Mahala's picture

Which picture, new or old?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks to me like it has the blade of an axe with the spike of a warhammer. Basically, yeah, a halberd without the spear tip.

Sorry guys, the picture is awesome but too small.

1) It needs to be stretched at 125% width
2) It needs to be at 512*512
3) Then we use a non-stretched one for the button & banner

I'm still of the opinion that it's actually a halberd without the spear tip (which was the main use of the halberd...). :lol:

An excellent opinion.

I, on the other hand, hold that it doesn't matter what it is for it is clearly a weapon and is made for the crushing of your enemies and to hear the lamentations of there women and/or men.

RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! DOVIELLO SMASH!

*Coughs*

I'm sorry, don't know what came over me.

Great picture, this new one is, by the by.

No problem. I'll see if I can resize, stretch and recrop it without loosing too much of the background.

And on another note I think we can drop the discussion about what the weapon is. I had a larger resolution image of the original painting and it's pretty clear that the artist messed up with the axe/hammer head. If it's a flat axe blade it should be tilted away from the viewer. The perspective and light is all wrong, making it look like the whole weapon is bent or curved.

If I would guess it would be that he/she originally planned for the weapon to look very different but made a mistake somewhere, thus adding the weird flanges and the odd perspective. Perhaps it was simply meant to be a footman's pick (since she is holding it so casually it can't be very heavy) but perhaps it didn't look dramatic enough.

Bah! Enough guesstimation.

Here is the final edit. You need a smaller "face button" version as well right? What's the details for that image?

Edit: Removed and rehosting the image due to download error. Will just take a sec.

Not sure I like the new hue/saturation thing. It looks even darker and less crisp, and I liked that crispy look with the blue night around.

Here is the final edit. You need a smaller "face button" version as well right? What's the details for that image?
64*64, but you need a special "button" overlay. No need to bother with that, I will do it myself ;)

Looks good :goodjob:
And that's okay, I like to work on portraits but I'm not very good at editing pictures like that :)

Thanks Opera. I've made an alternative version that simulates an better light source. Let's say she's standing right in front of a campfire. This should look more crisp and lighted then my first version.

http://h.imagehost.org/download/0812/W-Edit-final2

Yay, looks good :)
I will wait for the others' input on which version to use.

For the record, the only thing stopping me from making a picture of Obi-Wan Kenobi with Mahala's hair and a battleaxe is that I have neither the skill of programs to do it. So if we all just pretend that I had done so and attached it to this post, that'd be nice.

I actually still like the "new" one better. Though of the versions created during this thread, the darker one looks better to me than the second edit with the extra lighting.

Doesn't really matter to me though. I've already changed like half the portraits on my end. I hadn't changed Mahala yet, cause her current portrait looks fine to me, but I would have gotten to it eventually. I don't care about "realism" or "practicality," it's a game about magic and fantasy races, so I'll just assume they've evolved to handle the cold or use some simple magic to keep them warm. So I'll go and find a hot barb chick in a "chainmail bikini" for my game. :p :lol:

Ah, sorry. I just noticed that I was doing the image resize function incorrectly in Photoshop Elements. It's weird how they have it set up - it has a "Pixel Dimensions" and "Document Size" area, with the pixel dimensions grayed out by default. Turns out, changing "Document Size" does absolutely nothing, apparently.

As far as the pictures go I think I like the lighting of the female in the second one and I like the lighting of the sky in the first one. I still have the original .psd files on my computer so it'll be really easy for me to change *just* the lighting of the female. However, that'll have to wait until I get home from work (which I need to be leaving for now).

Does this mean Deirdra's going to get a gal's picture, next? It's been driving me nuts since I first saw the portrait. No matter how pretty the face is, the body is clearly rectangular and there are no hips (the part where the pants/skirt blooms out is too low to be hips)... just draw lines in paint over the body-shape, even.

I like the new pic for Mahlala! I think the darker/shadowed one is a bit nicer, but both are so good that it's not a bad choice either way. :)

Does this mean Deirdra's going to get a gal's picture, next? It's been driving me nuts since I first saw the portrait. No matter how pretty the face is, the body is clearly rectangular and there are no hips (the part where the pants/skirt blooms out is too low to be hips)... just draw lines in paint over the body-shape, even.

I like the new pic for Mahlala! I think the darker/shadowed one is a bit nicer, but both are so good that it's not a bad choice either way. :)

I agree about a new pic for Deirdra. I've never liked her picture. If the makers are willing to change it they should start a new thread and let the community have at it like they did with the Mahala picture. It worked so well with Mahala.

Top Bottom