[NFP] Maya First Look

My main takeaway from the absence of the expected City-State mechanic is that of course they are saving that for Italy ;)

Can I, or someone else, tweet this to them as a heads up? There are several active devs and producers we could give a heads up that often look through tweets at them.
Sure! So I went back and forth on this one. Ix Mutal Ajaw refers to a specific woman from the Mutal dynasty of Tikal and a stelae that postdates Lady Six Sky’s death date, so Ix Mutal Ajaw actually cannot be Lady Six Sky. The stelae are similar though so I can see why Firaxis got them mixed up (Ix Mutal Ajaw even may have come from Naranjo’s line, adding to the confusion).

That said, Lady Six Sky was also referred to as the Lady of Tikal, perhaps because she beat Tikal later, so they might be able to use that instead, though probably “Ix K’uhul Ajaw” is a better and easier fix per my earlier post in this thread.

Per Wikipedia:
The name "Lady of Tikal" can also refer to Lady Six Sky of Dos Pilas/Naranjo, more commonly known as "Woman of Tikal". The first Lady of Tikal was born in September 504 while Lady Six Sky acceded to the throne at Naranjo in 682.[3]

Further details on Lady Six Sky’s name can be found on P. 19 of this handout. For those who want some more detailed info on Lady Six Sky beyond Wikipedia, look to the Maya blog here or the Discovery article here (which mentions the death of her unnamed Naranjo husband).

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the Maya city-names in the video? Are they using the more widely known Spanish/or later Mayan names or the native names from the glyphs?

Capital city has its genuine name, the rest are all modern names.

* Wak Kab'nal (Modern: Naranjo)
Toniná (Original: Po)
Palenque (Original: Lakam Ha)
Yaxchilán (Original: Pa'Chan)
Xunantunich (Original: unknown)
Copán (Original: Oxwitik)

My main takeaway from the absence of the expected City-State mechanic is that of course they are saving that for Italy ;)

I honestly don't think they will ever do Italy (and this is 100% not based on the fear of what do I do with the map with both Italy and Rome in the same spot

Interestingly they remove the necessity of river settles and promote a tall playstyle. I like it, another interesting civ playstyle.
The "no housing from fresh water" also means you get to focus 100% on those luxuries when you settle, rather than having to choose between two good spots you just go for the best one.

I like this civ pretty well, just wish the leader looked "cooler", but that doesn't really matter when I'm playing with them.

Hm, you're right; very similar at least.

Yeah, I'm just hoping that these animations are placeholders and they're not just recycling idle animations for future leaders.

Some additional thoughts:

Interesting to have a civ that can make a decent science game on flat grassland/plains terrain.

Warfare is going to be strange as Maya when you conquer a city and suddenly it doesn't have the housing to support itself.

The distant city malus isn't that bad... You'll for sure want to focus on the core but expanding is still a benefit for them.

So builder dependant! At least they shouldn't ever struggle to boost feudalism...

Yup exactly how I feel, observatories are much weaker Seowons.
Based on the current version of the game, yes that is very much true. Not just that but Maya except for its unique unit look like a weaker version of Korea and maybe a rather weak civ in general as it is designed for a playstyle that is considered ineffective.

However each expansion will come with a patch that will include stuff like balance Changes and many have asked for buff to the tall playstyle.

Well that sure was interesting. The bonuses aren't what I expected.
Glad we got Lady Six Sky.
Also glad the UU is named Hul'che.
I'm generally surprised that the Maya don't get any faith bonuses. I think the Observatory District could have at least gotten an adjacency bonus for Holy Sites.

Yup exactly how I feel, observatories are much weaker Seowons.

It’s not all about strength though. In my opinion, Korea is the dullest, least interesting Civ in the game. It has very strong but very monotonous abilities.

I prefer something that takes some planning and effort (and luck) to make strong, but with higher potential.

I like it overall. I think the 10% bonus to the capital and first few cities will be more impactful than people think, and the combat bonus will be very very welcomed for aggressive neighbours

Hmmm, I noticed that Lady Six Sky moves around a lot like Amanitore (almost identical in some cases). What does this mean? I hope it's just that they're still working on her animations.

Other than that, she looks super amazing and I am super excited.

upload_2020-5-14_18-47-51.png

If I got this correctly, 13 is the maximum number of cities in that 6-tile radius.

Based on the current version of the game, yes that is very much true. Not just that but Maya except for its unique unit look like a weaker version of Korea and maybe a rather weak civ in general as it is designed for a playstyle that is considered ineffective.

However each expansion will come with a patch that will include stuff like balance Changes and many have asked for buff to the tall playstyle.
A lot of Korea's strength is in their hill bias, but Maya will be more effective over a variety of maps and not be dependent on getting a lot of hills nearby (not just at their capital). And getting their ranged UU earlier allows them to play more aggressively upfront. It is pretty clear that these two are built from the same mold, but I think that Korea has more potential, Maya will have more flexibility.

View attachment 555618
If I got this correctly, 13 is the maximum number of cities in that 6-tile radius.

Ironically given their real world location I guess this means the Maya really don't want to start off on a peninsula (or anywhere with restricted building options)

Edit: Actually they might have the worst TSL position in the game!!!

Sounds like a very interesting approach to play with this civ.

Already looking forward to the map-pin-phase for planning out a future empire. Nice to know that you’ll want your cities within 6 tiles of the capital. Should be a good combo with the Colosseum.

She looks amazing, headdress on fleek!

Hmmm, I noticed that Lady Six Sky moves around a lot like Amanitore (almost identical in some cases). What does this mean? I hope it's just that they're still working on her animations.

Other than that, she looks super amazing and I am super excited.

Her cutscenes for agendas, meeting, war, etc. look like they have a good amount of variation from Amanitore's motions, but her idles are pretty damn identical.

Top Bottom