List of Mac-compatible MODs

I have a set of modded files that fix BUG version 4.1 to work on the Mac version 3.19 BtS.

The next BUG seems to be taking a while to escape from captivity, so I'll ask the BUG team whether I can publish them.

This is good news indeed. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to get BAT going as well, I had a quick go at it last night and it was really only the BUG parts of it that were causing most of the issues, as far as I can tell.

I also had a go at Varietas Delectat alone and with the exception of some text/tag errors seemed to get it working fine, though I have not played a long game with it, mostly just messed about in world builder.

I've not played or modded since Civ3 really (BTS release lured me back) so it's being quite the (re)learning curve both playing and tinkering with mods. Enjoying it though and hopefully will have more time soon to spend on both.

One question I have is about Custom Assets. Is this only for replacement of existing files/art (ala Blue Marble) or is it possible to add additional files/art there too (i.e if I wanted an extra civ or even VD to run all the time)?

CustomAssets is not just for file replacements. You should be able to place any modified Assets in CustomAssets, as long as that are basically compatible with the Mac version (no dependency on a custom CvGameCOreDLL.dll file, gremlins zapped etc). It will then install automatically every time you launch Civ4. You can, of course, achieve a similar affect with any mod just by editing the CivilizationIV.ini file to auto-load it.

BUG is designed to run in CustomAssets, for example, and can coexist with a lot of other stuff - BAT and BlueMarble both work with it. However, I'm not sure all mods are built to work this way, and I don't think a mod's .ini file is handled in CustomAssets, as it has to live outside Assets.

The changes I made and submitted for BUG were tested in both Mod folder and CustomAssets modes. The BUG team are threatening to release version 4.1 with those changes very soon, so I will hold off producing an independent release. That might only cause confusion.

I also had a go at Varietas Delectat alone and with the exception of some text/tag errors seemed to get it working fine, though I have not played a long game with it, mostly just messed about in world builder.

This is interesting, as I loved playing VD when I was running BtS in BootCamp. I'd love to be able to apply it to the Mac version. Can you tell me what I would have to do to manage this? Bear in mind I understand nothing about modding, and rely on other kind souls to do the work for me. ;)

(Actually, I never paid much attention to BUG and BAT before, but they look as if they might be interesting to try. I know BAT includes VD.)

This is interesting, as I loved playing VD when I was running BtS in BootCamp. I'd love to be able to apply it to the Mac version. Can you tell me what I would have to do to manage this? Bear in mind I understand nothing about modding, and rely on other kind souls to do the work for me. ;)

(Actually, I never paid much attention to BUG and BAT before, but they look as if they might be interesting to try. I know BAT includes VD.)

Sure thing. I didn't keep the downloaded .exe so I'm doing this from memory and haven't retested it. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything I did ><

1) Download VD7.5 (version I used) and open it with The Unarchiver (link in my previous thread). If it asks you to choose a text encoding just select the highlighted option which from memory was Windows Latin 1 or something similar.

2) You should get a folder, probably with some crazy name. Browse through this until you find a folder called Mods (3-4 levels in I think). Inside this should be a folder called Varietas Delectat. Move this folder to /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods

3) Start up Civ, load the mod, just click OK on the two XML errors and you should hopefully be good to go.

There will be text display errors when you play, but all of these seem to be related to the Modern Era Extension that is included. When I get some more time I will have a go at fixing these or maybe just remove the MEE entirely. If I'm successful I'll try package it and host it somewhere for people.

Turns out all the XML errors were coming from a single file. I've attached a fixed version, though I have only tested it in English. It needs to replace the file of the same name in Mods/Varietas Delectat/Assets/XML/Text/

Note that this fixes the Modern Era Expansion as well. I hope to be able to get a version working that excludes this before too long. Mostly I just need to figure out which files belong to it as not all of them are conveniently named.

Attachments

• VDMacFix.zip
    38.2 KB · Views: 172
Thanks a lot for these infos Xyth :)
Going to try it and will report too :)

I used to play a mod I made ( ethnic flavours for units with all Danrell units and more + cities + Native Civilization + Eden project ) on Warlords and never got one problem.

If someone is interested in, I'll find a home for the files. Its name : Ethnic Mix Mod ( in memory of the so great EDU Mod by White Rabbit ) and it works really fine on Warlords 2.0.8

But for instance, I'm still unsuccessfull to write it for BTS 3.1.9 :(

Should I write it in a modular way ???

Xyth: looks like it's working, but I won't be able to run a test play until tomorrow, probably. Thanks for your help!

OK, just ran a partial playtest of VD. Works OK, except that any unit which is not active defaults to its original (unmodded) appearance, which takes away a lot of the point of the mod. Any ideas how this might be fixed?

[EDIT: Played as far as Medieval era, btw, and that's the only problem so far.]

Has anyone been running Better Ship Scale with BtS? I had problems with both it and Blue Marble when BtS first came out, but Blue Marble was updated and works fine now.

Not only TAM-Players waiting for a BTS-version might be interested in Pie's Antikes Europa. The developement thread is in German, but the game itself can be played in English, as well. As soon as he's done with some additional fixtures and scenarios, there will be an official posting of his own in this forum. No .dll-files or other obstacles seem to be in the way, so I encourage everyone to give it a go. Oh, and if you can't build anything with your first worker, that doesn't mean, mod's not working &#8211; just that improvements cost money in this mod. Pillage some loosely spread preplaced villages to build your first improvements.

Wow, great find ! Thanks.
It works without any problem, it's complex and elaborated and really fun. Plus, the beginning of the game is well designed and there are no silly unrealistic over expansions by primitive civs. :)

[Edit] : And it's perfectly stable !

I have been playing Civilization since the beginning of time as we know it. I have a macbook air which I like to play civ 4 on when I'm traveling. A real road warrior! Anyway, the units in vanilla civ 4 are a bit sad. I have the Lost Units Mod 1.1, which works, and v1.2 which is stuck in some silly .exe file so I can't use that. I have seen a lot of better mods like Composite Mod v1.7 (only works on 1.52!!!, if you want any text!) or sevomod 3. Is there anything like these that will work on a mac (patch 1.61)?

Top Bottom