Methods of Spicing DG5 up

Technically the intersite demogames (PTW and C3C) are a completely different kind of game, because they're forced to play one turn at a time. Most of our citizens have little patience for the glacial pace of PBEM. If you discount these games on this basis, then there is really only one "real" demogame on CFC.

The danger, which will never get full consideration now, is that more people will leave because the game is still vanilla than would leave because it moves off vanilla. This is why I think we need to consider a mod of some kind, just to keep the more restless natives happy.

The GOTM mod would be perfect, IMHO. It lets you play in vanilla, with rule changes which approximate the play style of PTW, and allowing PTW civs to be included. There is no question of stability or whether it is balanced with a normal game, given that there have been 100's of games played on it in competition.

Size is a consideration for some mods, due to people having modem connections. We could start a list of people with broadband and CD burners who are willing to burn mod disks and mail them to the unfortunate.

I saw somewhere that mac users could get conquests and then use it to play PTW, thereby getting rid of the "PTW is not available" excuse. This is not an offer to do so given I don't know how many mac users there are :eek: but we could take up a collection and give them conquests as a gift. :)

Anyway, enough babbling about things that cannot be. Let's at least play a mod :hammer:.

PTW will not work on a mac. No question.

GOTM staff are working on a 1.29f-PTW equivalency mod. This is a stripped down version of the full GOTM mod which only includes the stuff necessary to be able to make 1.29f play in an equivalent way to PTW. So this mod will contain PTW civs, UU's, leaderheads and a couple of buildings.

I'm not sure how big the download will be yet, but it should be a "reasonable" size.

A more ambitious approach might be to play the GOTM Mongolian Mod on a new map. It is truly awesome, with many new civs and minor tribes and the Mongols have 3 UU's. It's a bigger download though.

Finally... You might try Vanilla DyP, Mmmm. A DyP demo game would be a truly Epic game.

Speaking of other demogames, I'm getting a bit impatient, and have started planning a much simpler version (all done in chat, far less bureaucracy, more democratic, no leaders). So if this doesn't go anywhere soon I might start that. :p

mad-bax said:
Finally... You might try Vanilla DyP, Mmmm. A DyP demo game would be a truly Epic game.

While it is still on the list, Problem with DyP, primarily is size. It's a large download for modem users.

Though if each person was determined enough I believe it should downloadable overnight, esp. with 36.6 - 56k. There also are programs which allow you to resume incomplete downloads(ie. DAP), so they modem users could download it little by little each time they logged on. In fact using these methods I think all modem users would probobly be able to have it finished by now.

Edit:
According to several Download Calculators (one out of the 5 sources I checked gave times of 1-2 hours more then what's shown) the downloads shall take in Hours:Minutes:Seconds

56k 2:42:16
28.8k 5:15:32
14.4k 10:31:05

My point is just because it's gonna take alot of time doesn't mean Modem users can't do it, and more so that they don't neccisarily have to be online for X hours straight if they use a downloader which supports resumable downloads.

Epimethius said:
Speaking of other demogames, I'm getting a bit impatient, and have started planning a much simpler version (all done in chat, far less bureaucracy, more democratic, no leaders). So if this doesn't go anywhere soon I might start that. :p

Epimethius, this is part of the process, we normally restart the Demogame at the begaining of a month, ie. this Demogame is going to start July 1st, not before, however we will likely have elections the week or so beforehand.

Edit: I'm Hoping to Have a poll on this up by tomarrow

Falcon02 said:
Epimethius, this is part of the process, we normally restart the Demogame at the begaining of a month, ie. this Demogame is going to start July 1st, not before, however we will likely have elections the week or so beforehand.

I don't think July 1 is wise, we haven't agreed on a rule set yet. August 1 is far more realistic.

Black_Hole9 said:
yes, August 1st is much more realistic
At the current pace, and with the current lack of focus, I question even that date.

-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom