[MoO] Master of Orion 2 unofficial patch

Version 1.50.10 has just come out and contains:
- bugfixes,
- updated standard mods,
- new config parameters to mod the game,
- improved launcher,
- experimental Mac OS support (we like to hear feedback from users installing this version on their MAC machines).

Note:
The standard game mod from 1.50.9 "1.50 standard" has been renamed to "1.50 improved".
The 1.50.9 game mod "1.50 improved" has been dropped from the pack.
As a result there are now 4 core mods included:
- 1.50 classic
- 1.50 improved
- ICE-M
- ICE-X

enjoy!

Last edited:
I downloaded the your newest version. Runs great.

I ran across an issue that I had forgotten about. Not an error, just a game mechanic that can be irritating at times.
Let's say one has a good secondary planet in a system that we already have a planet in.
We add an outpost ship and a colony base to our build queue on our first planet.
The outpost ship gets built, but other things going on, or there is another ship at that same location so we don't see a change on the main map or whatever. The point is we don't notice that it's been built.
Then the colony base gets built.
We notice on the main screen in the background that the outpost ship is orbiting the planet, but the game wants us to decide on what to do with the colony base.
If we don't settle the outpost ship first, then we don't get the marine barracks, which was the purpose of building it in the first place.
The game only gives us the option of either settling the colony base right then or trashing it. Which I don't want to do either.
I want a "Wait" option so I can select the outpost ship at the same location, use it on the secondary planet, then select the colony base and use it on the same planet afterwards.
Would that be something that could be added in?

Last edited:
I downloaded the your newest version. Runs great.
[...] The outpost ship gets built [...] we don't notice that it's been built.
Then the colony base gets built. [...] the game wants us to decide on what to do with the colony base.
If we don't settle the outpost ship first, then we don't get the marine barracks, which was the purpose of building it in the first place.
The game only gives us the option of either settling the colony base right then or trashing it. Which I don't want to do either.
I want a "Wait" option so I can select the outpost ship at the same location, use it on the secondary planet, then select the colony base and use it on the same planet afterwards.
Would that be something that could be added in?
Thanks for feedback and good to hear that the game is running great.
Quite the annoying situation you describe. If i'd 'fix' it, rather than introducing a Wait button, i'd introduced a 'choose outpost prompt' before 'select colony base' prompt.
However improving this interface inflexibility is not easy and it's unlikely we'll get to it any time soon.

I understand there are priorities and probably more important issues have already been brought up.
Personally, I'd rather see any broken issues resolved before new features added anyway.
Still hard to believe after all these years that most 4x space games don't have the same great features in MOO2.

By the way, I ended up loading the autosave and settling the Outpost ship before the Colony Base was completed.

[...] Personally, I'd rather see any broken issues resolved before new features added anyway. [...]
Well, we like to add new features too if we think it improves the game / makes it more fun.
Also our priority list is not very strict and sometimes we go fix a seemingly minor item simply because we feel like it.
I guess that's the advantage of working on a fan project as opposed to a commercial project that is confined by deadlines and moneyz. :)

Hi, I have not yet tried 1.50.10 but I have a question.

In 1.50.9 I have seen a computer player with ships that have both Damper Field and a Shield. Is there a config parameter that controls this?

[...] In 1.50.9 I have seen a computer player with ships that have both Damper Field and a Shield. Is there a config parameter that controls this?
There is no parameter that control this and AI shouldn't fit Damper Field on their ships at all.
This sounds like a glitch in the matrix.

There is no parameter that control this and AI shouldn't fit Damper Field on their ships at all.
This sounds like a glitch in the matrix.

Could it be because I edited this table? (code box below)

Code:
#                                                  ___ID___Type(1 = Weapon, 0 = Special)
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_1       =    7   0;  # damper field ("damper system")
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_2       =    3   0;  # automated repair unit
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_8       =    8   0;  # displacement device
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_3       =   14   0;  # heavy armor
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_4       =   27   0;  # reinforced hull
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_5       =   10   0;  # energy absorber
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_6       =   26   0;  # reflection field
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_7       =   19   0;  # lightning field
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_9       =   17   0;  # inertia nullifier
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_10      =   18   0;  # inertia stabilizer
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_11      =    4   0;  # battle pods
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_12      =   38   0;  # wide area jammer
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_14      =   21   0;  # multi-wave ecm jammer
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_13      =    2   0;  # augmented engines
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_15      =    9   0;  # ecm jammer
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_16      =   29   0;  # security stations
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_17      =   13   1;  # spatial compressor
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_18      =   36   1;  # pulsar
ai_ship_design_defense_specials_b special_19      =   33   1;  # anti missile rocket

Well, that explains it then.
BTW, there's no need to list battle pods there since AI will always use b.pods if available.

Thank you for the info,
I guess for now there's no way to make the AI use Damper instead of shields on their ships. It will still apply to their planet defenses if they gain that technology, right?

Not sure if this has been answered before but I just tried it and I have a weird bug where every single branch and level of the tech tree has only a single option. Is that intended? I tried running every mod version and it is always the same.

Not sure if this has been answered before but I just tried it and I have a weird bug where every single branch and level of the tech tree has only a single option. Is that intended? I tried running every mod version and it is always the same.

Just in case you are new or inexperienced with Moo2, are you perhaps playing a race with the “Uncreative” penalty? That’s what it sounds like. The stock Klackons are Uncreative as a balance to their extraordinary food and production abilities.

Just in case you are new or inexperienced with Moo2, are you perhaps playing a race with the “Uncreative” penalty? That’s what it sounds like. The stock Klackons are Uncreative as a balance to their extraordinary food and production abilities.

DOH!!!

Hello
I was wondering if there was a list of the Planet names in MOO2 available. I can't load the game right now and it doesn't appear to be saved in any of the data files that are accessible through just looking in the folder the game is installed in. I thought there would be such a thing.
It might be in PLANETS.LBX but I don't know how to read an LBX file.

If you can help, thank you!

I was wondering if there was a list of the Planet names in MOO2 available.[...]
It might be in PLANETS.LBX but I don't know how to read an LBX file.
Assuming you actually mean star system names (there are no planet names, only designations I - V), you can find these in the file STARNAME.LBX.
Thile file can be opened with any plain text editor.

Oh, thanks.
I had MOO2 in more than one place, and one directory didn't have a STARNAME.LBX, and when I open an LBX file with any plain text editor it was just gibberish, but I eventually found one.

I take it that one would have to modify that "STARNAME.LBX" file on two computers to be identical if both were in the same multiplayer game? All computers involved would have to have the same identical file. Is that correct?

I take it that one would have to modify that "STARNAME.LBX" file on two computers to be identical if both were in the same multiplayer game? All computers involved would have to have the same identical file. Is that correct?

No, I think it's only used when generating galaxy, so only the file on the computer that creates game matters. Counterpart file won't affect the process.

Cool.
I was looking at the http://moo2mod.com/patch/MANUAL_150.PDF
and there is so much customization that one can do. If only the host's file is used, then that would make things easier for my two computers here.
I started out just looking for the mod that reduced cyber to 2 picks, but forgot which one it was.

If I wanted to add "mapgen /minstart = 1;" to my games, do I add it to the 1.50 launcher line on the icon?

Last edited:
Top Bottom