Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

An odd thought... With Firaxis being owned by Take Two Interactive, and GTA Online being such a huge thing, I can picture some suit trying to replicate that in every successful franchise. What if there's no Civ VII and we get "Civilization Online" next? With Civ VI as the "single player classical one", and Civ Online being the next step, in which you can play "single player" but you can invade other people worlds or be invaded, or any other weird online gameplay. Heck, I wouldn't rule this out, publishers have been known to do sillier things chasing for a golden goose.

So only eight more days until my favourite game reaches its final state.
I find it a little sad when there will be no more new civs and game mechanics to explore, but I understand it, the game has become complex over time and the crashes kept getting more frequent over the last months.
What I find annoying: In the announcement video the aspect "user interface" was again NOT mentioned at all, so I will depend on UI mods until the end of days to overcome the most basic UI design flaws (deal/trade screen eespecially).
Considering how big this Civilization franchise is, I am sure we will have to wait several years until there is something like "Civ7".

An odd thought... With Firaxis being owned by Take Two Interactive, and GTA Online being such a huge thing, I can picture some suit trying to replicate that in every successful franchise. What if there's no Civ VII and we get "Civilization Online" next? With Civ VI as the "single player classical one", and Civ Online being the next step, in which you can play "single player" but you can invade other people worlds or be invaded, or any other weird online gameplay. Heck, I wouldn't rule this out, publishers have been known to do sillier things chasing for a golden goose.

I think generally something multiplayer is the direction Civ should be going, and is the direction VI has been slowly creeping with things like Red Death and Pirates!

I would support this move, as far as increasing survivability of the series. I think taking VI as a base and modifying it to be: a) faster-paced, b) have more late game switch-ups and maybe some AI rubber-banding, and c) maybe have some modes where players are forced to cooperate in the late game; that would be a really good way to open up the playerbase.

It's not just Civ VI that doesn't live up to the expectations of Players who played and enjoyed previous iterartions of the Series, but nowadays most 4X Games in general. In the Past, 4X Strategy Games used to be more engaging but without too much mechanisms for the Player to feel too much (and enough for the AI to handle everything right). A perfect example is Master of Orion II, which was built on the first Game (and Master of Magic) but included more of everything, which isn't always good. it felt too much. The Game was still good, but nonetheless the first Game was much more liked by the Fans than the second one. And don't mention MoO III to the Series' Fanbase, they will mostl likely ban you immediately :p.

Most of the 4X Genre Games nowadays try to implement a lot of things at once, mostly to try to beat their predecessors or competitors with new features. Which make those games bloated but at the same time with not much deepness. They also focus on making the game playable by as many Players as possible, to attract new Players, even players that aren't 4X Genre fans, casual Players, Adults AND Kids, lately even mobile players ...etc, which make the Game Mechanisms Simple enough for those Players to understand and enjoy, but at the Cost of the 4X Strategy Fanatics who like more deepness to the gameplay.
Yet, some Games do a really good Job on some of that, like @Kwami 's example of CK3.

I don't think that Games, that have as many Players as possible under their Radar, should change their Mechanisms/Playstyle accordingly. The programming Options Nowadays are nearly Endless, and much better than they used to be in the 90', where 4X Games used to only please the players of this Genre (successfully). What I'm thinking about is Automated Stuff In-game. Distant Worlds Universe offers a lot of automation options to manage nearly every aspect of the Game, which makes even it's larger maps easy managable.

Now Imagine Civ adopting this Systeme into the Game. I saw a lot of Players not liking/enjoying the battle/combat aspect of the Game, and others disliking The Micromanagement of Governors, or bothering about Trade Routs which shouldn't concern the Leader directly but the Citizens. If things could be automated, it would solve three things at the same time, managing things that players don't wanna deal with (don't care about relegion? keep it automated), the Micromanagement of some things (Some People enjoy micromanaging their Cities with tall play, others would rather go wide but have tactical Combat/Battles), and New Players could easily concentrate on one/some thing(s) at a Time, while everything else is automated.

No, thanks. My tolerance for online gaming is approximately zero. I actively avoid just about any game with an online component. I think you'll find that the vast, vast majority of Civ VI games are played by a single player with AI opponents.

So only eight more days until my favourite game reaches its final state.
I find it a little sad when there will be no more new civs and game mechanics to explore, but I understand it, the game has become complex over time and the crashes kept getting more frequent over the last months.
What I find annoying: In the announcement video the aspect "user interface" was again NOT mentioned at all, so I will depend on UI mods until the end of days to overcome the most basic UI design flaws (deal/trade screen eespecially).
Considering how big this Civilization franchise is, I am sure we will have to wait several years until there is something like "Civ7".

Hm, I don't know about that. Numbered entries in the Civilization series are usually about 5 years apart and it's already been about 5 years since the release of VI. We might have to wait another year (maybe two) because of the pandemic and NFP, but I don't think it'll be several years.

No, thanks. My tolerance for online gaming is approximately zero. I actively avoid just about any game with an online component. I think you'll find that the vast, vast majority of Civ VI games are played by a single player with AI opponents.

Hm, I don't know about that. Numbered entries in the Civilization series are usually about 5 years apart and it's already been about 5 years since the release of VI. We might have to wait another year (maybe two) because of the pandemic and NFP, but I don't think it'll be several years.
Yeah if I wanted to play games with other people I'd try to make friends

But also, that is the line of thinking that destroyed the venerable SimCity franchise. NO, I certainly do not want to play simcity in a MMORPG world.

Last edited:
Damn you, Kevin.:p

upload_2021-4-14_19-8-0.png

If there is another season, I probably won't buy it, at least not right away. As far as I am concerned, Civ 6 doesn't need more content, it needs refinement and integration between existing systems. I did get some mileage out of NFP, especially the early updates (the Maya were great for me), but the last few packs barely enticed me to play a single game to check them out.

If there is another season, I probably won't buy it, at least not right away. As far as I am concerned, Civ 6 doesn't need more content, it needs refinement and integration between existing systems. I did get some mileage out of NFP, especially the early updates (the Maya were great for me), but the last few packs barely enticed me to play a single game to check them out.
If you want integration, you're going to want an Expansion Pack (and not a Season Pass), part of the problem was that they had to assume that you were only getting the one DLC pack. Without either an XP or an SP, I highly doubt we'll get any further significant changes until VII.

No, thanks. My tolerance for online gaming is approximately zero. I actively avoid just about any game with an online component.
Same. "Let's make everything online!!1!1" was trendy in the early 2010s, but it received such a well-deserved backlash (oh, hello, SimCity 5 debacle) that I don't see them trying it again. I have zero interest in gaming online so if Civ starts to reorient itself as an online game in the future that will be another nail in its coffin as far as I'm concerned. Support multiplayer, sure, but don't foist it on those of us who don't want it.

exactly what I mean. Civ 6 is flawed... BUT I don't think it will be forgotten any time soon. Maybe by the time of civ 10.
Why should we hope that?

Improving =/=letting past things forgotten. Look at civ 4 VS civ 5... there are certain things civ 5 did better than civ 4 and yet civ 4 did not get forgotten and some people still think civ 4 is the golden age for civ franchise. And look at civ 5 VS civ 6. There are certain things civ 6 did better than civ 5 ( like returing of government, policy cards and natural disasters ect) and civ 5 did not get forgotten.
When civ 7 comes out, people WILL complain that it isn't good as civ 6 and that civ 6 was better than civ 7.
Civ4 and Civ5 had a modding support allowing to expand the playstyle and fix anything left unfinished at the end of their development cycle.

Unless Civ7 is very very bad, my opinion is that civ6 will be forgotten way faster than any other previous iteration. And I dont think Civ6 is a bad game, I don't like it, but that's a matter of taste.

Edit: it's just that I have the feeling it's designed to be a commercial success, but a forgettable one so that the next one will be assured to be a bigger commercial success.

There is a dead subforum somewhere on this site that should tell them it's a very very bad idea.

Unless you want Civ6 to not be forgotten, of course !

Last edited:
Didn't they have a secondary team work on Rise and Fall, while the main team focused on the main game and designing Gathering Storm? Or did it just feel that way?

Didn't they have a secondary team work on Rise and Fall, while the main team focused on the main game and designing Gathering Storm? Or did it just feel that way?
I'm pretty sure they each had a different lead designer, at least. Anton was in charge of R&F and NFP, while I believe that Ed Beach was in charge of GS.

Maybe they can combine one day to give me Assyria and Renaissance Italy. :mischief:

Top Bottom