LK Planning thread

Hi,

LKendter said:
It is to the point that I feel I need to make the games extreme hard to be intersting.
Indeed, so let's hope Civ 4 will have better AIs, and will be harder overall. Sometimes I fear we've all learned so much about playing Civ-like games in general, that new versions of Civ won't be as challenging as Civ 3 was in the beginning. After all, things like emphasize growth in the beginning, early granaries are better than early settlers etc. will be true for Civ 4 as well. so let's hope Civ 4 will have good enough AIs and contain enough 'new' stuff (apart from eye candy which will become old fast!) to rekindle interest again.

-Kylearan

Kylearan said:
so let's hope Civ 4 will have good enough AIs and contain enough 'new' stuff (apart from eye candy which will become old fast!) to rekindle interest again.

The "eye candy" factor is one of my worries. I personally couldn't care less about 3D worlds or a lot of the other features. From time to time I gone back an played some "ugly" looking old game for the fun factor. FUN will be the key word.

I am glad to see pollution gone, but I don't know enough at the point to say...

LKendter said:
Guys, sorry to disappoint. However, after thinking about it more I don't want to start LK108. I may play in someone else's games, but I don't want to host another.
I am officially declaring the LK series on hiatus waiting for Civ4.
Well, that's disappointing but understandable. I was hoping for some extremely challenging LK game. I suppose just about every possible variant has been thought up.

Sir Bugsy said:
Well, that's disappointing but understandable. I was hoping for some extremely challenging LK game. I suppose just about every possible variant has been thought up.

Lack of variant is part of what did this. I feel to limited in game selections at this point to avoid being stuck with more defiant attitudes. Nothing ruins the game more for me then the casacding havoc from defiance.

I also need a civ reset as I am now stuck on there is only one way to play.

I was reading an article in game developer on the flexibility of civ4 and I must say it sounded impressive. They really put major effort in making the game mod-able. Even if the initial game gets old, it will be very flexible for modders to make new things.

It had 4 levels of mod-ability (IIRC - an editor, xml, python, and a *.dll) each of increasing flexibility (but harder to use). They were trying to seperate out the AI strategy into the dll so one could modify the AI for example.

It sounded very hopeful.

Just to say I am pretty much wrapped up for even visiting this forum. The only games I am reading to the end are Rat07, Gr08 and Handy21. I don't even plan to read any new games from interesting players.

Now just waiting to see if my machine will play Civ4. I may have an issue with hardware T&L.

This is my last visit to Civ3 and this thread.

I just want to announce to please go to the Civ4 SG forums for all future LK activity.
I won't even be checking this thread again.

This is my last visit to Civ3 and this thread.
LOL - forgot about this comment. That has been a lie for away since I followed the recent Rat games with CCM.

Necroing my own thread to see if anyone else misses my world map games. I may actually start a Civ3 SG again if there is enough interest.

Well, the last time I played one of your games, it was that funny always war game with Persia where we got our own private rock that had NO resources of ANY kind :lol: Even having T-Hawk, CB and I think it was meldor as the other player wasn't enough to overcome that start.

That was about 8 years ago... Could it be that the time of my revenge for that loss is finally at hand? (Translation: I'm voicing preliminary interest.) :)

LK world map coming back?
LKendter - Yes
Toxicman007 - Yes
ToddMarshall - Mabye

LK world map coming back?
LKendter - Yes
Toxicman007 - Yes
ToddMarshall - Mabye
Greebley - Yes

I think I would prefer a Africa/ Europe/ Asia civ over the Americas which I have played at least twice.
A Europe Civ would be ultra painful. My run as Russia was the toughest start for this map. I can't imagine doing Germany, France or Greece. We would be locked before city #2.

I looked, and I never did China on the wm as an LK series. I swore I played it, but it must have been the original WM I based mine on.
I still plan on the standard domination goal playing deity.
If we do China right we should get Japan, some of the islands such as Philippines, and the ok Siberia spots before they are all tundra. We need to push hard to galley. We also want ships to Alaska to contact the Americas. They are often backwards vs. Eurasia and out best potential for early trades. Contacting Australia would also be a good thing.

I plan to start tonight unless somebody has issues. We will need barb protection in the north as Siberia takes awhile to fill in.

LK148 is open.
Signed up -
LKendter
Greebley?

We are starting the debate for the Civ.
I am starting the discussion by moving this to the planning thread.

I kind of liked the idea of playing Greece in a 'farewell' game. I would not want to play at deity though.

Is there a difficulty level this would be interesting to play?

Greece is a tough call. We will be boxed in big time. I figure one city in Europe if lucky, and one or two in Turkey.
Our southern neighbors of Egypt, Babylon and Persia all have ancient age UU. Persian immortals are a threat to even our UU.
We will most likely waste our GA during despotism due to our UU.

To pull this off will require early war most likely taking out Europe. My gut says monarchy. The end will be a blow out, but the first couple of ages will be tough until such time we can expand.

Top Bottom