LotR Series...

The game of Civ IV, she is mine! :woohoo:

Aside from some strange graphics glitch on the first map I tried, it seems to be working okay. Is it too late to sign up for LotR <whatever number we're at> ?

Signed up so far (# of LotR games recorded):
Arathorn (16)
Speaker (2)
grahamiam (0)
Arizona_Steve (3)
Reagan (3)
Jaffa Tamarin (2)

grahamiam is the odd man out at this point -- sorry, the next game will be open to all. Roughly 30 hours until sign-ups close.

Update on my first game. Diplomatic victory won the race. I was less than 10 turns from cultural and space as well. I was SO FAR ahead I'm thinking about jumping up 3 levels for my next solo game. LotR16 will run Prince (one level above the even difficulty). I think we'll all be fine.

My opinions on automation... The governor isn't quite as dumb as he used to be and I might allow him some in later games (though I would tell him to emphasize production and still see 3/1/6 squares picked over 1/4/0 squares (food/hammers/commerce) -- and I had excess food). The workers on the other hand, are still stone cold idiots. Irrigating everything in sight -- over towns I had grown to 7 commerce and destroying pastures (WHY?). Killed production and grew my cities to bad health (not a big deal) and unhappiness (a very big deal). I experimented with that and NEVER AGAIN!

@Jaffa -- Nice to have you on board! Not quite "Daring Deity" this time, though. Not yet, anyway....

Arathorn

Just confirming -- I was very persistent yesterday and finally got the guy at Circuit City to go in the back and get me a copy of the game. So . . . I have it now.

LotR16 roster:
Arathorn
Speaker
Arizona_Steve
Reagan
Jaffa Tamarin

Game will start on Halloween (but Oct. 31st where?). Everything will be random, but standard size, continents, Prince, and Raging Barbs, just for something to do.

Arathorn

The workers on the other hand, are still stone cold idiots.
:eek: another of the glorious claims has gone done the drains

ThERat said:
:eek: another of the glorious claims has gone done the drains

I never claimed the workers were brilliant. I control all of my own workers manually. It's the city governors that have made huge strides.

(Actually, the workers -are- better, too. But they have a certain strategic lean, which is generally commerce-heavy, while human players can choose more widely.)

- Sirian

Sirian said:
I never claimed the workers were brilliant.
I don't think I ever read claims from you, I was refering to those preview guys from gamespot etc. and IIRC Firaxis developers themselevs

LotR16 is started. We're on an island by ourselves, but we have some resources. I think we'll be OK if we don't get TOO far behind in tech vs. the larger continent. Anyway, it's a game going. My current solo Monarch game is won; it's just a matter of how -- I'm probably going to play around with more modern military, to see how it goes. Emperor looks quite doable, but....

LotR17 Dueling Deity
Difficulty Level: Deity

(all the below is my thoughts as of now, but I'm quite flexible -- it's a starting proposal, not a ruleset)
Map size: Small
Map features: Mirror, Reduced Peaks
Mirror Type: Random
Start Separated, but I don't think that will matter -- no teams will be set.
Landmass type: Random (I'd prefer Oceanic for safety, but I want to leave the fear of the AI in our early builds)
Civ: Random
Opponent Civ: Random
Most other things: Default settings
Win Condition(s): All enabled

This is not "Daring Deity"...not yet. This is "Dueling Deity" -- a 1v1 game to get feet wet, to see a deity foe, to get a feel for being way behind, etc. I'm suggesting we go with a small map (instead of tiny or smaller) to give both civs room to expand. I think that's possible anyway. We might choose to limit our expansion before all the land is filled -- that'd be nice in a way.

If we want to make it a bit easier, we could make Conquest the only win condition. But I kind of want to see how they all play out.

Sign-up requirements:
- Any Civ4 win at any difficulty level (honor system)
- A willingness to get smacked around (hopefully, only potentially)
- Thick skin -- all moves will potentially be questioned. This is a learning game and we'll all be out to explain not only WHAT we did, but WHY.
- Ability to consistently meet 24/48 to claim/play.

Roster:
Arathorn
<open>
<open>
<open>
<open>

Arathorn

Hi,

Arathorn said:
LotR17 Dueling Deity
[...]
This is not "Daring Deity"...not yet. This is "Dueling Deity" -- a 1v1 game to get feet wet,

Is a 1v1 Deity game really easier than a Deity game with more AIs? You cannot trade as well if at all; you won't have friends to drag into wars; and if you are at war you might lack vital resources and cannot trade for them. On the other hand, the tech pace will be slower, and you can found more religions/get key techs/wonders easier - but I don't know if that will be enough compensation.

Not sure if it's easier or harder, just wanted to bring this up...

-Kylearan

It was easier in Civ3. It was the inter-trading that propelled the AIs so far ahead. I don't know whether that will hold true in Civ4 or not. Diplomatically, we won't have to play a guessing game on whom to support. We won't have to worry about two civs hitting us at once. The "total" AI strength is less. I'm not sure whether it will be easier or not, but it's the plan....

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
It was easier in Civ3. It was the inter-trading that propelled the AIs so far ahead. I don't know whether that will hold true in Civ4 or not. Diplomatically, we won't have to play a guessing game on whom to support. We won't have to worry about two civs hitting us at once. The "total" AI strength is less. I'm not sure whether it will be easier or not, but it's the plan....

Arathorn

Deity has only been beaten thus far in Civ4 by attacking early, on tiny or small maps, with at most two opponents starting on the same landmass. One was a conquest win, the other a spaceship win by a single turn, after wiping out one civ early and befriending the other who started on the same continent.

Don't even fire up Deity on large Highlands with nine civs. (Seriously. Don't. :lol: It... will... get... UGLY!)

- Sirian

this is far over my head (only win was noble but it was a breeze and I really just wanted to familiarize myself with the tech tree), but I'll give it a go. I've thought about this for a bit, and I think it'll be a good learning experience in regards to developing civ4 tactics wrt to war and tech research, even if it gets ugly. plus, me and ugly go a long ways back ;)

As for a civ, instead of Random, should we try an agressive one? (well, we could use something in our favor :lol: )
That would be:
Aztecs - Monty, Spritual
French - Napoleon, Industrious (could fit well)
Greece - Alexander, Philosophical (another possibly good fit)
Inca - HC, Financial
Japan - Toku, Organized (would prefer to avoid)
Mongolia - Genghis, Expansive (additional health would be good at this level)

Subscribing. Not skilled enough in Civ4 for deity play, so don't know if I'd be a good match for game #17. Keep me in mind if you need that last player. I'm certain I'll make the game a challenge for the others involved.

I would be willing to give this a try but to be realistic I would say pick an Archi Map and a finacial civ which should be powerful. Also I'd suggest cutting out barbs (not important but I've always hated them and it would help with expansion). But really I just beat emperor in a space race and it felt like diety/Sid hybrid in civ3 (on a side note I should have lost this as Ceaser was ahead in techs and should have launched, of course I did have more powerful production cities:D ).

Signed up so far for Dueling Deity:
Arathorn
grahamiam
Mark1031
<open>
<open>

Requests for Financial and Oceanic heard. I'm fine with that.

Do we want to allow Conquest as the only victory type, too? Once the tech tree is done, it'll all be about units and units. I've been able to keep a better than 3:1 kill ratio in my games so far, so we'd probably win if we could finish the tech tree, but it'd be a long slog.

One other thing to note. I don't expect to win this game! Back in the Civ3 days, I beat deity solo (a few times) before playing a deity SG. Not so in Civ4. This game will probably be an exercise in public humiliation. If you don't want that, I understand. But "It's way above my head" shouldn't be an excuse. It's way above MY head and I'm sponsoring the game, for crying out loud. :)

Arathorn

I'd prefer all victories enabled. We will need to keep up in research anyway (main reason for financial) or the AI will come crush us with more advanced units and I think we might be able to eek out a space victory. Taking out the diety AI militarily scares me as they are quite improved in battle although it would be fun to try out naval warfare.

Top Bottom