March Patch Notes (formerly february)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never found corporations to be anything but numbers. If I ever wanted to use them how I imagined a corporation would be, I'd find my economy in shambles (no bailout jokes, please).

I do agree about religion and even espionage up to a point.

Just played the patch and noticed a change in the barbarian behavior when they are guarding encapments.

They don't flip back and forth from 50% fortification to 25% every turn anymore. Now you have a much stronger incentive to bring archers or go with Honor.

Always Peace; Checked. :lol:
Civ4/BTS is now gathering dust, Privateers were toooooo annoying. :mad:
Some times i lack the immersion of Espionage, Religion & Corporations. :scan:

We're only one or two expansion packs away from total immersion. This is the price we pay for following a game from day 1 through maturity.:)

Well, since the patch I have to say my turn times have improved a fair bit - maybe around 25% or so. Also, the annoying de-rendering of graphics I was experiencing has been fixed, which is definitely nice.

Buildings are improved since last time I played a fair while ago, and whilst not totally enjoyable yet, it's definitey not mind-numbingly tedious now to empire build.

What's also nice is the 1 extra space we need between cities - there's less instances of the AI building a city in the gap in your empire before it has chance to culturally expand. Unfortunately the infuriating "stop settling near us", when they plonk a city right on your borders is still there.

However the psychotic schizo AI is still there in all it's glory, chain denouncements, millenia long friends, allies and trading partners turning hostile for no discernible reason, in general just acting like unbalanced pricks.

And I can't say I've seen all that much, if any, improvement in the AI's ability to handle war. Sure cities seem a little tougher, but the rest of it feels depressingly incapable of utilising it's armies.

However the psychotic schizo AI is still there in all it's glory, chain denouncements, millenia long friends, allies and trading partners turning hostile for no discernible reason, in general just acting like unbalanced pricks.

And I can't say I've seen all that much, if any, improvement in the AI's ability to handle war. Sure cities seem a little tougher, but the rest of it feels depressingly incapable of utilising it's armies.

Denunciations and DoF's now expire after 50 turns. I've had it happen in three post-patch games.

Addressing the combat AI is slated for a future patch - not this one.

So basically, if you only ever run steam in offline mode, you're never forced to go into online mode and so never forced to update your game. Of course at any point you can choose the online option and then all bets are off as to whether your game will get updated or not.

Don't get me wrong, it *IS* actually useful in a sense that it allows smooth distribution on a large scale. It's even ingenious enough to monitor what, when & why we're accessing an executable on our PCs. Tracking DRM methods are necessary in this day & age of "Illegally" obtained products. We're all better served by such a layer of content management.
But it remains Spyware. Even if for good reasons.

The distinction is essential. I *MUST* use it as a sub-component that initially refused to install a game on my G: Drive and flooded my Internet folder in C:. It decided to handle an installation process in a tricky manner.

Sure, it's User Friendly.
Yes, it is on the PC.

Nowhere near the usual programming context and resources i *MUST* use to mod... i've been wasting Ms-Explorer style acrobatics for weeks just to synchronize DDS and their counterparts, LUA originals and currently editing indented reference codes.

While it could have been; G:\CiV, --- find the file, it's there.
Steam is an Internet device, it belongs in the utility category.
Not development context or areas with folders worth of tools.
OFF-Line or not.

Forgive me but I fail to see how any of that is relevant to what I wrote about. I was attempting to explain that keeping steam in offline mode is a sufficient and least inconvenient way to ensure a game (e.g. civ5) does not get patched. Keeping a computer permanently disconnected from the internet is going over the top i.e. unnecessary.

If you're presenting a reason or reasons as to why it's inconvenient that Steam is required for the game then don't worry - you don't need to convince me.

Denunciations and DoF's now expire after 50 turns. I've had it happen in three post-patch games.

Addressing the combat AI is slated for a future patch - not this one.

They do expire - and the AI several times has reverted to being all friendly with me (again for no particular reason), and then a few turns later is back denouncing me again for my sins. It's totally erratic. I suspect most of the ridiculous AI behaviour is due to the poor, in my opinion, design decision that the AI plays to win - it means diplomacy is pretty much not an option.

As for the combat AI, well, they've supposedly improved that in previous patches already, but I don't really see it, so colour me sceptical when they say they're improving it again.

Moderator Action: This is an English only forum, please type in English only or provide a translation if you feel the need to say something in another language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Also, back on topic...

Actually made me think of an idea. Someone who knows many languages should start a forum topic with a list of what each leader says in their native language and the translation.
Moderator Action: It's not allowed to respond in the public to a moderator action.

And we already have at least 3 threads about this topic.

Well, I'm now seeing some diplomacy. I'm on a fairly large and isolated continent (a few narrow ways in blocked by CS). I've got room to expand without bumping into the AI. I've got Spain and Polynesia nearby and Greece somewhere as well (not sure where exactly).

Spain and Polynesia are friends and have been friendly with me as well. Alexander is a little stronger so they've been declaring war on him.

So far the AI isn't coming after me all the time, although I'm not the front runner.

I'm still keeping the #1 military because I still worry about my "friends" turning on me in an instant.

And what would you describe as 'implemented correctly', and what would be lost?

My own views would simply entail an AI that can handle it, and an actual unit cap. This would not remove anything of worth from the game, IMO, but I hated SoD. I may have gone with a more conservative xUPT instead of 1UPT, were I Shafer, but I still prefer it to SoD combat.

Just to give a different opinion: 1UPT has finally given CIV the tactical depth it needs. The stack of doom was the most annoying things in the older games. I believe that CIV5 is far, far better in this aspect. 1UPT makes the game much more fun and challenging to play.

I like the changes, but huge amount of bugs are killing the game.

I'll try and check it out sometime tonight. Dead on my feet after a doubleshift (I was posting from work :goodjob:), so I promise nothing. :crazyeye:

Any word?

Just to give a different opinion: 1UPT has finally given CIV the tactical depth it needs. The stack of doom was the most annoying things in the older games. I believe that CIV5 is far, far better in this aspect. 1UPT makes the game much more fun and challenging to play.

I agree. I personally wouldn't have gone for 1upt, instead something more flexible (armies, again), but it is VASTLY superior to SoD combat.

Any word?

Woops, sorry.

I can only see one thing in the wiki that might work (I didn't check building xml, as if that exists then it's in the schema and easy for you to check). Unfortunately, it has no example, and I'm not sure that it means what it sounds like.

SetCitySizeBoost(iBoost). Also a GetCitySizeType().

If you're presenting a reason or reasons as to why it's inconvenient that Steam is required for the game then don't worry - you don't need to convince me.

That wasn't my intention.
Civ4_BTS, checked Online for Updates often enough - exactly when & how i needed to.

The DVD boxset stated clearly; Internet connection and acceptance of Steam Subscriber Agreement required for activation.
Done.
But right at this moment... some steam executable is holding on 12252Kbs (on average) worth of active memory and i'm NOT even playing a CiV game.
Going in OFFline mode... yep, 10648K - now.

And Seamonkey, 112000 for typing this reply.
Firewall, 21704.
OS_Explorer, 28216.

Which of those four only should be considered essential assets -- when playing.

Newell got his business cut. Simple as that. Times are changing however inconvenient they can be too, btw.

Just a quick query here - has anyone seen a whale since the patch on a game started after downloading it!? I've now had 3 games on huge maps, even tried "abundant" resources, and specifically gone for the island style map - and not one sighting. Could be a coincidence, but I wondered if the atolls had somehow messed around with them? No idea if that's possible as I have no idea about how the game works. Or maybe i've just had some strange map generations?

Clammo, I had whales in my last game - large size, small continents, with standard resources. So, just must be wacky luck of the draw for you, or a particular map script that isn't whale friendly.

Clammo, I had whales in my last game - large size, small continents, with standard resources. So, just must be wacky luck of the draw for you, or a particular map script that isn't whale friendly.

OK, thanks for that. Maybe as you say, a weird map script then, as I just realised I hadn't seen any pearls either.

You know, one thing I will say... I'm still getting *very* significant wait times between turns on huge maps in multiplayer - pretty much as soon as I start exploring the globe. Like, several minutes per turn. My computer is well over the listed specs as well. Anyone else getting this?

That wasn't my intention.
Civ4_BTS, checked Online for Updates often enough - exactly when & how i needed to.

The DVD boxset stated clearly; Internet connection and acceptance of Steam Subscriber Agreement required for activation.
Done.
But right at this moment... some steam executable is holding on 12252Kbs (on average) worth of active memory and i'm NOT even playing a CiV game.
Going in OFFline mode... yep, 10648K - now.

And Seamonkey, 112000 for typing this reply.
Firewall, 21704.
OS_Explorer, 28216.

Which of those four only should be considered essential assets -- when playing.

Newell got his business cut. Simple as that. Times are changing however inconvenient they can be too, btw.

Why are you even replying to me? I don't disagree with you, and I've seen all the arguments for and against steam many many months ago. I just don't care anymore. It also has no relevance to what I was discussing earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom