1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Maya First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 14, 2020.

1. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

Mayan just join the club of the civs I always put in my games with assymetrical systems: Kongo, Mali, Maoris. They look fun and I can't wait to try them! As a tall/science player, Mayan are my go-to.

Maybe the only complaint that I might have is that, while being one of the more unique civs, they don't feel unique. It's probably purely personal, but I like my civs with vibrant characteristics. Here, everything seems cool, but not so much. They do not have ultra-strong bonuses in one way and mega-strong maluses in another way (like Kongo or Mali). Kind of "meh" but that can be really interesting to play!

The pattern for your civ would be: your capital in the center, with, close to the capital, an industrial zone and an entertainment complex (because all your cities would be in the zone bonus), and all your external cities full of farms, plantations, observatories and nothing else. Put your units at the border to protect anyone who would attack you, and you're ready for the stars.

Also, people said that it's a shame that their is nothing tied to the city-states looking at the description that seemed to put an emphasis on the city-states layout of Mayan culture. But I personally think it's a good thing because:
    1. As people said, it might be an hint for Italy linked to city-States (and I WANT Italy; they culturally built Europe; and saying we can't have them because of the ROman, I would say that everybody want Byzantium while 1) the official name of Byzantium was "Roman Empire" so it was literally the same empire than the Romans and 2) they shared the exact same capital with the Ottomans during a long time, so TSL is always a mess)
    2. The ability is linked to the city-states layout of real ife Mayans. What Lady Six Sky is known for? Managing to gather cities under her rule in a time where Mayans were just squabbling anf githing cities-States in an endless war. And her LUA perfectly represents that: cities near the capital are the Mayan cities-states that bent to the rule of Lady Six Sky; the other, too far, are still reluctant to obey her and so produce less for the Empire. It's a very nice way to represent a cities-states league. Lady Six Sky managed to controll independent cities of her culture, and I always saw cities-states in Civ VI as completely different cultures. Having LSS being able to control ingame cities-states would be the same as if LSS would have, in real life, a special ability to deal with North American or South American cities/tribes/nations, which is false.
    So, IMO: very nice and unique design, can't wait to play them, maybe in a need of some more flagrant uniqueness. Biggest complain I would have: after having the Suguba and the Cothon as unique districts that change the look of the buildings in it, I would have wanted something similar for next districts ie the Observatory. I mean, the library and university kind of don't fit at all with the district (completely different colours).

borad, Inawordyes, Navelgazer and 4 others like this.
  2. bbbt

bbbt Deity

The Observatory definitely has it's issues compared to the Seowon (or even the base district) in that it basically has zero adjacency bonus when placed without using builder charges. It's pluses are you can still place districts around it and it doesn't require hills, but those are minor in comparison.

I'd say they should crank up that bonus/malus % overall for the effect tbh. 10/15% doesn't seem like a lot.

3. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The seowon truly shines because of the three kingdoms interplay with mines and farms.
    The observatory can also be built on flat land (doesn’t seowon need a hill?)
    I think the defense focus of the maya is the key differentiator. The farm thing for fresh water is cool but maybe not meta power.

BTW does anyone know if the aqueduct is set to give you fresh water modifier or if it gives you bonus to compensate for not having fresh water? IE can a Mayan city ever get more than +2 from an aqueduct due to no fresh water bonuses. If they can still get +6 then that really changes the calculus.

4. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Interesting civ design, will be fun to play. Not a big fan of how they have a fetish for making a lot of these leaders look fat and ugly though.

Metalz, Marathoner and TheSpaceCowboy like this.
  5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

There is a tie-in with disasters in that getting their farms destroyed would be apocalyptic.
    Housing and science could plummet either from war or natural causes.

6. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

The Maya are going to be considered one of the most dangerous civs in the game.

They have a powerful early ranged unit, bonus amenities, housing, and gold from *farms* (for god's sake), and a science boost.

Aztec are still number one, but Maya is dang close. They are explosive.

7. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

+2 science from each adjacent plantation tile

Obs.png

Meluhhan, borad, CPWimmer and 8 others like this.
  8. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

You don't play the game versus yourself in isolation, which is kinda the whole point of the game.

Which is more limiting: find a hill or find a resource that can be improved by a plantation?

Pitohui likes this.
  9. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

The opening line does not suggest that. It is phrased in the same way that the gold bonus on the mekewap is phrased.

10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, my edits added more based on closer reading. According to the spoken description and leader page description, it sounded like the plantation bonus is not stackable. But according to the in-game tooltip, it says +2 for each adjacent plantation. So certainly something to clarify.

11. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

But not every game features Korea either. If every Civ was compared solely to the Seowon, they should all pack up and go home.

My point is that being weaker than the Seowon =/= weak. It’s a strong district

12. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

It’s just ability wording. In the video when they mouse over the observatory you can see it says “+2 for each adjacent plantation.”

That text is auto generated when you add adjacency effects to things. It doesn’t lie.

borad and Atlas627 like this.
  13. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

17:00 CET (4pm UK time)

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Like maybe an expansive Aksum Empire direction? :mischief:
    A tall defensive strange isn't what I was expecting either. I enjoy it with Korea so I'm intrigued and will definitely give them a shot.

Guandao likes this.
  15. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

The in-game tooltip is actually worse, since it contains 2 sentences that suggest both things that are completely opposite to each other. The opening line says it doesnt stack, read further down it says it can stack. If it stacks then this district is good, if it doesnt then it is kinda mediocre.

16. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

But less limiting in a way. What's worse: a campus with only a +3 adjacency bonus if fully surrounded by farms or no campus at hall because not a single hill/all hills are occupied by strategic/luxurious resources?

17. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

You cant compare every piece of infrastructure to the Seowon to make a point, it's like apples and oranges, but when two pieces are designed to replace the same entity, and are meant to do the same thing, then yes, the comparison is valid.

18. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

I don’t understand where it says it doesn’t stack. It says +2 for adjacent plantations. If it didn’t stack, I’d expect the wording to be +2 for an adjacent plantation. Surely?

CPWimmer and Atlas627 like this.
  19. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Yes, it needs a hill, which means you're forced to lose some production.

IMO the Seowon is better early, since you can get at least a flat +4 as soon as you build it, while the Observatory require 2 plantations to achieve the same. As the game progresses, the Observatory has potential for more, so it's better for long term. It's easier to fit it in your city, since you can build anywhere and you want adjacent districts, while the Seowon becomes an obstacle for city planning.

Sostratus likes this.
  20. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

How often do you find yourself in the second situation, may I ask, or is that just a piece of imagination to justify your reason? I can easily imagine a situation that never happens myself, for example, what if the Maya spawns in an area with 100% hills and every piece of flat land is occupied by a luxury resource?