the Text Factory option. There may be other text editors with these capabilities, but as I have been using BBEdit for more years than I care to count, I haven't looked anywhere else.

So with the "Zap Gremlins" options, do I just go with the default settings on that or is there something specific I need to do with it?

The default settings are OK, but make sure you delete the gremlins or replace them with something safe, like Space or Underscore or Asterisk characters. Asterisks would be good if you *really* want to trawl through all the changes and try to work out what characters ought to be there. I've tried Bullet characters in the past, but they didn't work, as they were seen by Civ4 as another gremlin.

Well neither 1.03 or 2.92 will work. I managed to clear up the XML errors but once I start a game I have no interface, buttons, etc. I just have a map with a couple of units and nothing to do with them...

I can't comment on version 2.92 since it was declared to be incompatible by Xyth, and I'm sure he's correct. I assume it relies on the DLL, which will not run in the Mac version.

There is something else wrong with your installation of version 1.03, because my copy started with no problems once I had zapped the gremlins. Please note that I installed the mod in the following location:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/MODS/Rise of Mankind1.03. I haven't tried running it from the Mods folder in the /Applications/Civilization IV/ path.

If there is no interface this is generally a sign that the Python scripts have failed to load. You can get some info on this by editing your /Users/<username>/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini file TextEdit or BBEdit or whatever. Find the lines:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

and change the zero to a one:

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

Then start up BtS and load the mod. When you get to the No Interface state, or after you have quit the game, open the following log file and copy and paste its contents here.

/Users/<username>/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log

Is there a way to make the dynamic civ names available for mac? I am wondering if someone could please do this. I know it is a small DLL but it's not compatible yet. It is a great addition to the game, and I would really enjoy playing with it.

If it's only capable of being done with a DLL, it doesn't matter how small it is - it can't be compiled for the Mac version.

What is it, and where can I find it to check?

Is there a way to make the dynamic civ names available for mac? I am wondering if someone could please do this. I know it is a small DLL but it's not compatible yet. It is a great addition to the game, and I would really enjoy playing with it.

It would need to be completely rewritten in Python, assuming such a feature is even possible in Python. Given that the DLL in that mod is used specifically to expose new functionality to Python, the odds are high that it isn't.

Custom DLLs, no matter how minor the changes are, can not be made to work on Mac BTS. It simply ignores them.

If it's only capable of being done with a DLL, it doesn't matter how small it is - it can't be compiled for the Mac version.

What is it, and where can I find it to check?

Alan, the Dynamic Civ Names mod is part of "revolution mod." What it does is it gives a name to a civ according to it's size, civics, or religion.

For example, if america has only washington as city, it displays the civ name as "the american city state." While if France is running state property it will display the civ name as "the people's republic of France." I think religion applies specially for Islamic countries making them caliphates or something like that.

Xyth, I know that it is a long shot, but It doesn't hurt to ask :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link.

The description of the mod says that the logic that works out the name changes is in Python code. The bad news is that it explicitly states that the DLL is required in order to make the modified names "stick" to the Civs. So unless there's an alternative way to glue the Civ names using Python alone, it can't be done on the Mac version.

Hi! I just got my new MBP and downloaded Pie's Ancient Europe. Looks so great! But the game just starts crashing after a while. No excuse or crash log given. I have BTS 3.19. Does anybody else have the same problem? Or even better: a solution?

And oh: I'm running on 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 Gt 1333 MHz:n DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

Top Bottom