1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Maya First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 14, 2020.

1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I don't think so. This isn't Japan. You'll want those tiles for farms. Around 8 cities should be enough for Maya, and with a 10% growth rate in those cities, they'll gain pop at an alarmingly rapid rate.

2. Denkt

Denkt Reader

It don't take much more than change how building yields work. If for example a library is 0.5 science per population instead of 2 flat science you create a need to grow population in order to make the buildings better.

3. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I don't agree. While they do use the staff in a similar way (Surprise!), they have a different body language.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I really like civs that can build cities that look different to other civs, Incas, Neatherlands, Indonesia, even Maori with preserving the landscape, Mayans are going right into that category, with tall cities surreounded by a whole lot of intensive agriculture, farms and plantations everywhere. love it.

WorldWarIV, Jkchart, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

attracts pooh bears

7. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Likely Tomyris. Robert the Bruce also resembles Pedro II's model.

Are you taking about the palace used for the Aztecs and previously Brazil (plus Buenos Aires)? I think that one looks different from the one they used for the Maya.

8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Anyone else get flashbacks of Civ III corruption and ring city placement shenanigans when they heard the description in the video? :mischief: Thankfully, this design is much simpler to understand and the effect much less harsh.

Overall, nice design, looking forward to playing with a different set of rules guiding city placement, etc. Lady Six Sky looks great as well!

MrRadar likes this.
  9. Potworny

Potworny Chieftain

Spoiler :

upload_2020-5-14_18-23-24.png

Amanitore reference
    Lady Six Sky reference
    There is just a slight difference (although the resemblance is uncanny, look at the fingers around the spear) and Amanitore's model seems to be somewhat more detailed and less stylized in my eyes. I'm not totally thrilled about reuse of assets, but hey, we are getting new content and that's the most important thing to me. Rest of the new civ seems really fun.

borad, Inawordyes, Kimiimaro and 10 others like this.
  10. Phil Ken Sebben

Phil Ken Sebben Chieftain

So no Pacal the Great? What a huge disappointment. He is the most well-known and important character in what little we know of Mayan culture. Really bad decision.

11. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Tbh, even the malus doesn’t stop Maya being quite a strong Civ even if she decided to spread like a Phoenician plague.

Napkin math (please anyone who is smarter than me, replace with actual math)

Average Civ:

Campus for 54 prouduction, average 2 adjacency

Maya:

Observatory for 27 production, average 3 adjacency

After 5 cities, the average Civ will have spent 270 hammers for 10 science p/t (adjacency only), and the Maya will have spent 135 hammers for 16 science per turn (adjacency plus 10%). (Again, the math is illustrative Haha)

There’s a reason Korea has absurdly strong science and it’s a combination of stronger adj and lower hammers, the two strongest yields. The Maya shares this, even if they go wide they can slap down campuses quicker than everyone but Korea.

Maya are most definitely weaker than Korea, but frankly I wouldn’t want another Korea lol.

Definitely a Civ that will require some thought but absolutely not a weak one.

Datgingah, Xandinho and Uberfrog like this.
  12. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Chieftain

Well, I suppose trying to convince you would be futile. I still think they look extremely similar in some places an identical in others (specifically, the idle accept animation and the bit at the very, very end of the video)

Meluhhan and TahamiTsunami like this.
  13. nitedemon

nitedemon Warlord

You guys can all say goodbye to Venice. This is as close as Venice can be in CIV6.

14. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I think you'll find you're alone on that one.

15. Caprikel

Caprikel Warlord

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    I'd really like this change, flat yields should be something that you get from district adjacencies, rather than the buildings. I'd much rather have each district have a building that adds yield per population, and then another building that adds a percentage yield bonus.

Edit: Also to add to that, each district should also have a building similar to the Coal Power plant that multiplies the district yield bonus, so that way there's much more emphasis on actually having a district with a high yield rather than just spamming out districts with mediocre adjacencies. However we would still need something to penalize spamming more cities other than just a increased cost to producing settlers which will never be a meaningful deterrent.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Denkt likes this.
  16. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Oh sorry I wasn't clear, no I meant the Mayan palace doesn't reflect a particular temple or palace unlike other civs that have their palace based on a real building. The Mayan and Aztec ones are simply...pyramids, that kind of look the part. which is a shame because there's a number of temples and palaces they could have used for the ingame model.

Now, the Mayan one at least looks Mayan (the coloring helps a lot), the one I can't really ever get used to is the Aztec one it just looks as generic as posible.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  17. Xefjord

Xefjord Prince

She looks pretty cool, I definitely hope those aesthetic changes occur that were suggested earlier to make her look more Mayan and the animations get a little bit more polished, but everything else about her appearance looks great!

I will say, while her design is very interesting. As a TSL only player she may be a total RIP to play. I am actually starting to wonder if maybe @SeelingCat should hardcode in a couple resources for the Mayan to use, or raise the chances of resources occuring in the Mayan starting area somehow for YnAEMP. As given the fact that she isn't going to be able to build a massive amount of cities within 6 tiles of her capital on a -true- start location. She is going to be extra screwed if she doesn't even get any adjacency bonuses. This is a Civ where we are going to need to look for a starting position carefully to make sure she can make use of her start the best she possibly can.

I overall hope we do NOT see a shift towards largely tall play, I am happy to see some civs that can pull it off better, but I largely feel like Wide should continue to be one of the more dominant systems and I -hated- Civ 5 for its overemphasis on Tall play. If they can find some way to buff Tall without debuffing wide and/or totally eclipsing it. I would be more happy.

borad and TeddyMain like this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Mali was close, but the Maya are closer.

19. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Lady Six Sky is going to be my favourite leader. :p Excellent choice. Thank the forum for bringing her up from time to time.

What I hope is that we see some balance changes that going tall will be viable.

20. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Finally some substance! ^^ That animation of Amanitore wasn't shown in her first look, and it really does seem raaaather identical.

Though I don't mind reusing too much if it's only small stuff like the "nice trade!" animation. As long as less work for animators gets us more leaders! :D

TahamiTsunami, WillowBrook and Zaarin like this.