[GS] Mali Discussion Thread

My thoughts on Mali and its bonuses (spoiler I really like them)

I think this civ has the potential to be very strong. Play it before the nerf.

I hope the agenda for Mali will be to dislike you if you are poor. I would love to see that insult.

What I find surprising is the lack of praise for the "huge benefits accompanied with big downsides" approach.
Wasn't this exactly what many Civfanatics asked for all the time?
Well, Mali's design features exactly this (alongside with other civs in GS, of course)!

Can we have some cheers, please?

:w00t:

Exactly. People complain when they are giving us what we asked for. Will they be a top tier civ? Probably not. The lack of being able to buy units at the outset will make them risky in mulitplayer and on deity/immortal. Will they offer a unique gameplay experience? Absolutely.

Yup a 20% discount on buying libraries, ampitheaters/other t1 buildings isn't very helpful for the other victory types. Though I can see some unique plays by getting a ton of trade routes and swimming in gold.

You still have to get the Theatre Squares and Campuses, as well as a Spaceport if you go SV. It's not impossible, because all it takes is pumping three promotions into Reina or Moksha, but it's expensive, cumbersome and slow. You still have to complete five projects to win SV too. Patron a GP? Yeah, sure WHATEVER. You can do all these things, but not all at once, and not without putting strain on your economy. The opportunity cost is too great.

They look really really strong if they get a couple desert cities. They will be swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck.

Spoiler :

They won't be nearly as strong on non-desert land and will be weak early on with the production penalty.

Looks like a fun civ. They may be my 2nd new civ to play after the Moari.

Interesting. I am looking forward to try them out.
Until then, I'll withhold my judgement about their real strength. The boni and mali themself are clear enough. How they will turn out in an actual game however ...

One of my first thoughts. A desert civ - and a very low probability to finish 'Petra' in time ...

Just buy a Great Engineer that gives wonder production with faith or gold, you'll be swimming in both of them. Bonus: buying a GPS gives you 3 Era Points if what you pay is at least half the cost.

I'm pleased to see another asymmetric civ design, although this one doesn't cater to cultural Victories like I prefer.
Maybe you find a place in your heart for asymmetric civs that seem to be great for Diplomatic victories as well with GS :)

Maybe you find a place in your heart for asymmetric civs that seem to be great for Diplomatic victories as well with GS :)

I really hated World Congress in Civ V and therefore the diplomatic victory (although I did like it before BNW). So I will have to try it out before I overcome my antipathy towards it.

Certainly not OP

The lack of a strong start will hurt them. But once they get rolling, they should turn out to be at least an average civ. Yeah the lack of getting Petra will hurt them. Their science to get there in time will be hurting since they'll want to concentrate more on holy sites and commercial hubs.

Though honestly I may still build an early campus with them. Otherwise you will really struggle. Will just have to hard build it.

I think he will favor leaders that give gifts, particularly in that disaster aid emergency.

Musa's agenda should be that he wants to have as much money as possible and hates people who a higher income. Maybe gold and faith both. Maybe he likes civs that buy their stuff. Any of those would be great. What the agenda probably will be is "wants to settle in desert and hates people who also settle in desert" :cringe:

It could also be around liking civs that keep away from desert tiles, and disliking civs that crowd him in

Top Bottom