Luckiest Nation Ever?

privatehudson said:
Wouldn't the indigenous population have something to say about the whole "never been invaded" with regards to Australia? ;)

Unless you want to use the "as a country" argument, in which case since Australia has only existed a very short time in that context compared to say Sweden, it's rather a small point, especially when one counts how many times anyone's bothered to even try and invade Australia ;)
Japan officialy declared war on Australia in WWII.

Britian. I repeat all the beforesaaid reasons. And they're so lucky. They go in when everyone else is and the opponent is weak. WWII? Let Germany defeat France, then let's go and get it back. The Napoleonic wars? We'll fight you to the very last Prussian!

Lord Gideon said:
The Napoleonic wars? We'll fight you to the very last Prussian!

They did get a little more involved than that lol. In any case, it was their ability to bankroll practically the entire Allied effort that ensured Napoleon's defeat.

Lord Gideon said:
Britian. I repeat all the beforesaaid reasons. And they're so lucky. They go in when everyone else is and the opponent is weak. WWII? Let Germany defeat France, then let's go and get it back. The Napoleonic wars? We'll fight you to the very last Prussian!

:cool:

So true though! The English/British have managed to get through centuries of European turbulance by going through 3 simple steps:

1. Tough it out alone on Great Britain for a while. Build up forces. Mobilise industry and people. Create alliances with chums far away.

2. Take out enemy's navy and/or air force.

3. Invade Europe. Using mainly other nation's armies of course. Then as quickly as possible break the continent back up into small nations. Leave.

Repeat after 50 years of "peace".:crazyeye:

^^ Three words:

Mengistu Haile Mariam

Lord Gideon said:

Sorry no.
Before you start spouting out such random tosh, perhaps you would like to read some history.

Firstly
They go in when everyone else is and the opponent is weak. WWII? Let Germany defeat France
Is it just me or did Britian declare war on Germany when they invaded Poland and stood WITH France against Germany.

Will continue later off out.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
What about Mariam? I was talking about Menelik II

You were talking about Ethiopia.

Ancient Grudge said:
Sorry no.
Before you start spouting out such random tosh, perhaps you would like to read some history.

Firstly

Is it just me or did Britian declare war on Germany when they invaded Poland and stood WITH France against Germany.

Will continue later off out.

Okay, that comment I made wasn't for historical accuracy. I was just joking around a bit. Take it easy. And you have to admit that they let France take most of the damage, then started fighting, before the Germans started bombing England.

Lord Gideon said:
Okay, that comment I made wasn't for historical accuracy. I was just joking around a bit. Take it easy. And you have to admit that they let France take most of the damage, then started fighting, before the Germans started bombing England.

Sorry the BEF was it, we had a small but highly professional army, we couldnt really take that much damage with the channel and the british navy, you know.

The British army was in no state after the French campaign to preform any kind of operation. Look at the plans for the defence of the UK and what crappy fortifications were erected. Which shows we fought hard in France.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
My vote goes to Ethiopia. I mean, they beat a modern European power on the battlefield, fair and square. Granted, it was the Italians, but still, it was a spearman vs rifleman scenario, where the only place a spearman could win is in CIV, and he won in real life!
Ethiopia was the only one who started to rapidly develop their military before the Imperialists came. They imported Gatling cannons and rifles and stuff, and fought and beat the Italians with modern weapons.

My vote goes to Britain.

English Channel saved them from The Spanish Armada, The French in the 100 years war, Napoleon, Ravaging German armies in WWI, Hitler, etc.

Russia is kind of in the lucky/unlucky type.

Conquered from behind by the Mongols, and slaughtered in WWI, and the famous Russian Winter saved their butts from Napoleon and Hitler.

Bluemofia said:
Ethiopia was the only one who started to rapidly develop their military before the Imperialists came. They imported Gatling cannons and rifles and stuff, and fought and beat the Italians with modern weapons.
Don't forget Dahomey.

France aquired it as a colony in 1892, after it's largest military campaign in Africa (3500 French troops vs. 12.000 Dahomeans).

But the king of Dahomey had profited from the surpluses from Western wars and could arm his troops with modern rifles (Winchesters and Chassepots) and machineguns (French Reffyes w. 400.000 cartridges to expend on the French). It wasn't enough to stop the French but military modernisation was the order of the day.

When H.M. Stanley passed through Africa looking for Emin Pascha he had to tread varily around king Kabaregga of Bunyoro and his 2000 modern European rifles (American Snyders mostly).

Dreadnought said:
I agree about Switzerland...peaceful, rich....They were not invaded in WW2
You would have a case if you think of recent history only (say 20th century and later). Before that Switzerland has always been a pretty poor country. And Switzerland hasn't been so peaceful as many people think. Just think of the generations of young swiss that let themself be slaughtered for other people's causes for money (which of course, was one of the results of being a pretty poor country...)

Now if you talk about the luckies nation in the 20th century, I'd have to agree with you, luck certainly favoured us then.

Bluemofia said:
My vote goes to Britain.

English Channel saved them from The Spanish Armada, The French in the 100 years war, Napoleon, Ravaging German armies in WWI, Hitler, etc.

Well your vote shouldn't go to Britain. The Channel by its self would not of stopped any of the above mentioned threats, it was the investment put into the Royal Navy, which frankly wasn't luck, just plain common sense.

see thats why i love switzerland: its constitutionally neutral, theres no reason to invade it because theres really nothing there strateigically, and even if they did the swiss defence plan and fortifications are just so freakin crazy that it jus wouldnt be worth it. im changing my vote from ethiopia to switzerland

Thailand!
What 3th world nation has never been colonized by Europeans? With this the "western value" of "money is better than happyness", came a lot later than in the rest of the world. Isn't luck not about happiness, rather than "best economy" and "best operating army"?

Cheezy the Wiz said:
see thats why i love switzerland: its constitutionally neutral, theres no reason to invade it because theres really nothing there strateigically, and even if they did the swiss defence plan and fortifications are just so freakin crazy that it jus wouldnt be worth it. im changing my vote from ethiopia to switzerland

well, one thing I have to congratulate the swiss army is for their international PR. It's amazing how they still are able to keep up the myth of the "Alpenfestung", the Reduit :) But frankly these fortifications were built in the 60s. Basically the swiss version of the ligne maginot (and we all know how much that one helped ;) ).

Furthermore, these fortifications are all located in the alps...but the majority of the swiss populations lives north of the alps in the plains :lol:

I agree with your first sentence, though. We got no natural ressources (safe water) that are worth taking, so there's really no point in invading us :)

"God, damn Amerika" (c) Thousands of nuked Japan citizens.

USA is the luckiest and the most mean country in world's history.
A country dictating what to do to other countries. It kills people because it thinks, that it has a right to kill people.
I pray for that day, when all combined Europe will teach to an ignorant USA a lesson.
And all US citizens, I think, should carefully watch their government, or one day, a nuclear warhead "Satan" will detonate above a New York. And those silly "Star Wars" will not protect. It is not a Civ4, it is life.

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. Bring your little flames elsewhere - we don't want it here. - KD
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom