1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Maya First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 14, 2020.

1. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I was just playing with this - yeah, I don't think you can beat that.

HOWEVER. In civ the orientation of the tiles is different so things are rotated. If you actually try to do this ingame it must be like this:
    upload_2020-5-14_11-52-54.png

You can't go the other orientation.

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Well, we had Pacal as a pouty child in Civ 4, so why not?! Lol.

Smoking Squirrel was a successful warrior in his own right too, though subservient to the powerful Calakmul overlords. So he certainly would be a worthy enough leader (personally though I hope they go down the Maya queen roster again since there are at least two other warrior queens of note.)

3. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm kind of underwhelmed by this civ. With no bonuses towards getting builders, I expect the housing rules will hit you HARD early game. Not a fan of hard shoe-horning you into a specific playstyle by handing out penalties. Kind of surprised - and disappointed - that the Observatory has no intermix between religion and science. Something like offering a Great Prophet point at the very least.

Meluhhan, Zaarin and Sostratus like this.
  4. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

Yet you failed to show me yourself. :p

And indeed, it matters not. I still think she has overall a different feeling than Amanitore and more similar to Gorgo. Amanitore is kinda more threatening and her demeanor definitely has more pomp, while Lady Six Sky and Gorgo appear more like protectors (She protec!), somewhat more open towards the watcher, but also ready to defend their people.

5. King William I

King William I King

It's also implied the Maya UU has a stronger base attack on top of those bonuses. I don't play deity, but defending should be a breeze early game

6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Being the most well-known (and already used in two of the past appearances in Civ games by the Maya) is surely a good reason to explore alternatives and expose audiences to a character they likely know less about? Pacal was important because he raised Palenque to importance, but a society made up of a number of states with independent leaders can reasonably choose the leader of a different one. It's not a case of arguing over the merits of, say, one Chinese or English leader option over another who led the same country. Naranjo isn't one of the better-known Mayan sites, certainly, and I'm not sure what particular reason there is to favour her over either Pacal or the Civ III leader Smoke Jaguar (of Copan, also a better-known site than Naranjo), but Lady Six Sky's name has come up here multiple times in the past. I don't know the reasons why beyond a liking for female leaders (or an expectation that Firaxis likes female leaders), but I suspect her prominence here influenced the final choice.

I was forgetting that special districts are half price, but I suspect it's optimistic to expect the average adjacency bonus of an observatory to be higher than that for a campus given that siting near a plantation may often cost you siting near a mountain, as well as being a tile you can't use for a district or farm.

They get an Apocalypse scenario instead. Did anyone notice if they get Mayan calendar dates as they did in Civ V? I loved that touch.

Guandao, Zaarin and Xandinho like this.
  7. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

Still right tho :p

Just understand that I'm usually wrong about everything so I really need to be right about this :lol:

8. Denkt

Denkt Returned

UU is 28 ranged and 15 melee with +5 against damaged.
    Archer is 25 and 15. So 3 more ranged strength up to 8 more against damaged.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  9. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

With tightly packed cities there are certain natural wonders you are going to want to hope don't spawn near your capital for sure. Losing four tiles to something like Chocolate Hills or Pantanal would be rough.

For all the predictions of Maya potentially having immunity to natural disasters as an ability, it actually looks like they will be more susceptible. Droughts, floods, fires, and tornados can easily wreck multiple cities and destroy your farms.

Maybe Mayan palace should have a boost to housing as part of an ability just so you've got a little more wiggle room before your capital is up against the housing cap?

10. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

I feel like I would rather have +10% near capital and no change outside it, because no one likes penalties. But It's probably related to the fact that just settling near luxuries gives more amenities so a lot of your cities can start with ecstatic.
    Plus as shown by posts above you can fit a lot of cities inside that 6 tile range (although in reality i suspect people will go for 6-8 instead of 12 due to the terrain.)

It's going to be much more painful on maps that are larger or have rougher terrain/water scattered about. If they are biased to a nice flat plain/jungle start then on small maps, which seems to be the actual default, they will be just fine. 15% isn't actually that much for how chonky they can get their core yields.

DWilson likes this.
  11. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

But they also get a +5 boost if within 6 tiles of your capital, making them supreme defenders. Rushing the Maya will be tough.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It's a special mode that you can turn on and off for the base game. The Maya don't have to be in the game to play it. Though their release along with the mode was deliberate.

13. Icicle

Icicle Prince

I love the animation. This is a cool civ. :)

SirMediocrity likes this.
  14. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

Good job, firaxis didn't dissapoint , great leader, all should be happy ;)

15. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Just watched the video and haven't read any of the other responses yet but, wow! This is pretty much everything I would have hoped for from the Maya! Can't really fault it!

Science and farming bonuses, our first female mesoamerican leader, AND the hul'che which ACTUALLY USES THE CORRECT THE TERM!!! I was totally expecting it to be called "Alatlist" in typical Civilization fashion, so this really has me pleasantly surprised! Great work, Firaxis!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  16. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Wow, the video dropped the way the announcement of the DLC dropped - unexpected! I think most of my thoughts on the Maya are already expressed in the past 11 pages of this thread haha

Yes! Lady Six Sky! I screamed to the sky (not literally) when I heard she was the leader!

What time was the video posted?

Inawordyes, Guandao, Zaarin and 4 others like this.
  17. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

She protec from aztec

18. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

Maybe I'm some kind of scrooge but I feel kind of disappointed by the first look video. It feels kind of empty or something.

I dunno. Maybe I have a stomach virus or something.

19. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

I don't think a Civ (any Civ) with a unique science district (cheaper cost) can be considered as a weaker in general. If they are S Trier Civ? This is highly disputable. If they are A Tier Civ? Very possible especially in smaller maps. If they are B Tier Civ. For sure.
    Definitely not a C, D, or F Civ.

IvoryPavane likes this.
  20. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

A very good point. Half priced campuses alone are very strong.