MadDjinn's Deity LP - Spain

Long time lurker (since Civ 3).

I decided to take notes and post a quick recap of the opening since the start is considered the most important part.
This is turns 1-58 and contains a war of Roman aggression.
I am not using the Civ shorthand.

Huts contained 20 culture and Archery
Social Policy - Liberty - Collectivism, Republic (Capital was surrounded), Citizenship.

Science - Animal Husbandry, Pottery, Mining, Writing, Calendar, Philosophy, Masonry, Sailing.

Build Orders:
Capital: Scout x2, Monument, worker, Archer x2, Library, Archer x4 National College (in progress)
City #2 - Monument, Library, Scout x2

Notes: Purchased a horse tile near capital when growth hit 3.
Found 1 natural wonder and 1/2 of the city states, and 4 AI's. (Rome - war, Korea, France, China)
1 military ally (via rescued workers).
Lost 1 scout due to inattentiveness (focused on war) and 1 scout and 1 archer to barbs.

Thank you for your videos! (and you too Wainy).

nice recap.

Of course, there was also the 'didn't settle in start location' that you should add. It throws off the 'start' by a number of turns.

The extra archers and scouts were only due to the war, and not part of a normal build.

Long time lurker (since Civ 3).

I decided to take notes and post a quick recap of the opening since the start is considered the most important part.
This is turns 1-58 and contains a war of Roman aggression.
I am not using the Civ shorthand.

Huts contained 20 culture and Archery
Social Policy - Liberty - Collectivism, Republic (Capital was surrounded), Citizenship.

Science - Animal Husbandry, Pottery, Mining, Writing, Calendar, Philosophy, Masonry, Sailing.

Build Orders:
Capital: Scout x2, Monument, worker, Archer x2, Library, Archer x4 National College (in progress)
City #2 - Monument, Library, Scout x2

Notes: Purchased a horse tile near capital when growth hit 3.
Found 1 natural wonder and 1/2 of the city states, and 4 AI's. (Rome - war, Korea, France, China)
1 military ally (via rescued workers).
Lost 1 scout due to inattentiveness (focused on war) and 1 scout and 1 archer to barbs.

Thank you for your videos! (and you too Wainy).

nice recap.

Of course, there was also the 'didn't settle in start location' that you should add. It throws off the 'start' by a number of turns.

The extra archers and scouts were only due to the war, and not part of a normal build.
Thank you.

I had already started the notes before I noticed what happened, but I've seen the Diety DoW steamroller plenty of times. I still thought it would be a useful for us learners to know how to prepare and overcome an early rush. Keeping the notes gives me a cheat sheet to survival.

nice recap.

Yeah, I for one had no idea that you could put off a start for so long without serious consequences.

Yeah, I for one had no idea that you could put off a start for so long without serious consequences.

You can put off the start for longer if you want, but you really need to find a quality location. wasting 5 turns to settle in a desert isn't that type of 'quality' location. Getting 2-3 stone/marble and horses/deer definitely works though.

That is, if you move, ensure you have decent production/food mixed tiles and/or plenty of gold to go along with them. Else you definitely will be behind more than just the move.

Thank you.

I had already started the notes before I noticed what happened, but I've seen the Diety DoW steamroller plenty of times. I still thought it would be a useful for us learners to know how to prepare and overcome an early rush. Keeping the notes gives me a cheat sheet to survival.

sub 25 turn warrior spam is always hard countered by archers positioned in cities and with terrain. A quick scout will let you know if you have to get archery ASAP. (a normally 'aggressive' AI being within 10 tiles, or settling directly towards you is the hint)

Of course, if you plant your city on a hill, ensure that there's other hills behind the city, or no forests in front/have a river, else your archers behind the city won't be able to kill anything. :eek:

This is why i love Civ5.

People like you who help me understands the intricacies!

Thanx again for another another LP series.

I've played as Spain a couple times before but abandoned the games both times since i didn't play them right. Basically didn't know what i was doing.

Watching your playthrough i understand their perks a LOT better, and wow, that city with the Barrier Reef is awesome.
I now understand why finding a wonder to settle by is amazing.

Thanks for posting these MD. I've watched all of England and Spain, and it has greatly improved my game.

Thanks for a good LP man. But damn I was annoyed. Noticed pretty early Singapore was taken and you didn't notice. Went on for many turns ;) And why not take the golden age with that engineer at the end there? Would have gotten you a 3 turn (or so) golden age worth 1000gold atleast. Thats a stealth bomber. Well, wouldnt have mattered I think ;)

Thanks again, love the LPs and keep them coming. Whats next? Dunno what conditions I'd want to see, but I would love Arabia!

Thanks for a good LP man. But damn I was annoyed. Noticed pretty early Singapore was taken and you didn't notice. Went on for many turns ;) And why not take the golden age with that engineer at the end there? Would have gotten you a 3 turn (or so) golden age worth 1000gold atleast. Thats a stealth bomber. Well, wouldnt have mattered I think ;)

Thanks again, love the LPs and keep them coming. Whats next? Dunno what conditions I'd want to see, but I would love Arabia!

Yeah, I got very lazy once I started invading Greece. Stealth bombers are just too good.

Singapore - yeah, it's too bad I didn't notice, but it did give me a slightly closer launch pad vs. Monte.

Arabia is already done. ;) So it'll have to be a different one. I'm trying to decide which way to go with it atm.

Good lets play you showed how you can wage war without iron archers XD

Why didn't monthy build spaceships part he was way ahead in tech by you and he even build the apollo project. I honestly thought you lost the game...

It seems the AI isn't good at going for a space victory or even culture victory.

Why didn't monthy build spaceships part he was way ahead in tech by you and he even build the apollo project. I honestly thought you lost the game...

It seems the AI isn't good at going for a space victory or even culture victory.

The AI is completely flawed at getting the Tech VC due to keeping parts hanging around their capital, rather than actually adding them to the space ship. So when nuke-wars break out between AIs, they lose the parts in the first blasts (civilian units).

An AI can actually win by culture, but they need that special mix of 'wonder lust' and minimal expansion (or puppets) to do it. At some point after finishing the last SP needed, they'll have some city start the Utopia Project. Given that it's just a project and not a complex operation, they can eventually stumble into it (I've seen an AI get it ~turn 280 once when I was messing around, so it is possible).

So really, it's just the tech VC that they're 'bad' at finishing. They won't 'beeline' or 'focus' on a VC like a player would, but they can eventually do it.

Besides, when you see the Apollo project get finished - Don't panic - it's still early in the tech tree. If the AI gets to the Future Era, then worry.

The AI is completely flawed at getting the Tech VC due to keeping parts hanging around their capital, rather than actually adding them to the space ship. So when nuke-wars break out between AIs, they lose the parts in the first blasts (civilian units).

An AI can actually win by culture, but they need that special mix of 'wonder lust' and minimal expansion (or puppets) to do it. At some point after finishing the last SP needed, they'll have some city start the Utopia Project. Given that it's just a project and not a complex operation, they can eventually stumble into it (I've seen an AI get it ~turn 280 once when I was messing around, so it is possible).

So really, it's just the tech VC that they're 'bad' at finishing. They won't 'beeline' or 'focus' on a VC like a player would, but they can eventually do it.

Besides, when you see the Apollo project get finished - Don't panic - it's still early in the tech tree. If the AI gets to the Future Era, then worry.

They really should fix that in you're lets play of rome I saw the same problem egypt was way ahead at you in tech he was allready in the modern era but he didn't do anything with it I thought he was going for spaceship but nope.

They really should fix that in you're lets play of rome I saw the same problem egypt was way ahead at you in tech he was allready in the modern era but he didn't do anything with it I thought he was going for spaceship but nope.

yeah, it's the same issues... the AI has an insane bpt (2000+ for Monte near the end) but the player can stay in 'tech parity' with a much lower bpt.

If the AI focused, that 2000 bpt could chew through the beeline techs much faster than being random in teching.

Top Bottom