Mail discussion (split from "Get off my lawn")

Didn't you just read what Cut wrote? The USPS actually relies on the monies from junk mail. Does it suck? Sure, but it also keeps the postal service in the black.

Oh yes. Maybe you're right, Mr Nothin. It might work.

But I feel that companies are so desperate to sell products that they're willing to take any available outlet. And mail companies are so desperate to deliver stuff door to door, they're willing to cover the cost of any such demonstration.

I think the problem of advertizing, generally, is caused by people actually buying the products that are advertized. And I can't see any way out of it.

I don't have a TV and consequently very rarely see a TV advert. And, amazingly, I don't feel half so interested in consumer products as I did when I had a TV. It really has been noticeable to me.

Junk mail, although annoying, isn't anywhere near as pernicious. I believe.

Didn't you just read what Cut wrote? The USPS actually relies on the monies from junk mail. Does it suck? Sure, but it also keeps the postal service in the black.

So by sending their junk back to them, on their dime, I am helping the postal service even more. Hop to it!

A lot of junk mail doesn't have return envelopes. You know, those tons of fliers for sales from all the big box stores and local grocery stores and whatnot.

A lot of junk mail doesn't have return envelopes. You know, those tons of fliers for sales from all the big box stores and local grocery stores and whatnot.

Use them for extra filler in the ones that do.

What some people do here is bundle up their junk mail and send it to their MPs. Mail to Members of Parliament is postage-free.

The main issue I have with my mail is that 80% of it is spammy garbage. This of course means that most of the stuff the mailman has in his bag and in his truck is probably garbage too.

If mailmen were delivering valid mail only, I'm sure we could afford to have door to door delivery still. So.. why are we spending tax dollars to get spam delivered to people's homes? They should be throwing all that junk in the recycling bin, so that we don't have to. If someone wants to mail me spam, let them use fedex.

I won't be affected by the switchover, since I already have to walk to a central mailbox, but I can see how it would affect others rather negatively. Hopefully when it happens, my mailman spends his newly found free time actually making sure that the right letters end up in the right mailslot.. They mess that up more often than they should.

It pays for everything else (or at least that's what they tell us in the UK) without junk the whole thing would go bust.

In Sweden, you can put a sign on your mailbox saying, "Ingen reklam, tack" (which translates as "No advertisements, please"), and the postal service won't deliver any junk mail to you. It's really nice, and a good example on focusing on quality of life (not having to sort through reams of junk mail) instead of doing things cheaply.

It is true that unlike in the U.S., where nearly every small town has its own standalone post office, the Swedish postal service is fairly downsized. They'll rent areas in grocery stores where you can pay for a package to be delivered (or pick one up if one's waiting - you'll get a slip in the mail saying you have a package and can pick it up at this location). But in the end, they keep their costs down so they don't have to deliver junk mail to stay afloat.

Actually, one of the nice things about where I live now is that I've had very little junk mail. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

Tim's up to something with the business reply mail idea, though. All those cable companies that send out tons of junk mail trying to get you to upgrade, whether you're their customer or not? Send it back, and maybe they'll get the point that you don't really want to pay more each month after all.

Top Bottom