1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Mac-compatible MODs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Skippy_Kangaroo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

Changing the number of civs requires a DLL change. There are only two mods available for Mac that have modified DLLs*: Road to War and Rhye's and Fall, both bundled with BTS. Both of these feature more than 18 civs, but neither supports random games.

*On the Mac, this is actually a separate copy of the application file.

2. senormanne

senormanne Chieftain

Hi

Any chance of getting this working on a Mac? http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7790 (Giant Earth Map). Crashes for me while loading file RevolutionText_CIV4GameText.xml.
    Or could someone recommend me some other earth-map which would work on mac? It would be nice if it would have "real" starting positions of each civ, the map that came with the game didn't have.

Thank you in advance.

3. Welnic

Welnic Chieftain

That Giant Earth Map uses a custom CvGameCoreDLL.dll file so it can run more than 18 civs, so it will not work in OSX.

4. Skidizzle

Skidizzle Gameshow Host

Yes, I ran into that same problem. But is there ANY way around this? Is it possible to code our way around this without .dll??

5. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Chieftain

Senormanne, try The_J's startingpoints mod, in the scenarios section.

6. Patrick71421

Patrick71421 Chieftain

is there a fantasy mod for Civ 4
    Thanks

7. tokyochojin

tokyochojin Chieftain

8. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi. What have you tried so far?

I've downloaded it and confirmed that it doesn't have a custom DLL. I had to put it in the /Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/ folder to get it to load. It then threw an XML error in the file:

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/North and South Korea/Assets/Modules/Custom Civilizations/Koreas/Text/North_And_South_Korea_CIV4GameText.xml.

I zapped gremlins in this file - several smart quotes, em-dashes and other odd characters, and it then loaded OK, and I was able to start a game with North Korea.

9. tokyochojin

tokyochojin Chieftain

Well I copied the folder into my Mods folder and edited the configuration file but yeah, I get the gametext error. What do you mean by "smart quotes...em-dashes...odd characters"? Sorry, I'm not exactly the best with computers.

10. AlanH

Open the file I specified using Text Wrangler (free on the new app store). Select the Text->Zap Gremlins menu option. Check all the boxes on the left, and tell it to Delete zapped characters. Save the changed file. Relaunch the mod.

11. tokyochojin

tokyochojin Chieftain

Downloaded the program and zapped the files but still getting a xml error...? Anymore advice...:(

12. AlanH

There was only one file to zap, so I'm not sure about your use of the plural ...

What file is specified in the current XML error? If it's still the same file then zapping it hasn't worked properly.

13. tokyochojin

tokyochojin Chieftain

The error message I am getting is "Failed loading XML file modules/custom civilizations? koreas text/north_and_southciv4gametext.xml

Not sure if it's exactly the same as the one before. How do you know if textwrangler actually edits anything as there doesn't seem to be any notification.

14. AlanH

Yes, that's the same file, so you haven't fixed it. (I assume there isn't really a question mark in the path, and there are a couple more underscore characters?)

When Text Wrangler zaps gremlins it puts a black dot next to the file name. Saving the file then clears the dot.

15. tokyochojin

tokyochojin Chieftain

Redownloaded the file, zapped it, and now it seems to work! Only thing is Kim Jong Ill appears as just a pair of floating glasses now, although I'll live with that. Thanks for your help!

16. AlanH

Have you switched off anti-aliasing in the graphics options in-game? That's the usual reason for problems with leaderhead images.

17. DolusMilan

DolusMilan Chieftain

MacCivfanatics,

Is there anyone among you who has an idea how to load a mod for Civ. Colonization for Mac? If there are any Mac-compatible..?

I've been asking this around on the forum, but can't seem to get an answer..:sad:

Thanks!

18. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Have you even found any Colonization mods at all? I have never seen any mentioned here nor in the General Discussion area. There is a Colonization forum. Have you asked there?

19. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

There are several, the major one being Age of Discovery. It uses DLL changes though, thus ruling it out for the Mac. Despite loving the original Colonization I never bought Civ4: Colonization because my own mod keeps me busy enough. So I can't really help much I'm afraid other than suggesting you check each mod you're interested in to see whether it uses a custom DLL or not.

20. cen

cen Chieftain

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have been trying to figure out if a mod exists to make mountains passable and possibly let them make shields ect. Does anyone know of one? I tried to figure it out myself and quickly found it would not be easy. I searched and found some for the pc version but nothing that says it works for mac.