LK38 - PTW, Deity Challenge

When I took a 'big picture' look at things I realized they have two cities up near the mongols. I am not sure how or why this happened (i.e. why they passed up the wines), but it should ensure their survival until the Mongols get tired of them. They have lots of 21 square overlap.

Expansionist civs can get a free city in PTW. I already saw this happen in my PTW games with Vikings and Mongols. The probably got a free city, an then added a second city from that one.

You are probably right LK. I recently got two cities and a settler while playing the Arabs. I was shocked.

I saw a Russian archer headed south with my wine scout, so maybe those bonus cities will tip the scales and allow them to survive the German onslaught. It would be nice to have a small buffer civ between us and Germany for a while.

IT: Micromanage Carthage as per Sirian's instructions. Change slider from 6.1.3 to 7.1.2, gaining 3gpt. Trade WM to Cathy for WM and 3 gold, to Ragnar for WM and 3 gold, to Genghis for 1 gold, and to Otto for 4 gold. Decide to send the settler resident in Carthage toward the pink dot, which probably should have been settled long ago. The archer will clean up the settlement while the NuMe takes out the roving barbarian. Germans offer an alliance against the Russians and RoP but I decline.

Early Turns: Theveste changed to Galley. Not sure what to do with Carthage after it grows. It automatically chooses the forest square, making Carthage grow and finish the Settler in 4 turns. After toying with several other ways to micromanage it, I decide that is the best way. I settle near the wines. I make contact with Korea when I find a city they founded on our eastern border. Our NuMe gets his first action. I don't really like his animation. I found pink dot, aka Sabratha. I clean up the barb camp to the east. I trade our WM and 51 gold to Korea (they give the best rate) for contact with India. India lacks Mathematics, but first I offer them our WM to which they offer their WM, 1 gold, and....Code of Laws! Uh, that works for me Gandhi. We are now at parity with everyone but Russia, Scandinavia, and the Mongols. All 7 civs are now found.

Middle Turns: I continue map trading every turn. I am starting to consider it to be mildly exploitative. What do you guys think? The first settler to come out of Carthage is sent to the dark blue dot, with a NuMe clearing the path for him. The AI civs want 5gpt and 222 gold for Polytheism, but for now, I hold out, until one or two more of them have it. Change the slider back down to 7.1.2 from 6.1.3. Remember that when Carthage grows from 4 to 5, it needs an extra luxury, but when it goes back to 4, it should be readjusted. Keep Carthage going as per Sirian's instructions. Mongols sign an alliance with Russia against Germany. The barbs around Utica are a huge pain in the ass. They pillage a road and mine. Perhaps I should have attacked them, but they were across a river, so I didn't want to risk the NuMe. Russia is down to only two cities. I am growing a little antsy keeping so much cash around, so finally I trade 258 gold and 1gpt to Scandinavia for Polytheism. Korea offers their WM and 71 gold for Polytheism and Otto offers their WM and 31 gold. This will bring our total cost down to 156 gold and 1gpt. I take it because if I don't, someone else will. I start on Repubic, under the assumption that it is much easier to trade for Construction, Currency, and Literature.

Late Turns: Theveste finishes its galley and I keep it on another one. The next player can change that if he wants to. Our regular archer kills a barb warrior and is promoted to veteran, losing one hp. India founds a city near one of our yellow dots. We had better fill in our backside next turn before India does. Our veteran warrior in Leptis Minor takes 3 hits before he dispatches a barb horseman.

Conclusion: Like Gothmog before me, I have left a settler in Carthage, for LKendter to move where he likes. I recommend the light blue dot in Sirian's dotmap, or near the horse inbetween Utica and Ulaanbaatar (if we think we can win the culture battle). We are at complete tech parity, ahead of India by mathematics and Polytheism, with only 1gpt of payments, going to Ragnar for 17 more turns. Gandhi, Wang Kon, Genghis Khan, and Otto are all Polite toward us, and Cathy (who is almost dead anyways) and Ragnar are both annoyed with us. I have left the two cities closest to the Mongols on Temples, due in 24 and 25 turns, and of course, they can be changed if LKendter wants. I have left one NuMe in the eastern desert to clear out any barbs, although at this point, he is probably not necessary, as the Indians have a warrior running around and they don't have the disadvantage against the barbs that we have.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/LK38,_1100_BC.SAV

LKendter (currently playing)
Reagan (on deck)
Sirian
Gothmog
Speaker

I see it - of course, it arrives when I am flying tonight :(
Expect something very late tonight, or maybe tomorrow.

A few comments, note I have not looked at the save or seen a map, just read the report:

I am worried about the light blue dot. We are lucky that Korea didn't settle there rather than wherever they ended up in the east, same for India. They do have our maps now and they will be back with more settler/galleys. This is potentially a powerful city for us. I am glad you settled the dark blue dot though. IMO the pink dot could have waited some more. The mongols are the only grab risk there and they have good room to expand up north without having to cross our territory (and potentially be slowed or blockaded by our troops). Which is why I settled orange first and put even white before pink in my report (it's on the coast).

Nice work with the India contact/trade. You got to them before they had a WM of our continent. I would probably have waited for galley contact, or a contact trade. I don't consider the WM trade exploitive, its just a payback for some of our northern and northeastern scouts.

I might have gone for monarchy, as we will not be ready for Republic until we have at least a couple of market built (and that implies currency). But I understand your reasoning.

I would not have let the barbs pillage our bonus grassland mine. I don't know the sequence of events that led to it, but that is a harsh blow for Utica.

With industrious, a pillaged tile isn't as bad. We ought to have enough workers to repair the damage quickly once the area is secure.

Remember, we are non-religious. If we switch to Monarchy, that just means we are going to have to have another round of anarchy when we switch to Republic. Considering you really dont get Democracy until the very end of the Middle Age if not the beginning of the Industrial Age when you are not researching yourself. The WM trading I am talking about is going back every turn and getting 1 gold per civ, when really we don't have anything new to show them. I chose the pink dot before I knew the Indians were in town (remember I chose the site at the very beginning of my turn, but I also chose it because it can become a productive city rather quickly. Also recall that Sirian urged it as a top priority. As for the pillage, well, there really was nothing I could do. The barb would not attack my NuMe and kept sitting across the river, so I didn't want to risk the 30 shields it would take to build another one, or let him sack the city. An archer may be necessary over there to civilize those barbs.

LKendter, if you read this before you play, please notice that Leptis minor is set to complete a warrior next turn and DOES NOT need one. This was an oversight on my part, as two exploring warriors returned home before Leptis Minor produced anything and I forgot to change it. An archer would be a better fit I think.

Sirian urged pink before orange. I settled orange first and stand by that decision (I would have gone for pink if I had seen any mongol threat). I believe with orange settled, the need to get pink diminished, as described above. Also, if you haven't noticed already, I may not take Sirian's comments as the gospel. He is a good player, very thoughtful and writes well, but not the final authority by any means. The light blue has two cows and would (will) be majorly productive. I mention my fear of the AI's swooping in at the end of my post. I litterally hopped out of my seat when I read that you were going for pink first hoping that we wouldn't lose light blue before the end of your turn.

As far as the Monarchy vs. Republic. As I said, I understand your reasoning, but thanks for elaborating. If we go to war (I hope not), and get our golden age from our NM, we may wish we were in Monarchy. I mention in my report that I would have whipped another settler, you chose not to. Sometimes differences are just that, not better or worse just different.

I would have attacked the barb, maybe with a warrior (I don't know where you sent the two that were in that area at the end of my turn), maybe with a NM (it does attack at 2). Again just a difference. Hopefully I wouldn't have let him get in that position in the first place (as I said I don't know the sequence of events).

Sorry if you felt my commentary was too harsh, I didn't mean it that way. Your play was fine, only the pink dot do I consider a small bit of weed and hopefully I will be proved wrong. I like to play in SG's to find out about other playing styles. I like to comment and be commented upon. I will refrain next time if you say so.

Generally, Republics do quite well in wartime, especially if you are not the aggressor. With a non-religious civ I would almost always go towards Republic rather than Monarchy (unless I want the Hanging Gardens for some reason.)

I think it was a great stroke of luck stumbling across a Korean city like that. It was even luckier that they gave us CoL for our WM. To be at total tech parity at this point, with only 1gpt in outgoing payments is a minor miracle. There is a chance that we might even beat the AI to Republic. We could even sneak a wonder, if we wanted, if we start a prebuild.

My .02 on the recent issues:

- Monarchy v. Republic - My general approach is to self-research Republic first because it's usually an either/or choice given the high value that the AIs place on both techs. Republic is likely going to be our gov't of choice, especially given our non-Religious traits. I support the decision to begin Republic research.

- City sites - Settling near the cattle to the SE of Carthage (assuming that's possible, which looks unlikely) should be very high on the list of things to do next turn.

- Wonders - My standard view regarding self-building wonders on Deity prior to ToE, especially when still trying to get general city improvements and military in place, is to fuhgedaboutit. I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in our current game where straying from that philosophy will have a positive expected value.

Gothmog leaped out of his seat with concern at pink dot. I did the same upon reading that the capital got whipped. :eek: That is something I would never do. To save THREE TURNS on a settler? No settler is that urgent. That's 20g in added lux IF LUCKY, this if it costs just 1gpt to raise lux by 10%. Or... if not doing that, then keeping the capital at lower size for an extended time, which costs at least 2gpt (river tile) and at least 1 food or shield per turn, for each population reduced. If the city were sitting on size 6, it could produce 6spt (forest, mined hill, two plains, two flood plains) with 2 suplus food and 12 to 14 commerce per turn, and be done with the settler as the city goes to size 7. From size 5, whipping means the city dropped all the way down to SIZE TWO. At size two, the city is pulling in only six commerce per turn. Sheesh. The lost population will mean at least two turns delay on all later settlers anyway. :smoke:

I do agree with Gothmog that players should make up their own minds, not blindly follow my suggestions. However, that cuts both ways. I would urge others not to be whipping our capital please. Population is power. :) Thanks.

- Sirian

@Reagan: Normally I would agree with you, regarding wonders, however I have just had one of the most bizarre results with prebuilding in an Emperor game, where a palace I started at 8spt, completed in 86 turns, managed to steal a major wonder and win the game for me, so I am now realizing that anything is possible. This is not to say that it is applicable in this case, and it probably isn't, but I just wanted to keep all our options open. If we prebuilt now, for what it's worth, we could probably get a Middle Age wonder, though it definitely isn't worth it until we get City Improvements.

@All: Just to clarify, I wasn't blindly following Sirian's suggestion. In my opinion, the pink dot was the best available site for our next city. Its terrain is half hill, half grassland (with some jungle over the grassland), and by the time we get to Republic in 40 turns or less, it will be one of our top cities. Light blue dot has two cows, yes, but it also does not have fresh water anywhere nearby, and has only plains and water in its radius. Let's not overrely on bonus tiles so much that we lose sight of the whole of the City Radius. Until we can irrigate without fresh water, those cows will produce 2 food, 3 shields (if mined), and 1 gold, or one shield better than a mined bonus grassland tile, but since a potential city on light blue dot would be 8 tiles from Carthage, those extra shield would almost certainly be lost to corruption anyways.

This is the sort of discussion I enjoy! Well, I saved three turns and got to a spot I thought was critical to block off the rapidly expanding mongols. They haven't sent another settler our was since. They went east instead. We got a bit of luck in the east and I got the wines spot as well. I was really thinking it would just cost us some gold and with Germany and Russia fighting I didn't think we'd need it anyway (tech pace slow). I did lose track of the fact that we had a nice river spot and could grow past size 6. This might have changed my analysis a bit (a small bit of weed that is). With those flood planes we could be larger now than we are. Why didn’t anyone tell me this before, did I have to prod? As I said before, please offer comments on my turns, especially on questionable moves. But still, from Sirians analysis I gained 3 turns, lost some gold (ofset in part by 3 turns earlier city production), and delayed future settlers by two turns. If we couldn’t grow past size 6, I would take that deal again (in the current game where gold isn’t really a problem and the tech pace is slow). Given that we could grow past size 6, there must be some way to configure our city to produce settlers every 4 turns with its array of resources. I would have tried to get that to happen (rather than the average of every 5 turns we’ve been doing - three during my turns and two during Speakers). So thank you for pointing that out, although I could have done without the Sheesh. Were you upset by the final authority and gospel comments? We should definitely try to configure our capital to produce settlers every 4 turns (I think this would take a size 6-8 cycle).

I agree with the Republic choice. As I said, I might have gone for Monarchy. We might have been able to trade it. But I think actually the Republic choice was best given the high price the AI charges for governments. I learned something I already was leaning towards here.

@Speaker: You are right about the potential productivity of the pink spot. I was just really worried about AI invasion after we gave our world maps away. The way I typically lose at Diety is to not get enough of a core set up in the very beginning. It is great that we have had no problems in that area yet.

You can only work with the tiles you have. We don't have BG tiles at the capital. We have flood plains. That means choosing food OR shields. Unless... you simply let the grow larger and keep it there, where you can get food and shields. There's just no way to get these tiles to four turns per settler. I agree with the urge to speed things up, but your whipping sped up one settler at cost to everything else.

Did it turn out that the Mongols were racing for Orange Dot? Did you three turns earlier grabbing that actually make or break the difference on us getting that location? I didn't get that sense from your report.

Settler production rate can be limited by food or by shields. In the case of lands with no food bonuses, the fastest settler rate is ten turns per settler. It takes that much food, with granary support, to grow the city two sizes. This can't be sped up no matter what. Whipping to try to do so would completely fail to recognize that it is the food, not the shields, that is limiting production.

Well, for our capital, it is the shields that is limiting, but you speak of a settler every five turns as an unacceptably low output. That would be absurd, in my view. If we had drawn lower food totals, we'd be stuck with a settler every ten turns at best, and training units in between each settler.

Fact is, we have the food and shields to put a settler out every five or six turns. That is monumentally good. It only works if we keep the city between size 4 and 7, though. Dropping it to size 2 means a delay of running four or five turns of max food and virtually no shields just to get back up to sustainable settler production of one every five turns, OR WORSE, not do that, and continue to shrink the capital even more, this with every whipping adding unhappiness that lasts an additional twenty turns, compound.

There is just no scenario in which whipping your capital comes out ahead.

As for losing light blue dot, there's no way Korea or any other AI's from other landmasses could hold those cities if we don't want them to do so. Right there on our core, with them having to ship reinforcements over by boat? We could take the cities away from them if we had to do so. Inland cities are another story. If we take on the Mongols or Germans, its a much bigger task.

I urged pink dot because of the quality of the land. You got the orange, that was a good move. You got green also, and that was very good. We're doing fine. But the land at our capital is a conglomeration. We can only sustain a high production rate at a higher population, to get both food and shields at the same time. This is very different from a low food, high shield, all grass layout where you WANT your capital sitting around at size one because you need those settlers out the door the moment the food allows it.

If I think hard, I could come up with some emergency situations where I might deem it worth it to whip the capital. Almost all of these involve countering some unexpected and dire threat. If the intent is to boost production, it is always a step backward. The capital would have produced five or six shields on its own anyway, so for fifteen or sixteen shields, you traded away ten food, PLUS the shields and food and commerce lost from working fewer tiles, PLUS the unhappiness for twenty turns, which would be tripled (not doubled) if a second whipping were done.

I never whip the capital. Even if I had all flood plains and desert I wouldn't do it. I'd get the thing up to size seven and run some desert mine tiles. For settler production, I'd run break-even or even deficit food at size seven, then max useful food to get back to size seven, then high shields again, round and round, the fastest total continuous settler output.

I realize there is a sense of urgency, to try to get something done on your turn. Everybody feels it. Ten turns go by quickly. All we can do is all we can do. You don't want to set up something big, not have time to finish it, and have someone else come along and undo all your gains. But Deity-capable SG players who've proven they can be part of winning teams... if any one player tries to do everything and win the whole game, it will likely only result in setbacks that others then have to try to undo. Sometimes the best thing you can do on your turn is to suck it up and leave the glory for the next guy. Sure, if you've got an open shot, take it. But if you don't, then pass the ball to the guy who is open. You'll get credit for the assist. If you never pass the ball and always take the shot, even if you don't have a good one, and especially if you miss a lot, you'll get credit for that too. :o That you ran overtime on your turn to go get the green dot... maybe that was just confusion. I don't know. But really, you don't have to do it all. We will achieve more if we work together and trust one another. You can analyze, leave suggestions for the next player, veto choices of your predecessors. If your own results come out well enough, people won't object. If you take charge and rework what someone else was doing, then it needs to work out often enough that people continue to trust your judgement. That trust thing is a two-way street. :)

In fairness, though, when I made my dotmap, there was no contact with the other continents. You may be right about increased priority to light blue dot. I don't really know. I also don't tend to analyze and criticize other player's turns. I have a need to keep my mouth shut and choose my moments wisely, because if I went completely unchained, I'd nitpick and analyze everything, and the important points would be lost in the tumult. If I want my opinions to carry weight, it's up to me to make them weighty, not toss them around like rice at a wedding.

Hey, it's unusual to be sitting around waiting on Lee to have time to take a turn. :) He spends all that time in hotels, he usually is on top of everything and needing to fight off boredom between those intense periods of doing his job. We all get busy sometimes, though. I hope he has a safe flight. :D

- Sirian

Top Bottom