Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (octa)

Originally posted by tjedge1
...Maybe ashland could be the LM marsh...
Nope. Mountains, hills and forests are the only "covering" terrains that can have LM Terrains. These are easy (easier, at least) to make. The "hard" terrains that can have landmarks are desert, plains, grassland and sea. I don't think I forgot one here. :)
This gives us a maximum of 7 different types of landmarks, though I don't think we'll need that many.

Dense Forest is good in my opinion (Mirkwood + Fangorn + Old Forest)

And, not to restart the Tundra arguement, but responding to PCH; have you heard of people irigating alaska, northern Canada, Siberia and such? The food comes mostly from Fishing and hearding as far as I could tell. They don't get the food from agriculture as much, because there's not enough growing season

And in the book, WHAT LIVES IN TUNDRA? As far as I can remember, nothing except barbarians (dragons, orcs), and only small settlements can survive next to them. So, in my book, "Tolkien Tundra" shouldn't have anything good. But, the arguement is over
~
~
~
Back to the current
(quoted)
Who wants Marshes? -Yes, keep them, there are enough
Who wants Ashlands? -Landmark
Who wants something else? -Not me

We need to do something with Jungle, but what?
Who wants a ‘Dark Forest’? -Thick forest, preferably, but ok
Who wants a moor like “Wilderland’? -I'd be fine with that too.
Who wants something else? -dunno

It seems that in the book(s) "wilderland" is just anything that isn't civilized. So it describes everything East of the Misty mountains (in the north at least) and parts of land like the barrow downs. So, I'd prefer to have the thick forests (which could all be grouped under Wilderland) as one thing, then another for the moors, thickety places, etc as "Wilderland"

I'm rambling and making no sense, but oh well

I'm not regular guest here, so I don't know how much my vote counts, but:

marshlands are - must be
dense forests - absolutly ( with a litlle bit darker look )
ashlands ( with better values then desert - for mordor )

in tundra stuff I reallly really dont wont to interfere....

Huh? Voting? I've nodded off over the weekend...

I like Marshes.

Ashlands are nice too.

Deep dark dense forest is good.

Downs would be a good wilderland, moor-like, eh?

Did I get everything?

La la la la...

Well that makes it approximately 20 for Dark Forest and Marshes, and 1 for Wilderland and Ashlands:rolleyes:. But still that’s good, at least we are going in some type of direction. (however wrong I think that direction is:mischief:. )
Now we just need a vote on ocean, and we should be good for the terrain tab.

Who wants 0 defense for Sea, Ocean and Coast?

Who wants 10 defense for Coast, Sea, and Ocean.

After this I will get that overview done. Any news on a possible website, Celeborn\embryodead?
Maybe we should try an MSN group site, a lot of people use them.
I will not migrate to a new sites forums, but a simple page where we don’t have to write in any code, or at least we can use html, far more efficient.

I abstain from voting on the defence values of watery tiles. I am not properly informed or even opinionated.

(Heck, I don't think I was very well informed re: ashlands and wilderlands either, was I? Oh well...)

Hello,

I think that the defence bonuses are suppossed to even out the advantage that is given to offence in the basic combat calculations. can't remember where I read that, but I would leave it.

One other question -- there was a thread somewhere in this forum on how to keep old ships to the coasts. basically it reccommended putting movements of all types of terrain to 3 moves and then letting old ships ignore coast, mideavelal ships ignore sea move cost, and industrial and above ignore ocean. Perhaps we should try it?

RRnut

Originally posted by mrtn
Nope. Mountains, hills and forests are the only "covering" terrains that can have LM Terrains. These are easy (easier, at least) to make. The "hard" terrains that can have landmarks are desert, plains, grassland and sea. I don't think I forgot one here. :)
This gives us a maximum of 7 different types of landmarks, though I don't think we'll need that many.

This is a delayed response, but would it possible to have ashlands as the LM Desert? That would be tougher to make as you say, but I think it would go better with the area in Mordor if it looked more like a barren rocky land.

As far as water defense, I'm not qualified to vote on that either. I would say leave it as 10% since it seemed to be fine in the normal game to me.

It doesn't matter if it's the LM Desert or LM Grassland, it is just as hard to make the graphics, so we should see how we want to treat it in the mod first, whether we want to have it impassable for certain units, allowing colonies and such. Then choose which terrain to base it on.

As is for sea defense bonus....

Hmmm defense bonus on sea ( no where to hide, slow mowement ) . . it sounds kind of silly, so I wote for 0%...

Originally posted by sosco
As is for sea defense bonus....

Hmmm defense bonus on sea ( no where to hide, slow mowement ) . . it sounds kind of silly, so I wote for 0%...

silly or not, you always played with it. +10% is the default setting for Civ3.

Originally posted by mrtn
It doesn't matter if it's the LM Desert or LM Grassland, it is just as hard to make the graphics, so we should see how we want to treat it in the mod first, whether we want to have it impassable for certain units, allowing colonies and such. Then choose which terrain to base it on.

Ok, I understand. Can't argue with an armed Santa. :p

I'll drop this then till it comes up again. If it does.

Originally posted by tjedge1

Ok, I understand. Can't argue with an armed Santa. :p ...
You can't? :eek:

And of course it'll come up again, ashlands belong in ME. :)

Hello,

Was going through my file today that I'm creating listing reccommended stats and costs for units. Was thinking that we were reccommending that all of them be wheeled. Then thought that how would we be able to take out barbarian camps on mountains?? second thought -- how do we hook up resources on mountains? Have some ideas, but what are everybody elses?

RRnut

silly or not, you always played with it. +10% is the default setting for Civ3.

Mmm o.k. ! But sometimes in Civ3, when I was atacking Galley with Destroyer... it managed to sink my ship. And you know: Galley wooden, destroyer not... If we set 0% bonus in ME, there would be ( not much difference probably) litlle bit better.
I know that in ME there will be no steel ships ..... and you know...bah, I'm probably making no sense. Sorry.

Originally posted by RRnut
Hello,

Was going through my file today that I'm creating listing reccommended stats and costs for units. Was thinking that we were reccommending that all of them be wheeled. Then thought that how would we be able to take out barbarian camps on mountains?? second thought -- how do we hook up resources on mountains? Have some ideas, but what are everybody elses?

RRnut

I say not to worry about them. Orcs and stuff always bothered the people on the lands below them and was never dealt with in the mountains, just contained there and it would add some extra excitement for the game. Let the dwarves wipe them out I say!:viking:

RRnut..

I think then Workers will not be wheeled would work, they're basically undefended in the mountains (to make resources). And maybe at least 1 unit per civ can go through mountains (but it's a crappy one). Maybe a generic unit for all good guys called "Dwarven Mercenaries" or something

Top Bottom