Looong delay in advisors popup: solution

Aristos

Lightseeker
I had to share this because it was one of my few pain in the ashes when playing BTS: the long delay when any advisor is called (and diplo contacts, for that matter).

I found a tip by accident, and it worked like a charm.

Go to My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword

Open the CivilizationIV.ini file with Notepad.

Go to a line that looks like this:

; Dont show the game background during movies - may speed up movie playing
HideMovieBackground = 0

and change that 0 to 1.

What you did is disabling the background when any type of new window is called: advisors, diplo contacts, etc.

The popups are almost instant again after this.

Enjoy!

I had to share this because it was one of my few pain in the ashes when playing BTS: the long delay when any advisor is called (and diplo contacts, for that matter).

HideMovieBackground = 0

and change that 0 to 1.

What you did is disabling the background when any type of new window is called: advisors, diplo contacts, etc.

Enjoy!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

You may have mild winters and mild summers, but you both live on a fault line!

:EARTHSHAKING: :crazyeye:

Why isn't this set to 1 by default?

Because it never used to be an issue before, with either vanilla or Warlords. Something changed in BtS to cause that lag, otherwise you wouldn't need to turn the backgrounds off. Hopefully they'll fix it in the final patch.

You may have mild winters and mild summers, but you both live on a fault line!

:EARTHSHAKING: :crazyeye:

Not really, the main fault line is about 100 miles of the coast of the island. It's not like San Fransisco and area. If it ever goes off we'll get a pretty good rattling but it probably shouldn't be that devastating. We'd no doubt have to worry more about a Tsunami than the quake itself.

HideMovieBackground = 0

and change that 0 to 1.

Enjoy!

Or, you can just choose medium level graphics from the options menu! This is exactly what happens.

Victoria, BC. Normally I'd brag about being in the California of Canada but we've been having a really crappy spring this year. Lots of cool days and rain.

I know. I'm there. Langley, BC.

Tell Al Gore to stick his lies (and his Nobel prize) wherever the sun does not get to... which is everywhere here in BC. :lol::lol::lol:

Or, you can just choose medium level graphics from the options menu! This is exactly what happens.

No it's not. I usually run on medium level graphics and I had to take the extra step of changing my ini in order to get rid of the lag. Medium level still shows the background, it just makes it so that it's not as clear as on high. You need to turn it right off so you get only a black screen whenever a diplomatic screen or any other comes up.

Victoria, BC. Normally I'd brag about being in the California of Canada but we've been having a really crappy spring this year. Lots of cool days and rain.

absolutely love Victoria, when i lived on the coast, everett washington we used to launch the boat and cruise up to san juans and victoria on a regular basis. 300 miles inland now. cold wet and crappy here too

NO it ends that lil deley when you activate a advisor menu
It sucks if in a game with 16 civs yer going round the table to strike all potential deals (whats needed to be competitive cuz AI automatically does this)
and you get a small deley every time. its very tedius and over 2 years of play might take an entire day away!

Some who have not played civ3 don't know the differnce so understand that in Civ3 response was instant and you could make 20 deals in 30 seconds if you wanted.

SO This is one major improvemet One Ive been waiting for before I bought the bargin bin priced copy of BTS from any dept store

Not sure, new patch may void this so I will still have to wait for that.

NO it ends that lil deley when you activate a advisor menu
It sucks if in a game with 16 civs yer going round the table to strike all potential deals (whats needed to be competitive cuz AI automatically does this)
and you get a small deley every time. its very tedius and over 2 years of play might take an entire day away!

well TA, let me give you another beautyful piece of info you'll love:

Get the BUG mod. It does not altere gameplay (hence the name BUG: BTS Unaltered Gameplay), but it ads a lot of information that in vainilla is there, but as you said, you "have to go around the table" to see it.

In BUG, it is organized and included in much improved advisor screens. As you said, to remain competitive in Monarch+, you need to have BUG.

Do a quick search in this forum for it, it has its own subforum. The latest version is a gem.

You're welcome! ;)

Thanbks felow canuck. Unfortunalty I have to sit on the sidelines and watch the improvements a coming as I wait for the patch. I only have the vannila game and no love has been given to that peice of kit. IM playin civ3 till BtS goes cheepy!

Thanbks felow canuck. Unfortunalty I have to sit on the sidelines and watch the improvements a coming as I wait for the patch. I only have the vannila game and no love has been given to that peice of kit. IM playin civ3 till BtS goes cheepy!

not yet a canuck... officially. Still an immigrant. But soon... anyways, I value this country more than many of them do (no offense, it's true... they sometimes seem to take everything for granted... as I use to say to my wife, there is a huge need for a "world tour" around here, if you know what I mean).

But I love the country. Where are you from? And where are you?

Top Bottom