LotR10: Scouting Sid

Played on [c3c] 1.13b

Phew, these turns took me all day to play (not a bad way to spend my last day of winter vacation), and well, it's not over yet...
By the way, those Jet Fighters are some tough SOBs. If they have them, your bombers die.

IT- Following the great turns by Arathorn, I hope to advance us half as far as he did.

First things first, let's see if I can do something about our bleak tech situation. I send word to our spy in Istanbul that he should make all haste to steal the secrets of Synthetic Fibers (1), and he is successful. Isabella is happy to buy Synthetic Fibers from us for 11,215 gold and 7gpt (she was insulted by any tech offer). This is market value, however, and will finance more tech steals. So I send word to the spy that we need him to steal Space Flight (2) and Satellites (3), but he should be a little more careful about it this time. Twice again he succeeds. Having made 3 successful tech steals, I decide not to press my luck any further.

I have chosen Satellites over Fission in the hopes that one of the other backward nations (Mongols, Aztecs, Hittites) can develop it for us). I gift the Mongols Motorized Transportation, Amphibious War, and Radio, in the hopes that they can help us out in trade, and so they can more effectively war with the Spanish. The longer the Spanish stay at war, the less likely they are to launch. Temujin is now polite with us as well. I gift Atomic Theory and Ironclads to Portugal and Henry is now Gracious.

Arnhem can now switch over to Modern Armor, due in 1 turn.

*hit enter*

Mongols declare war on the Ottomans.
Hittites declare war on the Ottomans.

Why is this, you might ask?

ICBMs level Arnhem, Utrecht, and Harlingen, severing our Rubber and causing a huge amount of damage.

Amsterdam riots, but scroll ahead fixes everyone else.

The Ottomans capture our Spy in Istanbul.

1530AD (1): The ICBMs have caused War Weariness to kick into the mid to high 20s. Replanting a spy in Istanbul does not work. This may be tough with them in Communism. I'm pretty sure they only had 3 ICBMs though, remembering the look I had at their troops last turn. Workers go to work cleaning up the damage.

The Hittites are being a serious pain with their troop placement near Hiversum. I move out a Cavalry and a few Mech Infantry for future city captures.

The Marine who razed Yekaterinburg hops back on the transport, which heads south with cruiser/destroyer cover, to reach Uskudar as soon as possible.

I finally start to develop attack plans, and immediatley lose two bombers to Jet Fighters. Jet Fighters have an attack of 8 and Bombers have a defense of 2, so if we keep bombing this is going to be a slaughter. With the whole rest of the world declaring on the Ottomans, I think it might be a good idea to wait a few turns to let them move some troops elsewhere, and to move some of our own into positions of attack. Meanwhile, I move half of our Bombers to Hilversum.

IT- Hittite troops move out of our way, now that they are at war with the Ottomans.

Portuguese offer MPP and RoP and I decline.

Ottomans kill our redlined horseman with a Modern Armor and capture an artillery.

Spain and Aztecs sign peace.

1535AD (2): "A propaganda campaign in Den Helder has upset its citizens." I was wondering why it rioted during the IT when I checked every city 3 times and that explains it. I can't say I've ever seen that before.

Transport and protection moves into Aztec waters and I sign a RoP with them.

Rubber is reconnected and roads are built all around Arnhem.

I take a chance and do a safe steal from the Spanish (we are supplying them 2 lux and oil, so I don't think they'll declare), since we cannot place a spy in Istanbul for a few turns, and we are successful. I steal Miniaturization (4), on the way toward Robotics, still hoping to get Fission through trade. Or, am I feeling lucky? I attempt another steal and succeed and get Fission (5).

All we need for space is:
1) Nuclear Power
2) The Laser
3) Robotics
4) Superconductor
We will also need to be unmobilized to start building the parts and the Apollo Program.

The Spanish have Superconductor, the Ottomans have Superconductor and Nuclear Power, and the rest of the world is way behind.

Uranium is exposed. We have one next to Utrecht, but outside of the blast radius, so it is still hooked up. The ottomans have only one, on the edge of their borders, near Smolensk. I lose a bomber trying to bombard it, and then send a Kamikaze Cavalry on a pillage mission and he succeeds.

IT- Hittites clear the road for us.

Ottomans don't even kill our pillaging Cavalry! He is attacked by a TOW and redlined, but retreats and is not followed!

Aztecs land a few Tanks near Ottoman cities.

1540AD (3): Propaganda is used on Zwolle and the city doesn't even riot. :smoke: From the looks of it, Edrine has been hit by a nuke. Most of the rest of the world unfortunately does not have the ability to build ICBMs and I don't feel comfortable gifting them Rocketry, Space Flight, Fission, and Satellites. Remembering now that Uskudar is not coastal, I need figure out a way to get a few more troops on the boat that is already on the Aztec southern coast.

Dordrecht's worker creates an airfield, which is more valuable at this point than a mine. I build two airfields in the northern tundra. Transports move two Mech Inf from Hilversum to Leerdam, without them moving, and then they hop on the airfields and airlift down to Dordrecht.

I use some more creative transport use to create virtual rails, allowing me to move several artillery pieces, the settler, and our infantry army near Moscow. If we can take Moscow, it will allow us to finally get in range of Uskudar.

Meanwhile, I set our three best shield producers on ICBM production :eek: (set to battleships for Mobilization help)

IT- Ottomans bomb our army a couple times, but no major damage.

1545AD (4): Plant an agent in Istanbul. The Ottomans have 2 fighters, 23 jet fighters, 3 bombers, 54 TOW, 12 modern armor, and 61 mech inf, and their navy is 10 destroyers and 1 transport. They also have a couple cruise missiles. And they're now in Communism.

I Trade the Aztecs Synthetic Fibers for 184gpt and 465gold. Not bad scratch for a backward nation.

Attack on Moscow
1) Bombard the TOW Radar Tower down to 1 hp. Cavalry takes it out.
2) Lose a couple Bombers and then the fun starts.
3) It turns out the City has 3 garrisons--2 Vet and 1 Conscript Mech Inf, each of which are redlined, but not killed.
4) A half dozen jet fighters are caught on the ground and slaughtered.
5) 3 Mech Inf attacks later, and 1 hp lost, and Moscow is ours.
Moscow falls.
We "liberate" 1751 gold and pick up the Pyramids.
And Raze it to the ground!

Using transports I bring in 2 more Mech Inf, 3 regular Infantry, and a Marine.

I use a captured Ottoman worker to build an airstrip next to the ruins of Moscow and airlift in a couple more infantry.

Most of the original Aztec continent has been taken by the Ottomans. They have one city left there. Hopefully I can still sneak our ships by.

IT- Kill 3 Modern Armor, retreat another, and lose 1 Mech Inf.

Another propaganda campaign "upsets" the citizens of Zwolle.

1550AD (5): Found Uskudar's Bane next to the ruins of Moscow, on the last row of the Uskudar range. It is defended by an Infantry Army, 4 Infantry, 4 Mech Infantry, 1 Marine, 2 Cavalry and is supported by 6 artillery pieces. I also rebase all our two dozen Bombers. Rush barracks in Uskudar's bane.

Our agent in Istanbul manages to steal another tech and I choose Nuclear Power (6). Spain won't trade Superconductor for Nuclear Power? She won't even trade it if I add 600gpt (not that I actually would have made this deal, but I just wanted to check). What sense does this make? Why is Superconductor @3rd worth so much more than Nuclear Power @3rd? Must be the Sid discount (tm).

1) The Laser
2) Robotics
3) Superconductor
We will also need to be unmobilized to start building the parts and the Apollo Program.

Arnhem is back up to size 11 after some Russian workers are added.

War weariness goes up and I have to raise luxuries to 30% and MM a bit.

Renew our Furs deal with Spain, and save 10gpt. Sign a RoP with the Mongols to move our ships through.

IT- Ottomans use one bomber who doesn't hurt us and bring a few Modern Armors to the party.

IMDB in Amsterdam is sabotaged, but I don't think it worked because the shield box is not empty--or sabotage does not clear the entire shield box.

1555AD (6): Bombard one of the MA down and then kill him with a Mech Inf. Kill another with two bombers still in the north. Renew our silks deal with Spain. Cancel our Oil deal. They have nothing to give. Upgrade a couple Infantry in Uskudar's Bane to Mech Inf. I think the city is pretty safe for now. Rush two ICBMs. Use a Destroyer to kill an Ottoman Cruiser who was menacing the shores near Leerdam.

IT- Kill a Modern Armor, lose a Mech Inf. Walls will be done next turn. Lose our Spy in Istanbul.

1560AD (7):

ICBM is dropped on Uskudar

A few bomber attacks later, it is empty.

With all the remaining bombers, I take out as many roads as around Uskudar as possible. The area northeast of Uskudar is reduced to rubble, with those new bomb craters. Kill a Modern Armor who was left next to Uskudar's Bane.

Drop the second ICBM for good measure, decimating the roads on the other side of Uskudar and land our troops next to Uskudar.

IT- Renew Wines deal with the Hittites.

Ottomans lose 2 MA at Uskudar's Bane. They kill one of our Mech Inf in range of Uskudar, but we are left with 1 Mech Inf and 1 Marine.

1565AD (8): Redisconnect the Ottoman source of Uranium and also get their Oil while I'm at it.

Capture Uskudar.

Plant an agent in Istanbul. Steal another tech from the Ottomans, taking the Laser (7).

And that's it for the war. I hope you won't begrudge me (Bam-Bam), but with only a single Mech Inf and Marine defending Uskudar, I take peace and pick up 710 gold.

1) Apollo Program
2) Robotics
3) Superconductor (available from Ottomans or Spanish)

I sign RoP with everyone but the Ottomans. They are all polite and the Hittites are gracious.

Amsterdam switches to the Apollo Program, due in 4, and our other big shield producers switch to ICBMs as prebuilds for ship parts. Arnhem rebuilds its lost Factory. I get rid of most of the luxury tax and order up some Commercial Docks and wealth.

*hit enter and hope for a vote*

IT- Someone steals our military plans. :rolleyes:

1570AD (9): And there is no chance for a vote. Hopefully there will be soon. Rush a library in Uskudar, hoping to expand borders quickly.

*hit enter and hope for a vote*

IT- Watch the Aztecs capture a Mongols city.

1575AD (10): And there is no chance for a vote. It's painfully expensive, but I rush a University in Uskudar, and the borders will expand next turn. Hopefully that will remove most of its chance of flipping. After that I guess we'll want to rush some military units if we can afford it.

Conclusion- Stole 7 techs (we have some serious spies), and captured Uskudar. Hopefully it won't flip and we can win this game. If it does,

1) Apollo Program (due in 2)
2) Robotics
3) Superconductor (available from Ottomans or Spanish)
4) A bunch of parts

But I'm sure we will have a UN election before that. I would not risk a tech steal for at least 5 turns, at least until we have built most of the parts we currently have the technology for, and definitely not from the Ottomans since they would likely take the city back. We can use prebuilds for the other parts until we get the last two techs we need. I would suggest waiting because there's got to be an election within the next few turns. Sorry Bam-Bam for not leaving you anything to bomb, but I have a feeling you're going to get something a bit better than that.

Sid Defeated?

Looks like the plan is coming to fruition! Great game all looking forward to the next post. that first steal was certainly the lynch pin to enabling the further successes. Great going again!
Sid who?:hammer:

Great turns, Speaker. :hammer:

We had some major pRNG luck with the tech steals! Now the big questions loom: Do we even want to hold a UN vote? What about abandoning Uskudar and zapping the UN (so we don't have to worry about flip risk)? :eek: Having made peace with the Ottos, we won't be able to sign alliances, etc., with the other civs to improve relations nor will we be able to re-take Uskudar if it flips. How confident are we that we'll win the vote? My inclination is growing more and more strongly towards a space race victory.

If we go with a UN vote, who will be our opponent? If it's anyone but the Ottos, perhaps we should sign the world up against them in a war (if possible).

I think we will definitely win the vote and it might not even be against the Ottomans. The Hittites have passed the Ottomans in population. There has been so much warring this game, with us wholly absent from it. We have polite relations with everyone, but the Ottomans. I see no reason to raze the UN. The Ottomans will never hold a vote, especially since they are at war with the entire world, and keeping it is no skin off our back. I strongly advocate holding the vote.

Wow :)

These last 20 turns have been amazing... reminds me of RBE2.

And a lurker question- when war weariness is in say in 30's, how is that measured? Is it done by clicking on an unhappy citizen and seeing what percentage of his problems are to do with war?

Thanks, and best of luck for the rest of the game
Improviser

Wow. Lots of heavy lifting done by the last two leaders, Sid-Arathorn and Sid-Speaker. I'm beginning to wonder if there is any fun left, with Speaker not even leaving one ragged smelly Ottoman to bomb. What is a "just here riding on the coattails of all these great players" leader to do? Is it even worth removing my "precious" GalCiv disc from the machine, dusting off the C3C disc, patching to 1.13b, and learning what these keys do again??

[editor's note: Let's not hear about how either Skyfish or Gothmog plays at the bottom of the curve for this team--we all know who the laggard is, ok :p]

Ah, but there is promise of Glory, and I would not want to let the amazing work of Arathorn and Speaker (and the rest of the boys for that matter) go to waste.

Load save, notice that Speaker left me a regular infantry to move--:goodjob: thanks, buddy! He runs off to an airport--waiting for a transport to knowwhere. Apollo due in two, everyone polite. Lots of craters and icky, sticky pollution all over the place. Hey, we didn't start lobbing the nukes, ok? Let's not talk about that, ok?

Press end turn. Spain and the Mongols decide to give peace a chance. Lots of AI ship movement, and Ottoman tanks spinning their treads in the orange goo.

1580 AD (1)

Complete a setter, give him the year off. Clean up some pollution and rerail and remine a bit. Our lone non-fortified regular infantry (aka Speaker's token military move for Bam-Bam) gets liberty for another year. A coal plant completes--ICBM pre-build. Send a couple of destroyers and the MOVE transport back to our waters via the Aztec intercoastal waterway.

Isabella gets snooty at the mere suggestion of trading our Nuclear Power for their Superconductor. Ok, what ever you say, Izzy. Go Maglev yourself. Press end turn, and here's what we see.

Yeah, what the heck. There was some reason we double-nuked that city, right?

Speaker, good call on who our opponent would be. We are truly loved by (almost) all.

That says it all. One last slide....

Best 6532 I've had the pleasure to earn (even if it is to set the table for the heavy hitters). First score in my C3C HOF, and I couldn't think of a better way to start if off. Thanks for a great game folks. We beat Sid despite playing with all the bugs for 90% of the game. GREAT WORK! :goodjob:

By the way, here is the save from the turn before the victory!

Sid's Declawed

BTW Speaker--thanks for letting me post the victory. You could have easily played out the remaining two turns. Classy move. Nice to play with such a talented and classy bunch.

[dance] Sweet! Thanks for letting me tag along with y'all! [dance]

I've been through some harrowing SGs (most notably, the Defiant Chinese and the Naked Vikes), but this one takes the cake. What a blast.

Wow - great game! :groucho:

:jump: :D :jump:

Great game ! Super comeback !
Thats definitely one of the best ones we had :) ..and makes up for some previous LotR defeats ;)

ps : Nice to see you lurked here Sir Pleb and I really hope you will join us in one of our SGs one of these days !

Impressive! Nuking Uskudar and then holding the vote :) Have to love that one!
And in addition; a GREAT READ! Thanks:goodjob:

I guess Firaxis have to patch in a Sid Vicious level to stop a team like you…

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a team!!! What a great game! What fun! It was pretty bleak there for a while, but the "never say die" attitude we've all built up over the previous games comes to our rescue. And we beat the sucker!

Add one more notch to the belt.

@The Team: EVERYBODY (and I mean it) did their part, with micromanaging, getting us through the initial dogpile, fighting uphill, catching up in techs, keeping the empire running smoothly (if not 100% flawlessly, but who can do that?), and having fun with spirits positive. I couldn't ask for a better group to play with. And who can argue with the result? Kudos to all.

What fun!!!! I'm still just giddy about this.

Arathorn

Originally posted by Datsekkar
Nuking Uskudar and then holding the vote :) Have to love that one!

Thanks for your comments, Datsekkar. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Your note about throwing nukes and then holding the UN vote goes to the heart of my concerns about our choice of victory condition. I was really tired at the time I made my post about ditching the UN and going for a space victory, so I failed to post my reasoning behind that. Apart from the fact it would have been really fun to grind the AIs' faces in the mud by beating them to a space victory, I was concerned that our having nuked the Ottomans may have soured our relations with other countries. I have never nuked anyone before so I had no idea what, if any, effect it would have on our rep. Does anyone know the mechanics behind this? Does it matter that we threw retaliatory nukes at someone the world hated? Does nuking not impact relations at all (apart from having the world declare war on the aggressor)? Bamspeedy's article about AI attitude doesn't mention nukes. Any help he or others can offer regarding this would be appreciated.

IMHO, I think nuking does affect relations with other civs, but if you have all civs at war with another civ, then you are free to nuke them, without them declaring war on you. I'm not sure but I think there may be a reputation hit after peace is made with the dogpiled enemy civ.
However, I'm not sure how much of this information is correct, it has all been obtained 2nd hand off other sources...

Improviser

Top Bottom