Mesopotamia units

Have them Parthian archers be running away and shooting at the same time…

I realised just after posting that it wouldn't make any sense unless the other unit was moving too so it'd look like they're on a chase… much like in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Have them run in place, nothing wrong with that. I thought Kryten (?) did an old cut 'n paste of a horse archer that ran in place.

The point is that a running-on-the-spot animation could work for a Parthian horse archer delivering a Parthian shot (nevermind how C 'n P units look in game).

Edit: Here's the link for Kryten's old unit: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=18005 In the thread, he talks about having two attack animations -- one that is "standing-still-shooting-forwards" and the other that is
He dosen't run....he gallops!

The idea was to try and give the effect of horse archers shooting while on the move. In reality the Parthians were well known for shooting backwards while evading an enemy charge (this is where we today get the phrase "Parthian or Parting Shot"). After all, who would sit stationary on a horse while any enemy runs hundred's of yards/meters towards them? With a bow and a horse you can keep the enemy at a distance while still inflicting casulties; that's what made horse archers so good for so long; they can kill you but you can't even reach them.

However, I do admit it takes a little getting used to (have you tried two horse archer units fighting each other yet?) If you like, I can easily make a new less dynamic conventional civ3 "standing-still-shooting-forwards" FLIC instead of the "galloping-on-the-spot-shooting-sideways" one. It's no problem, and should only take a week. Let me know and I'll get started.

I'm quite ok with the unit running without moving (even if that looks odd) but I still assert that these old C'n'P units look weird, they seem to have a very flexible upper body especially in the run anim... I'm always amazed at some great mods that keep on using some very old units when there are some excellent replacements like the ones in this thread.

I got these from IB:SAI:

Paighân-î Sassâni: (medium infantry armed with spears and large shields)

JangAvaran-i Sassani (Heavy Infantry armed with javelins and swords)

Tabargân-î Daylamîg (Elite Infantry)

Kamândâr-î Shahi (Elite Foot Archers)

Payâhdag-î Nîzagân (Levy Spearmen armed with shield and spear)

Kamândâr-î Payâhdag (Foot Archers)

Savârân-î Grivpânvâr

Pushtîghbân Grivpânvâr

Zhâyedân Grivpânvâr (“Immortals” in Pahlavi)

Jân-Âvspar (Religious Nobles)

It seems that they have a different view on the Sassanid Army.

It is strange and unbelievable for those who are familiar with the Sassanid that used to be, cavalry as the spearhead and infantry served as cannon fodder. But these guys from Invasio Barbarorum: Somnium Apostatae Iuliani believe that Sassanid have field such infantry and they claimed that Sassanid infantry are superior than the Romans.

well, i think ares de borg has a bether answer than myself, but i will say that the sassanian empire fielded a superior cavalry to those of the romans, but when it comes to infantry the romans would have the upper hand. of course there were elite and recruited units on the battlefield but it also comes to strategy in war...

Seems like the primal question from Vinduu was about the different look of the Sassanid units - he even posted a link to compare with units from Sandris - and not about the strategy. And I need to say, I didn't see an adequate reply to their question.

As for me, both units groups look mostly similar - some decor differences and no mace cavalry in the Sandris pack. Sandris created units close to regular units from the IB pics.

Sandris, of course, you are very smart and read many smart books, but!
You need to understand - these guys from IB visited Sassanids & spent some time with them, took some photos which they distorted to save copy rights and posted on the inet! And who is Osprey after this all?!

Spoiler :

Mr Sandris, I hope you recognized a joke. :)

sandris, of course, you are very smart and read many smart books, but!
You need to understand - these guys from ib visited sassanids & spent some time with them, took some photos which they distorted to save copy rights and posted on the inet! And who is osprey after this all?!

:) :)

Top Bottom