[NFP] Maya First Look

Provided geography works in your favor.

But is the 10% yield bonus worth having that inner ring so jammed in there with minimal tiles to build on?
Don’t forget cities outside that range have a -15% penalty.

So it’s a 30% difference between cities in the ring and outside. Definitely worth maximising your cities in the ring.

re: the new resources.
- Is corn supposed to be this red? (I first thought it was cocoa and then I remembered cocoa is already in the game.
Yes, maize (the progenitor of corn) often can be red, or can be multiple colors, not just yellow.
Maize.jpeg

I am not very good at the game so could easily be misjudging this but to me they sound like they will be fun, and a bit different, but not especially good in the long run, balance changes permitting. Love the leader!

I really dig the design behind the Maya, extra housing from farms makes perfect sense, becasue while the Mayan ceremonial centers were massive, the population was quite extended around it with a mix of farms and suburban areas. awesome design idea Firaxis. Same thing with the obvservatory having extra adjacency from plantations, I think it might be very cool to go godess of festivals or oral tradition with Maya.

The bonuses thogards tall play are also wellcomed in a game that favours wide so much.

Design wise, honestly I was ready to hate it but I'm happy I was wrong, thank Chaak she doesnt have the "nose thingies" Pacal had in civ 5 and instead she got this nice Mayan profile.

Now Firaxis artists if you are reading this..don't hate me but there's a thing that really doesn't make her look Mayan, and It's going to sound weird, but its.

The eyebrows and the colored eyes....

Indigenous people in southern Mexico and Guatemala tend to have very little or very thin facial hair, and this shows in the eyebrows, they tend to be very light, bushy eyebrows...don't really sell the look, just a quick search so you see what I mean. Also...does lady six sky have colored eyes? honestly that just looks out of place.

Spoiler eyebrow galore :

Now...to try to make my point I'm retracing Lady Six Sky a bit, again, I mean no disrespect at all, I just want to see the art go the little bit extra it needs to nail the look. Maybe Its just work in progress? because I can see a lot of Amanitore in her.

Anyway here it is, only thing I did was give her dark eyes and ligther eyebrows...that's it. I hope the feedback is useful :)

Spoiler :
Lady-six-fix.png
[/SPOIER]

I honestly don't think they will ever do Italy (and this is 100% not based on the fear of what do I do with the map with both Italy and Rome in the same spot
I used to think this but honestly when you consider that we have had Byzantium and the Ottomans, and Germany and the Holy Roman Empire both in the same game before, I think the geographical clash is a pretty weak reason to exclude them. (That said, I would never have expected to see Georgia, Mapuche, Nubia, Canada, heck even Hungary in Civ before Civ 6 rolled around. Not to say that those Civs aren't worthy of inclusion but I couldn't see how they'd be squeezed in. We now have more Civs in the game than ever before, so if they were ever going to add Italy, the time is surely now.)

Culture, especially the Civ 5/6 incarnation with tourism, has been a relatively late addition to the traditional roster of Civ mechanics so I understand why Italy hasn't featured in the past when Rome has always been a staple. But now that culture is a mechanic that plays such a huge role in games, and we have things like museums and archaeologists and great artists and musicians... I just find it ludicrous that the game should continue to overlook the part of the world that literally invented the Renaissance.

I wouldn't say map RNG will be a problem when it comes to placing Observatory. It's not harder to find a place with two adjacent plantations (bananas for example) and build two farms nearby to get 5 science boosts than find a spot with 2 mountains. The bigger problem is a lack of freshwater bonus to your housing. You must build a worker very fast to get 6 population city.

I really dig the design behind the Maya, extra housing from farms makes perfect sense, becasue while the Mayan ceremonial centers were massive, the population was quite extended around it with a mix of farms and suburban areas. awesome design idea Firaxis. Same thing with the obvservatory having extra adjacency from plantations, I think it might be very cool to go godess of festivals or oral tradition with Maya.

The bonuses thogards tall play are also wellcomed in a game that favours wide so much.

Design wise, honestly I was ready to hate it but I'm happy I was wrong, thank Chaak she doesnt have the "nose thingies" Pacal had in civ 5 and instead she got this nice Mayan profile.

Now Firaxis artists if you are reading this..don't hate me but there's a thing that really doesn't make her look Mayan, and It's going to sound weird, but its.

The eyebrows and the colored eyes....

Indigenous people in southern Mexico and Guatemala tend to have very little or very thin facial hair, and this shows in the eyebrows, they tend to be very light, bushy eyebrows...don't really sell the look, just a quick search so you see what I mean. Also...does lady six sky have colored eyes? honestly that just looks out of place.

Spoiler eyebrow galore :

Now...to try to make my point I'm retracing Lady Six Sky a bit, again, I mean no disrespect at all, I just want to see the art go the little bit extra it needs to nail the look. Maybe Its just work in progress? because I can see a lot of Amanitore in her.

Anyway here it is, only thing I did was give her dark eyes and ligther eyebrows...that's it. I hope the feedback is useful :)

Spoiler :

The redesign looks really good, and is definitely more resembling of Native Mexica peoples (coming from someone with Mexica ancestry and family).

Don’t forget cities outside that range have a -15% penalty.

So it’s a 30% difference between cities in the ring and outside. Definitely worth maximising your cities in the ring.

But the capital and inner ring won't have many tiles to build both Farms (for Housing) AND districts (for yields to have +10%). It's going to be self-limiting.

So, if technically you don't get Fresh Water as Maya, how does the Aqueduct works? Does it give +6 housing regardless of where you settle or it still give less housing if you settle next to a river?

I'll ask

However each expansion will come with a patch that will include stuff like balance Changes and many have asked for buff to the tall playstyle.
No we absolutely don't want the artificial tall vs wide dichotomy back, just make population actually matter is all

Including the capital itself.

The LA says non-capital cities get the buff, and non-capital cities get the penalty. So the capital is just normal.

Any bets on the leader agenda? Im guessing something along the lines of "dislikes when leaders build cities far from their capital."

From their own capital, or from hers? From their own would work better for gameplay purposes. If you encroach on her territory she will be unhappy and may want to conquer your nearby cities, but if you stay in your own zone she'll be happy to leave you alone because she's better than you at that.

I'm not happy with the Observatory unless they've improved the AI in that area, in which case I'm thrilled. I think the AI currently doesn't care about *potential* adjacency bonuses at all. They have to already be there before they put down the district/improvement. That's one reason why almost all of the adjacency bonuses are to terrain, because terrain doesn't change as much. Bonuses from adjacent Plantations and Farms means they might put it in a stupid spot that can't have many, if they have none at the moment they place the Observatory.

I think min/maxers will get a lot of fun trying to build the best possible Mayan empire. For me it looks like an excuse to stick farmland everywhere because it looks pretty.

Yeah, it seems like it's going to be farms, plantations, and observatories. Don't try too hard to get production up. Buy everything like Mali does.

I was talking about the part at the end (you know, the part that had been previously mentioned and obviously looked like Amaniore's animations?)
Nope, no idea which "obvious" part you mean. Show me.

The both use a staff, they both use a similar (but not identical in both performance and impact) gesture. That's it.

So, if technically you don't get Fresh Water as Maya, how does the Aqueduct works? Does it give +6 housing regardless of where you settle or it still give less housing if you settle next to a river?

According to Carl in TheGameMechanic's twitch chat, the Aqueduct will give the +4 (which it normally gives if your city is not on fresh water), so that's pretty good, it certainly becomes a priority.

No we absolutely don't want the artificial tall vs wide dichotomy back, just make population actually matter is all
Population do matter but you can't use population to increase stuff like science much and that is why ICS is the optimal strategy. What you want is to get out as many campus as possible and to do that you need to do ICS.

Top Bottom