Mercantilism is terrible?

Im already using merc actually, its working great, but tech trading and barbs are off.

Should I bother filling in these two slots for some cottages?

Spoiler :

I dont even know how to Cuir rush QQ

WTF Darius just DOWed me at friendly WHY? ...

Oh, boudi capitulated him /quit game :(

Attachments

• LizOfKorea BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    44.2 KB · Views: 69
Cottages? No way, man, you already have plenty of those and it's pretty late unless planning spacerace. In fact, I would've moved the capital to Cheju for major bureau bonus. I'd put those 2 spots in and use farms for whips or workshops if planning on SP. With that many cities, you definitely don't need to quit on a DOW. Whip whip whip! You can obliterate the AI with that many cities. Even with 6-8 cities, you can fend off a DoW as long as AI isn't far ahead in military tech.

It may be a bit late for a Cuirassiers rush depending on the AI tech situation. A cuir rush is when you focus on Lib -> Military tradition, mass whip cuirs and go stomp all over the map. Depending on how fast you pulled the rush off (and your military prowess), you could conquer an entire Pangaea map with cuirs. Often, I'll break out with Cuirs and then go straight to rifling for Cavalry and finish the rest of the AI off with those. A cannons rush is also possible for you especially if you already have some siege.

@ bhvv

Heh. I really don't know how you play with these game settings man. No tech trading and Marathon!! Man, I haven't played that in forever......until now. And it pisses me off lol. And I promise, as soon as I reach Mercantilism I will switch to it.....after all, that's what this thread is all about.

Anyways, I opened Agr>fish>bw>sail>AH>masonry>Med>Priest(Oracle 1700)>Wrt>(Math)>Currency>Whl>Pottery>MC and am on my way to Poly>Mono(Org)>Monarchy>Alpha>CoL(I'll then bulb Philo)>Aesth>Lit>Music(CS I'll bulb with GM).

I prioritized commerce over hammers quite often to make sure I got to writing by the time I finished Priesthood. After picking Math from Oracle I had already pre-chopped forest in Capital and immediately made Library(1t) and ran 2 scientist(academy). Wonsan built a lh then chopped out TGLH and will work on the Colossus soon. Early Math chops helped get out the rest of my cities and early Currency makes TGLH more OP along with begging for lots of gold. I think I got almost 800 so far. Lot's of peace signs lol. So early currency is like being IND with mass fail gold ;).

Now if I wasn't Philosophical I wouldn't even bother grabbing Monarchy or Alpha. With Hinduism, 1 gold, 1 forge, and 1 temple that's more than enough happiness for all my cities. I'd head right up CoL>CS>then to Music. But once I finish The Colossus I'll most definitely be getting a GM (after one more GS) and the timing should coincide with a GA once I finish Music.

Will post an update and save when I hit Cuir war and MERC!!! ^^

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 137
You seem to have wasted 3 flood plains there.

And marathon no tech trading is awesome, I hate fast games.

To each their own. Those are the absolute worst settings in my book. Almost unplayable. And how do you figure I wasted 3 FP? There's room for the city to be placed later on the coast (1FP not used). That's why I said REX is bad ^^. Honestly, in most cases it slows you down quite a lot.

Oh my bad, just one flood plain unworkable.

I might have settled the spot to your NE, 1000 years ago. Now, I don't think there is a point anymore.

I haven't played tech trading on in years. I always felt it was almost cheating since a human can exploit it so.

Well I could finish it, Darius is super weak, but Boudi is super stronk and can just march through his capitulated borders now ... I only have 1 maceman, 2 axes, and 1 spearman in my border cities atm, that capitulation ruined the glorious map.

Frigging boudi becoming everyone's worst enemy then rofflestomping them all.

Another huge empire map for mercantalism, albeit crappy land compared to the last:

My economy is fine, I bulbed alphabet, but need 4 more workers before sticking my capital to research (I managed all that with just 6 workers so far, all cities are working improved tiles though).

No tech trading and broken economy, I had to!

Sigh, why do I get the Celts with their own religion and a bunch of peaceful AIs, and this time they were random:

This time its Brennus, but I am prepared.

Okay......1st turn of making Cuirs! You can easily get 30+ well before 500 AD and I would imagine by around 900 AD you could probably have 3 vassals and own 50 cities.

yuck, "heavy horseman". Is that BAT-mod? I deleted it because it changed unit names.

Yea I hate the unit name changes, but the rest of the mod is great.

Note that reloading instantly disqualifies any Hall of Fame game.

I know it’s many years later, but just for anyone else looking here:

Umm... maybe I’m not understanding you properly, but I’ve never had any problem getting on the Hall Of Fame with games I’ve saved and re-started (a LOT). (Only the ones I’ve won, of course.)

In case it makes any difference, I’m using the Civ IV Complete which has the vanilla, Warlords, and BtS. But I originally had a DVD with just the vanilla, and I didn’t have any Hall Of Fame problem there either.

Plenty of problems actually *winning* to make it to the damn thing, admittedly. ;-)

By the way, thanks to all of you for the info on Mercantilism, which is what I originally came in here for.

I ....

Umm... maybe I’m not understanding you.....

Civ IV has an in-game HOF feature that enables players to personally track their best games.

CFC provides a far more expanded and public Hall of Fame feature. Players can submit games to the CFC HOF by using the BUFFY mod (BTS HOF mod) and following the HOF rules (such as no reloading). My signature contains a link to the HOF page and forum where you can find all the info you need, if you'd like to submit games to the HOF. Anyone can submit games to the HOF.

Civ IV has an in-game HOF feature that enables players to personally track their best games.

CFC provides a far more expanded and public Hall of Fame feature. Players can submit games to the CFC HOF by using the BUFFY mod (BTS HOF mod) and following the HOF rules (such as no reloading). My signature contains a link to the HOF page and forum where you can find all the info you need, if you'd like to submit games to the HOF. Anyone can submit games to the HOF.

I think the "no reloading" phrase is the problem here. Taken literally, it would mean that all games need to be completed in on continuous session; no saving. But I think the HOF requirement is really "no rePLAYING"; no reloading to a point prior to what was last played.

But I think most people in the forum instantly know what is meant by the phrase "no reloading".

Or maybe I'm wrong (and probably a cheater in the few games I've managed to submit) and it really means no saving and reloading the game ever.

Top Bottom