Mario or Sonic?

Which one would be more likely to have joined the Waffen-SS?

• Total voters
Why can't one view them as equal parts of nostalgia for childhood. To that end Mario is more classic being that it was founded more in classical/idealistic interpretation of Medieval European society, Sonic is the encapsulation of 90's rebellion against society at large of the time.

Mario 3 on the NES
That was great but I never completed it, maybe I will emulate it and abuse the quick save

The people not reading the question provided an unintentional additional source of amusement for me and others.

Anyway, in answering the question I felt Sonic had more of a fascistic vibe to it, Mario being more fantasy but also at the same time more grounded in reality. Another good and previously oft-overlooked game is MOTHER, which the creator Itoi Shigesato based on his impressions of America; the sequel game EarthBound as it became released in the West expanded on this a little bit, but I find the original game to have more “charm” in capturing the perception of America from the outsider’s view—note too that Itoi was not famous as a game developer, but as a copywriter who had notoriety even before becoming involved in game development.

Now I’m not one of these undergraduate liberal arts students (not anymore!) that will say there was an intentional volkisch allegory put into the games, but the pure and pastoral world set versus the mechanic and industrial Robotnik (as he was then known), I feel like parallels can be drawn to the Third Reich and its caricature of modernity and of the Jewish. Again, to say this would be some kind of intentional narrative set up by the SEGA development team I think would border on crazy, so I don’t think that. :)

One Sonic level that really unnerved me was the oil ocean zone.

The smooth music.
The enslaved animals.
The civilization running on a literal ocean of dead ancestors.
The hot baking sun, where the future would only grow hotter.

Only one spark would be needed to set the world on fire.

And yet it felt futile.

Sorry blue guy.
Unlike Barry Allen, this can't be fixed by running faster.

It made me sad. :(

The smooth music.
The enslaved animals.

And yet it felt futile.

Sorry blue guy.

That was sick

Kaitzilla said:

(video)

The smooth music.
The enslaved animals.

And yet it felt futile.
Oh yes, the actual plotline of the Sonic games is often ecological/cosmic horror.

The smooth music.
The enslaved animals.

And yet it felt futile.

Sorry blue guy.

You should see the bad futures of Sonic CD. Blackened skies, sludge filled water, no wildlife, plantlife slowly dying from parasitic machines, but from the music it sounds like a rave is happening (but not in North America).

You should see the bad futures of Sonic CD. Blackened skies, sludge filled water, no wildlife, plantlife slowly dying from parasitic machines, but from the music it sounds like a rave is happening (but not in North America).
That sounds cool. But what does “not in North America” mean?

No questions asked, it's Mario for me.

Back in the day I was a fanatical nintendo fan boy and would never betray my loyalties to sega. Never!!!

Although don't tell anyone, but today I'm a 100% playstation fanboy.

No questions asked, it's Mario for me.

Back in the day I was a fanatical nintendo fan boy and would never betray my loyalties to sega. Never!!!

Although don't tell anyone, but today I'm a 100% playstation fanboy.
You’re a waffen ss fanboy?

Attachments

• 25DE7052-6C1F-4B03-9219-56C054A648AB.jpeg
    25DE7052-6C1F-4B03-9219-56C054A648AB.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 13
I voted for Mario, because Sonic is too much of a freedom fighter to join the SS. Though I would say that since Mario is more of an old-school monarchist and not a fascist, he would be more likely to join a less radical organization like the Wehrmacht.

That being said, I think Shadow is the real candidate for the SS.
Shadow bike.png

Did Sega ever sell well in Europe?
I personally never had a Sega machine; I did own three Nintendo ones (Nes, Snes, Gameboy).

That said, I didn't care for Mario, despite having a few of the games (Super Mario Cart being a highlight).

Did Sega ever sell well in Europe?
The Sega Mega Drive sold 6.8 million in Western Europe, second to Brazil and larger than the rest of the world combined. It's less than the NES, which sold 7.26 million in Europe but the Master System had the lead in the UK, where its main competetion was the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum.

The Sega Mega Drive is the highest selling console in Europe of that generation.

Top Bottom