[MOD] MagisterModmod

I've played 2 games so far with the new version. I haven't found errors yet. I'll keep an eye out for any though.
Both games ran short only because my closest neighbor happened to be the Clan which amassed a larger army that I.
On both occasions he reached Axemen before me. The first, he also had his copper hooked up. I didn't have copper either time.

I know the Grigori are agnostic, but with these new religions added, can the Grigori found and change to any of them?

None of the new religions (except the Matronae) can be adopted as anyone's state religion, Agnostic or not.

I would have to learn a lot more lore about these cults and come up with good units, buildings, and mechanics that work well with that lore in order to flush them out enough to be worthy of being full religions able to become state religions.

I have not blocked the Grigori from founding any of them. Since most are founded (in xml/C++, not requiring python) by wonders that already existed (like Aquae Sucellus, Shrine of Sirona, Library of Oghma, the Bazaar of Mammon, or Prophecy of Ragnarok) and which were never blocked for the Grigori before, I figure stopping them from from doing so would be a huge nerf to the civ.

I am still debating whether I should prevent the Grigori from training any of these religions' disciples. I did not block it in the last release. I may do so in the next, but only if I think of something new to give the Grigori that would make up for the disadvantage of not being able to use their abilities.

One bonus I just gave the new religions is making their presence in a city give a production modifier for certain thematically appropriate buildings. The Unblemished give you half priced Infirmaries or Herbalists, The Laeran Cord gives half priced Libraries and Academies, etc. I also just figured out how the <iGlobalReligionCommerce> and <GlobalReligionCommerce> tags work together, so that the wonders which were converted to founding shrines of the new religions will give extra commerce for every city with the religion present. The Shrine of Sirona will get a lot of culture for spreading the Brotherhood of Wardens, the Bazaar of Mammon will get a lot of gold for spreading the Stewards of Inequity, etc.

In my first game, I founded The Foxmen religion and built the Sylph Search. It moved itself around to each of my cities, which I assume is working as intended. In one way, this was nice as it gave me a culture pop in a new city before my monument was finished building.
Eventually though as I met new neighbors that I had a border with, it migrated over to their side and provided them with that nice +10 culture per turn against my border. Is that part "Working as Intended"?
I didn't realize my production use would be turned against me. ;(

Last edited:
Have a constant stuck loading next turn in my game, here are the logs. Suspect it might be something to do with all the spells and hidden promotions being slung on the Sidar/Balseraph border, but I don't have the energy to hunt these down better (sorry)

Attachments

• BBAILog - [default].txt
    194.8 KB · Views: 53
  • freeze in next few turnsTURN-0316.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Have a constant stuck loading next turn in my game, here are the logs. Suspect it might be something to do with all the spells and hidden promotions being slung on the Sidar/Balseraph border, but I don't have the energy to hunt these down better (sorry)
I have made changes on my end that make the saved game incompatible, and am not sure that it is worth temporarily rolling them back to load your save to help debug.

Judging from the BBAILog, however, my initial guess it that it may have something to do with the Wyvern Riders evangelizing the Cult of the Dragon.

Could you try seeing if the game runs better if you edit CvSpellInterface.py to commend out the contents of def effectCultusDraconis(pCaster): or edit CIV4SpellInfos.xml to delete the line <PyRequirement>effectCultusDraconis(pCaster)</PyRequirement>?

I remember a long time ago having some pretty bad issues when I tried using python to switch units between different art styles. I was thinking that trying to apply an art style that does not have a define for a specific unit type was the problem, but there may have also been something involved in the python art styles interacting poorly with promotion based art styles. I was thinking that including art for every art style would reduce such risks, but I could be wrong, especially since I now realize I did not include art for art styles used for races rather than civs.

It might be safer to just make different units representing the Dragon Fanatics and Wyvern Riders devoted to each different type of dragon, even if that does mean adding 42 new unit types. I could give the cultists of different dragons different perks then, and could still add ways to convert one sort of fanatic to another (such as maybe through the roar of a nearby dragon).

In addition to changing the art for Dragon Fanatics and Wyvern Riders, the effectCultusDraconis code also kills religious unique units that abandoned their religion to serve a dragon and can cause some other units to defect to other civs that have a dragon or a city with the cult of the dragon nearby. I am thinking there may be some issues in implementing such effects through a python prereq. Of course, such problems would likely also be happening with the passive Defrock, Defect to Light,, and Defect to Auric effects.

Tried both fixes, neither worked fully in actually letting the turn load, but both (individually and together) did seem to let the turn process a bit more, so progress?

since I can't add a file with edit, the new log (from using both fixes)

Attachments

44.4 KB · Views: 36
If you cast abundance in a Kuriotate city, and then the caster leaves, the city loses access to the 3rd ring.

Have another waiting on civ on a seperate campaign

Attachments

826.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PythonErr.txt
    238.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PythonErr2.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 32
  • xml.txt
    21.7 MB · Views: 55
In my first game, I founded The Foxmen religion and built the Sylph Search. It moved itself around to each of my cities, which I assume is working as intended. In one way, this was nice as it gave me a culture pop in a new city before my monument was finished building.
Eventually though as I met new neighbors that I had a border with, it migrated over to their side and provided them with that nice +10 culture per turn against my border. Is that part "Working as Intended"?
I didn't realize my production use would be turned against me. ;(

Yes, it is intended for it to potential visit other civilizations. Tali and his followers have no respect for national boundaries.

I changed the code to make it more likely to stay in your cities, and to make mana in the city effect the chances (more Air making it more likely, more Earth less likely), but I'm thinking I may be making it more complicated and inefficient than is warranted.

I've noticed in a lot of my games that the Foxmen spreads quickly and becomes the most popular religion, which is not a great fit thematically for a rather marginal cult. I reduced its base spread rate, but I'm thinking having it move to new cities from which it can spread still makes it spread too fast even if the faith is removed from the wonder's old city when it moves to a city without the faith.

I'm thinking I may simplify it by making it only move to cities where the Foxmen already have a presence. Only letting it move to another city in the same empire would be simpler still. I'll consider it, but doubt I want to go that far.

I decided +10 culture per turn was way too much that early in the game. It only grants +2 now, plus additional commerces for every city in the world where the Foxmen religion is present.

Tried both fixes, neither worked fully in actually letting the turn load, but both (individually and together) did seem to let the turn process a bit more, so progress?

It could be that that code was running slow, but not relevant for your issue.

(Both fixes were just alternate ways to the same code from running, so it should not matter if you use either or both.)

In both logs the last thing listed is a Lizardman's delayed death from python. What is going on with Unit 5865476 at plot: 19, 13? Is it trying to cast a spell? Is some other unit near it casting a spell? What is its UNITAI?

If you cast abundance in a Kuriotate city, and then the caster leaves, the city loses access to the 3rd ring.

I think I've experienced a similar issue in cities with the City of a Thousand Slums, and that it fixes itself after a couple turns. Or maybe it was after reloading a saved game? I don't remember exactly.

I did a quick test with the Kuriotates and did not see the city radius correct itself, so to do so I just added these 3 lines of code in def onCityDoTurn(self, argsList):
Code:
       if not pCity.isSettlement():
           if pCity.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_KURIOTATES') or pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_CITY_OF_A_THOUSAND_SLUMS')) > 0 or pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_ABUNDANCE')) > 0:
               pCity.setPlotRadius(3)

(I wish there was a python call that would be triggered when a building is removed, but since does not exist I had to resort to checking every city every turn and then setting the radius to 3 in python if it is a Kuriotate city that is not a settlement or if it has the City of a Thousand Slums or Abundance present in it.)

When I tested it I saw that strangely the city radius only seemed extended to a single tile of the 3rd ring for a couple turns, but then it all sorted itself out.

Crash between turns
Do you have logs that go with this? I'd rather see if I can get a hint at the cause before rolling back my changes to be compatible with the save so I could test it myself.

In both logs the last thing listed is a Lizardman's delayed death from python. What is going on with Unit 5865476 at plot: 19, 13? Is it trying to cast a spell? Is some other unit near it casting a spell? What is its UNITAI?
UNITAI is attack, and it's just another roaming barbarian on a relatively isolated barbarian island. A casual glance revealed no combat in the area or anything that should be casting spells. I deleted the unit and its stack and ran the turn again, and still got the waiting on other civs.

Attachments

44.5 KB · Views: 34
Related to an earlier conversation, I've been experimenting with advanced start and I've found that it helps immensely with the AI dying out en masse to barbarians, even on diety. As a side bonus, if you like playing packed maps as I do, it also helps space out everyone's spawns so you don't end up with 25% of the map uninhabited while there's five civs on top of each other at start.

Related to an earlier conversation, I've been experimenting with advanced start and I've found that it helps immensely with the AI dying out en masse to barbarians, even on diety. As a side bonus, if you like playing packed maps as I do, it also helps space out everyone's spawns so you don't end up with 25% of the map uninhabited while there's five civs on top of each other at start.
I haven't tried that yet, but it makes sense. The more cities they have, the more likely they will survive.
Yea, distancing is still an issue. I've seen game starts with Bannor and the Clan starting 7 tiles apart. It's guaranteed that one of them will wipe out the other early.
They still have the issue of sending out both of their initial units early and leaving their Capitol empty. So if we come across them, we can conquer their entire civilization with a scout. A bit silly and unchallenging there.

The latter issue with them sending out units is partially why I play on the higher difficulties, as they get more starting units+settlers, which helps cushion them further from early game misplays (though even with giant doom stacks I still see them leave cities virtually undefended, though they're more able to retake them afterwards).

edit: unrelated, but it seems overkill for seed dragons to require neutral and Fellowship of Leaves, unless i'm missing something

Last edited:
"Do you have logs that go with this? I'd rather see if I can get a hint at the cause before rolling back my changes to be compatible with the save so I could test it myself."

No, unless they can be resurrected from the saved files. I have all of the game still saved.

On another note, I had the strangest thing happen,but hopefully you already know about it. If you load the attached file below, you'll see 4 of my players in a row glowing for a promotion that never comes. It's irritating because they wake up every turn no matter what they are doing. I am wondering if Barnaxus taught the mud golems promotions they're incapable of, like battle promotions?

Attachments

• PerNewMag2 TURN-0566.CivBeyondSwordSave
    580.2 KB · Views: 66
I was fighting a branch of the Illians when another branch ran by Auric did the needful and created the White Hand. The awkward thing is, I had made a puppet state out of a border city between me and the neighboring Illians, and now the puppet state I made is both a puppet to me and Auric at the same time. Doesn't seem WAD.

Other bugs: there's no tooltip for steward-rune fighting in the event log
the Undercouncil head is referred to as UN leader in the election popup
I have access to creation mana but no promotions to level into it [no I don't have - modifiers that make it >0, it's at 1 (1+0)]. This might be an issue I've had irregularly on startup where chunks of the xml files seem to have difficulty loading and pop out errors, though I don't recall any for this particular instance.

Semi-related, but 25 civ huge erebuscontinent with advanced start has done wonders for the AI surviving and having a fleshed out world that isn't just 2/3rds barbarian

Last edited:
I have access to creation mana but no promotions to level into it [no I don't have - modifiers that make it >0, it's at 1 (1+0)]. This might be an issue I've had irregularly on startup where chunks of the xml files seem to have difficulty loading and pop out errors, though I don't recall any for this particular instance.
In the civopeadia there are no Creation 1 - 3 promotions, only the Creation affinity. I assume it is as designed and you need to get units with affinity to access these spells.

Semi-related, but 25 civ huge erebuscontinent with advanced start has done wonders for the AI surviving and having a fleshed out world that isn't just 2/3rds barbarian
I'll bet it does. I will have to try it at some point.
I just had concern for the lag time for loading every turn. It must be longer also, especially as you gain sight of the AI's units movements also per turn.
I've been creating standard size maps to keep turn times reasonable. Large size was getting long. ;(

Top Bottom