Mario or Sonic?

Which one would be more likely to have joined the Waffen-SS?

• Total voters
Do consoles play a role now? Back in the day, their point was that there no no loading time and it was a game machine. Games did have a high price (particularly those Nintendo originals).
Games consoles easily outsell PCs here as far as I can ascertain. The Japanese PC software companies really only come out with a few niche products.

Mobile games probably pulling up the rear.

I think SNES won slightly overall mostly because of Japan.

Rest of world Sega won can't remember USA think SNES won.

Megadrive/Genesis was winning until 93/94 iirc. Launched earlier and Sonic blew up before SNES arrived in some countries or very close to SNES launch.

Sega had the games SNES had SMW and that was almost it (1991).

SNES got streetfighter II first iirc which moved units. It was the game to play 30 years ago. Couldn't even buy a SNES in my hometown but we still played SF2 via one shipped in from Australia.
It's surprising to see how much the Mega Drive/Genesis failed in Japan when compared to the rest of the world.

The worldwide sales of the Super Nintendo is just under 50 million, the Mega Drive/Genesis is 35-40 million.

In North America, the Genesis sold just under 25 million, Super Nintendo sold 20 million.

In Western Europe, the Mega Drive sold just under 10 million, Super Nintendo sold just over 5 million.

In Japan, the Super Nintendo sold 17 million, the Mega Drive sold around 3.5 million,

As a kid it seemed pretty 50-50 the split. It wasn’t until later I learned the Nintendo was basically dominant the entire time. But those close Genesis vs Super numbers make it clear why it seemed close in those formative years.

As a kid it seemed pretty 50-50 the split. It wasn’t until later I learned the Nintendo was basically dominant the entire time. But those close Genesis vs Super numbers make it clear why it seemed close in those formative years.

Sega was winning early on. Outside Japan it was either close or Sega won.

42/50 million SNES were in two countries.

It's surprising to see how much the Mega Drive/Genesis failed in Japan when compared to the rest of the world.
From my superficial analysis, the Mega Drive really didn’t have that good of a library for local tastes, but that wasn’t the prime issue: NEC released the PC-Engine in 1987 and that kind of sucked the air out of the room until Nintendo released its Super Famicom in 1990.

NEC would later release the PC-Engine in Western markets as the TurboGrafx-16, but they waited so long on it I think that the Nintendo-Sega duopoly was already so established it presented too big of a barrier to entry.

From my superficial analysis, the Mega Drive really didn’t have that good of a library for local tastes, but that wasn’t the prime issue: NEC released the PC-Engine in 1987 and that kind of sucked the air out of the room until Nintendo released its Super Famicom in 1990.

NEC would later release the PC-Engine in Western markets as the TurboGrafx-16, but they waited so long on it I think that the Nintendo-Sega duopoly was already so established it presented too big of a barrier to entry.

Looking back the gamers go where the library is.

Third party eg EA was pro Sega. Back when EA was making original good games.

If you launch first and have the game library....... Eg Saturn/Dreamcast vs Megadrive or 360.

Sonic the Hedgehog was intentionally aimed for a western market. Sega left each regional market to give Sonic a new backstory to help make it seem like Sonic was a character that was locally created. This changed with Sonic Adventure on the Sega Dreamcast, where Sega wanted all regions to follow the backstory they created for Japan. The only western trait left of Sonic is his love of chili dogs.

NEC wanted to rename and redesign the PC Engine to fit the North American market. The TurboGrafx-16 was released on August 29, 1989. The Sega Genesis was released August 14, 1989. The TurboGrafx-16 failed so much that NEC scrapped a European release.

Last edited:
Looking back the gamers go where the library is.

Third party eg EA was pro Sega. Back when EA was making original good games.

If you launch first and have the game library....... Eg Saturn/Dreamcast vs Megadrive or 360.
I agree with you 100%. The main reason why I choose SNES over SEGA back in the day was precisely for the library of games that appealed to me.

Some other odds and ends from the Nintendo experience across the Pacific: the Famicom could also be used for off-track betting on horse racing through the JRA-PAT terminal add-on. The service lasted from 1991 until 2015, so nearly 20 years after the last releases for the system.

As Famicom was shortened for Family Computer, the initial system also had a keyboard as an accessory as well as a version of BASIC. This does not come as a surprise when you learn the chip inside the machine (and the NES) was basically a license-manufactured 6502 which was used by the Apple II and Commodore VIC-20, among many other early 8-bit computers.

I have now looked at the question, and while I voted Sonic, I should have voted Mario.
Reasons:
  • Many Italians have been fascists before. Not many hedgehogs have
  • Multiple plungers can easily used to make some fasces
  • Super smash brothers is surely a thinly veiled code name for roving fascist bands
  • Brown will fit Mario's fashion style. And while brown is the natural hedgehog colour, it will just look lame on Sonic
  • Mario already has a mustache, can easily be shaved to make it better fitting for a proper fascist. It's harder to shave a hedgehog.
  • Mario rescues a damsel in distress, a basic theme of the patriarchy, from a subhuman enemy. From here it's only one step further to fascism. Sonic rescues little animals, making him a green eco-wuss, definitely left leaning
Therefore, Mario is more likely to join the SS than Sonic.
q.e.d.

EDIT: Who is reigning Italy right now? Yes, the neo-fascist party “Brothers Of Italy“. Which brothers do you think they mean? Wake up sheeple!

Last edited:
Disagree.

• Sonic’s environmental bent is similar to the pastoral Germany envisioned by many of the Nazis.
• Robotnik, now Eggman, is an obvious reference to “Judeo-Bolshevism“ based on his appearance and characteristics.

Wikipedia says:
He took the young Tails under his wing like a little brother, and is uninterested in marital proposals from Amy Rose.
• Hitler did not marry Eva Braun until his last days in the bunker.
• Sonic’s chili dog consumption may result in gas. Hitler was notedly flatulent.
• Tails is a largely worthless sidekick who can fly. Rudolf Hess was a largely worthless sidekick who did fly.
• Sonic is blue. Blue is the color of conservatism. Conservative parties under von Papen got Hitler into the chancellory.
• Sonic is short-tempered and prone to take big risks. Hitler was also short-tempered and took a big risk going through the Ardennes in May 1940.

ergo, Mario is wrong. The blue blur is the real fascist.
(edit: improved formatting for PC readability)

Last edited:
Is it known if Sonic was important in the start of the "furry" trend? Of course there were other animal/human hybrids before, but afaik those were either in cartoons (Thundercats etc) or not aiming for the audience to emulate them (like the myriad of freaks on the Muppet Show) :)

I thought it was pretty clear that the rings Sonic is collecting, refer to the Ring of Nibelung, by Wagner.
His name more than likely is an allusion to the nazi plan to bomb New York using a transcontinental missile.

Top Bottom