Lo5 01 - The Puppetmaster

IMO we should wait for republic since we won't be waging any/a lot of wars. Going into monarchy and then republic is out of question. We can easily be the tech leaders using republic and our scientific trait, which might help Spain in further warfare. So monarchy should not attract our attention at all (I guess no one considered building HG ;)

Blue dot or tile NW from it.. both seem good.

I think we should start a prebuild for FP now.

Going into monarchy and then republic is out of question

You're right, but I think going to monarchy and then to Democracy could be a plan. That would save us something 'bout 30 turns of research now.

I think we should start a prebuild for FP now.

I totally agree. I think Bursa or Edrine are the only cities that come in question.

There's now more than 28 hours and still no comment of the lone man, skip?

Well, there's no much difference between democracy and republic. Since we will maintain small military (at least I think we will) democracy won't bring us any vital profit over republic. So I think we should go straight for republic. Suffering two anarchy times on emperor level is something we should avoid.

ok, so go for republic.
I think you can play TimBentley, doesn't seem like TheLoneMan want's to do this.

1025(0): no more regular units please, switch Edrine to barracks
embassy with Spain, screenshot attached
Spain does not know Celts, not at war with Greece
sigh...irrigated BGs in despotism

1000(1): Spain knows construction
some barbs up north, some archers could be good

IBT: Giuseppe settler->archer
Spain starts ToA
Madrid builds Oracle (SGL)
Greeks cascade to Pyramids

975(2): barbs will delay northern settler from settling

IBT: one dead barb horse

950(3): and an elite spear should be coming up

IBT: while losing 2hp and killing 2 horses

925(4): curragh hoping for survival

IBT: learn literature
buy philosophy from Celts for lit, 54g
still no possibility of buying construction
Jiri Tmka worker->rax
Izmit worker->curragh
Greece establishes embassy
curragh sinks

900(5): Greece bought philosophy from Celts
found Antalya on green dot, start on worker
start max research on CoL
switch Selfishville to library (rush in 4 turns?)
found Konya NW of blue dot, start on worker
wow, we only have 6.5 workers for 9 cities

875(6): zzz

IBT: two more dead barbs
Giuseppe archer->archer

850(7): lux to 10%

825(8): Celts know map making
spot pink border north of Celts

IBT: spot injured Celtic archer, with war with pink?
Edrine riots due to MM losing income
Aydin worker->rax

800(9): zzz

IBT: Celts start Hanging Gardens

775(10): meet Arabia, they know construction, but lack polytheism, writing (leave trading to next player)
Greece knows Arabia
just before Edrine finishes rax I remember to switch it to FP prebuild (we only need 1 more city)

Notes: Arabia would give construction for writing, polytheism, 167g (we could gift them writing and see what's possible then, but Spain's deal seems better)
Spain would give construction for literature, philosophy, 4g
then it looks like Celts would need a little gpt, practically all of our gold and construction for map making
Chopping a couple of forests to speed up a library for Konya would be good
It looks like maybe America, Sumeria, or China is to the north
In case you didn't notice, Great Library in Edrine is FP prebuild
How nice: Spain is second last in points (only ahead of us) and looks last in power; at least they've got decent culture

Attachments

• L05_775BC.JPG
    L05_775BC.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 140
  • L05_Madrid.JPG
    L05_Madrid.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 170
  • L05_blueborder.JPG
    L05_blueborder.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Lo5_01_775_BC.SAV
    103.7 KB · Views: 88
Damn, guys... I apologize for not checking the thread, it's been so hectic (just started at a new school, buying books and everything), that it totally slipped my mind. I'll try to be more on top of things next week...

Tim, it seems you uploaded wrong save file. You finished your turn in 775 BC, while the save you uploaded is from 1025 BC.

Turn 0: 775
Spain: philosophy + literature + 4g for construction
The celts have monarchy and map making and not construction, but will not allow any trades
Giuseppe archer->settler to get the horses

IBT Bursa granary->settler

Turn 1: 750
Workers work, curraghs curragh.

IBT: Barb horse moves out of that camp near Antalya

Turn 2: 730
Move the elite spear in Antalya to intercept
Science to 4.6.3 to help Bursa
A chop will go into Selfishville in 8 turns

IBT: Spear takes 2 damage and wins
Giuseppe settler->sword

Turn 3: 710
E Archer takes 2 damage and disperses the camp near Antalya

Turn 4: 690
Nothing interesting

Turn 5: 670
Science spending down

IBT: CoL in, start on republic
Chop gets in to giuseppe

Turn 6: 650
No good trades can be done with CoL even though it is a monopoly tech
Science to 0.7.3

IBT: Bursa settler->settler
Seville library->settler

Turn 7: 630
Bursa's settler goes north

IBT: Giuseppe sword->sword

Turn 8: 610
chop into guiseppe in 3

IBT: Spain demands CoL, doesn't get it. No war, they're still polite.

Turn 9: 590
I change my mind regarding the horses city and move it to get the gems in the 1st radius, the horses in the 2nd (which we get free thanks to Konya)

IBT: Jiri barrack->sword
Izmit curragh->library
Konya warrior->library (for the iron)

Turn 10: 570
Found Kafa north of the gems, move the parked warrior to garrison.
When thinking whether to send the new curragh (the HMS Cheeseburgerbeast) I spot some America-blue borders in the fog to the north. Guess where I send it.
Save-'n'-quit

A picture and a save

0 turn - 570 BC:
In Edrine I switch Great Library to Forbidden Palace. In Giuseppe I switch swordsman to library. Deal with Spain: CoL for MM+100gp.
1 turn - 550 BC:
Our archer barely wins to barb.
2 turn - 530 BC:
Selfishville settler->barracks;
IBT: our spearman wins to barb
3 turn - 510 BC:
nothing
4 turn - 490 BC:
Giuseppe library->worker; Salonika is found, and set to build library; barb killed by swordsman. Since Spain is pretty weak I planned a decent (IMO) plot. Sorry, for not consulting it with you but I think we should react ASAP. Greece is backward, while Celts are even more advanced than us so I wanted to make sure none of those techs will go to Greece anytime soon. I declared war on the Celts and allied Greece against them(for construction). Greece have the strongest military, but dont have iron, which means they wont be effective. So I think they wont capture any cities. This way Greece may become even more backward, moreover they will be weakened when the time come for Spain to attack them. I also switched Kafa from warior to library(we need more culture in this town, since it might flip to Greece).
5 turn - 470 BC:
Giuseppe worker-> swordsman; Bursa settler->worker;
6 turn - 450 BC:
Aydin barracks->library;
IBT: Alexander demands literature, I decline, no war.
7 turn - 430 BC:
Suicidal run of our curragh.
8 turn - 410 BC:
Bursa worker->worker. Our curragh succeeds, America is down literature, no worthwhile trades available. Mugla is found.
9 turn - 390 BC:
Why is AI so dumb. Just got an annoucement that Spain started building 3 great wonders.
10 turn - 370 BC:
nothing

Production in Salonika and Mugla might be switched to something else.
Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/95852/Lo5_1_370_BC.SAV

In fact the spanish are building 4 wonders. D'oh. Anyways, nice idea of the war against celtia. Looks nice.

I think between Guiseppe, Kafa and Konya is enough space for another city, maybe E-E-SE of Guiseppe. I think we'll have to get some irrigation to these plains, also to the ones around Kafa.
The settling you did in the north looks good, I think if we have some spare workers we should clear the swamps 3NE of Mugla to found a city there. Another nice city spot is N-N-NW-NW of Salonika.

TheLoneMan said:
Damn, guys... I apologize for not checking the thread, it's been so hectic (just started at a new school, buying books and everything), that it totally slipped my mind. I'll try to be more on top of things next week...

No problem. Mainly glad to hear you're still interested!

Lo5

...and... got it. Will play tonight, deliver tomorrow morning CET.

Lo5

Settling 3 NE of Mugla is advisible, I thought about it as well. Our priority now is clearing all the jungles and marshes, so we need a lot of workers.
So what do you think we should do?
- build workers now (no settlers)
- workers and settlers as well

Actually I prefer the first option. Once dealt with jungles we can send some workers to improve Spanish lands.

It seems we will be in Middleages before Greece, so I think once we obtain feudalism and build some units, we should declare war on Greece and ally Spain against them. To assure Spain won't be crippled we can keep some pikes at their border with Greece.

What do you think?

Other than a city in the gap east of Guiseppe, any other cities will be >60% corrupt (after the FP is built), so workers would be a good emphasis. A war with Greece before too long would be good. Convincing the Spanish despot to allow for a republic would also be good (when our despotism is enlightened).

370 BC (pre-flight): I decide that my turnset will be about doing one or two things, and doing them right. Considering just how dang *far* the Celts are from us and how *little* we can do against them or the Greeks in the next roughly 25 turns, I decide that those one or two things will be non-military.

Jiri Trnka Swordsman->Worker

Antalya Barracks->Harbor

Salonika Archer->Harbor

Bursa mm'ed to finish worker immediately

Giuseppe takes Swordsman->Temple to make the best of a bad situation (80% overrun on Swordsman), debatable but what the hey. Keep in mind later on that this city can be allowed to grow a bit more than usual (definitely let it exceed size 7 ASAP in republic in any case)

Barracks in Selfishville accepted with a sigh.

Konya somethingorother (barracks?)->Settler

Kafa kept on library, that culture will definitely come in handy

WHO'S STACKING WORKERS?? Grrr...

Advice to build 3 NE of Mugla irrelevant for now -- we have a big enough worker shortage as it is without sending off workers to clear marsh in Corruptionland.

IBT: Bursa finishes worker->worker, Jiri Trnka finishes worker->worker

350 BC (1): Our worker count's now just over our city count, and we're industrious. We also still have a lot of jungle to clear, though, so I'm still worried.

Hmm, a settler? Again, 3 NE of Mugla's impossible for several dozen turns in the ideal case. 2 N, 3 NE of Mugla will net us the iron with the help of a library, and it has a built-in grassland so it can start its life by spitting out a 10-turn worker or two. ANY more cities in the north will be as corrupt as hell without some work (connection to capitol, courthouse, Republic) in any case, so we might as well at least get food and workers from the deal...

Bursa worker->Library -- might as well pick up those fish for our worker farm...

IBT: Greeks have started Great Library. Awesome! ;-)

330 BC (2): A road/mine (due S of Selfishville) not adjacent to any roaded space? Grrr...

Gems roll in, allowing 90% science and a jump of the research time for Republic down by 2 turns. Kudos to the man with the gems plan. (And yes, even I would stack workers on that one.)

MM Edrine/Selfishville to shave a turn off barracks while still finishing FP on time.

IBT: Edrine FP->worker

310 BC (3): Gosh, the barbs are quite adamant about the north belonging to them. Seems we'll need to converse with them a bit.

MM to give Edrine worker in 1.

IBT: Chop pushes Konya towards its settler. Edrine worker->worker. Selfishville barracks->horse.

290 BC (4): Zzz. Edrine switch worker->library. We gonna be da science KINGS babuh :-D

IBT: Giuseppe temple->horsies. Jiri Trnka worker->horsies. If the player who takes us into war really prefers swords, these'll still come in handy, I think; the horses will still come in handy for controlling the battlefield.

270 BC (5): 133t archers kill barbs who are squatting our future home. Decide to risk moving in this turn despite lots of camped horsies -- we've got three units, none at less than 4 hp, 2 of 'em are swords, and we're on defensive terrain. New techs to buy -- The Republic (Celts). Grr... they're willing to negotiate, but we're trapped due to reputation. I still agree that this war was a good idea overall, though.

IBT: Barbarians staved off, Aydin finishes library->aqueduct. Maybe not a good idea, change it if you like.

250 BC (6): Jim Henson founded amidst the irony taste of the barbarian outback. Anti-barb armied * f o r t i f i e d * there.

IBT: Celts wanna talk. I wanna keep my promises. Konya settler->barracks. I'd start a granary, but I doubt it'd survive the next turnset anyway. :)

230 BC (7): MM science to make a quick buck, cause REPUBLIC IS DUE!

IBT: We discover The Republic. We are revolting. Absolutely. Research set to Currency. Let's bust this joint.

210 BC (8): Whew, anarchy means no more microing for me this turnset! :band: Skoupa (yet another puppetry-related name) founded... founded... founded a little further east than I should have, I guess. But we'll do all right. Production set to worker. Cities MM'ed as if I'd learned nothing from the Viva la revolucion thread, because really, I didn't. Well, OK, I do play around a little, turning the revolting cities into all-scientists.

IBT: whew, no starvation.

190 BC (9): Ooh, a barb isle south of America. (I've been curraghing all the while, BTW, just nothing interesting to report about it is all.) It's curragh-unsafe, though, so I retreat.

IBT: Unavoidable starvation at Edrine. Sorry folks. And -- holy crap! Anarchy over already! I hadn't even bothered to check yet. We are now a republic, woot! And the Spanish are building the hanging gardens. At this rate, we'll have to go for a 20K win :rolleyes:

170 BC (10): MM a lot to avoid revolt without raising lux. Anti-barb league attacks, barbs around Jim Henson. What's this?!? The Greeks have founded Rhodes in our holy of holies, the northern peninsula. Good luck to them getting any use out of it, though. Its rapid destruction should be worth a bit of extra profit from peace treaty negotiations, muahaha.

*No production microing was done to reflect the new situation in Republic,* as Frrosch will have his own opinions on build priorities anyway.

Oh dear, it's 5 a.m. :-/ Hope y'all'll forgive me, then, for the lack of a screenshot. I'm going to BED thankyouverymuch!

(morning after, and having read Tim's comments)

I second the sentiment of gifting (at least) Republic to the Spaniards. We might consider pulling the Science Civ Slingshot when we finish Currency (gift Greece up to middle ages, buy his free tech, then sell our now non-matching free tech to partly recoup or even more than recoup the difference). I mean, what's he gonna do, build pikemen? :-D I do realize it's a risk, though, since we'll soon go to war with him. Above all, it means we won't be able to reasonably deal in GPT during the slingshot deal unless we're willing to wait 20 turns for war afterwards.

ARMY COMPOSITION: Swordsmen will fall like flies to hoplites. Horsies are being built with intention of upgrade only. Med Infs are cheap and a bit earlier than knights. Knights, however, upgrade to Sipahi (sp?)...

If we wait all the way to Sipahi, then we give a bit more time for buildup, reach our golden age a little earlier (due to not being at war during the run-up), and if it takes at least 20 turns to reach Mil Trad, then we can use GPT in the Scientific Slingshot without risking the loss of income/reputation to the war declaration. We might also be able to use the time to repair our relationship with the Celts, who hopefully will be more than happy to fight the evil Greeks again. :p

We're gradually becoming more than self-sufficient in terms of workers. The time may soon be ripe for the Spanish RoP-and-send-workers plan.

POST-EDIT: It's not really awesome that Greece is building the Great Library, since it won't be very useful in this game, only worth a tech at most; with all those library builds in the last two turnsets, we're structured to be a tech leader now, not a follower. Hopefully a cascade will kick him out of it. Otherwise, we can look forward to it as a tourist attraction and that's it. Well, it's a very late start and I'll bet my momma there's a cascade coming up, so the main thing is to ensure that the Greeks have something nice to cascade to. Muahahahahaaa!

BTW we have libraries in lots of places without the science income to really justify them. We can run a deficit for a while still so they're currenntly at least helping us run it a little faster :), but in the long run we really need to get the cities with them up in commerce. Unfortunately, we also need lots of other things out of said cities. Balancing will be tough.

Attachments

• Lo5_1_170_BC.SAV
    129.7 KB · Views: 103
k, got it, I hope I got all the things right that you said. I'll play this afternoon, after hopefully getting some more comments.

The celts lost at least 2 cities against the greeks yet, they only got 5 left, so I think they are not a real challenge for the greeks (15 cities) any more. Especially as 3 of the 5 cities are on a small plains/desert peninsula. Maybe they'll even be destroyed soon. I think we can't count on them. Maybe the arabians can take their part in supporting us against the greeks lateron.

And the Spanish are building the hanging gardens. At this rate, we'll have to go for a 20K win
I think a 100K win is more realistic as they are building 5 wonders in 5 cities atm :crazyeye:

ARMY COMPOSITION: Swordsmen will fall like flies to hoplites. Horsies are being built with intention of upgrade only. Med Infs are cheap and a bit earlier than knights. Knights, however, upgrade to Sipahi (sp?)...
I think we should decide this now. If we wan't to go straight for Sipahi, I would like not to research chivalry and, possibly, monotheism. That would be my preference, as sipahi vs. musketmen is much easier than knights vs. hoplites. It would also give us the possibility of doing gpt trades in our scientific slingshot, which is quite a risk but worth it I think, as researching 5 techs at least will take more than 20 turns, in fact probably 30 turns or even a bit more.

Top Bottom